Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

not trying to be gross: does anyone else get bad flatulence while flying?

Old Sep 19, 05, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA

For some reason flying makes me fart a lot.

It's particularly bad on trans-Oceanic flights. I can't tell if it's the food (quite possible), the fact that I'm usually wearing a seat belt and I tie it too tight, or some other factor.

So, anyone else fart a lot while flying? What do you do (if anything) about it?
Old Sep 19, 05, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998; 3 Million Miler; ex-GS; DL Diamond Medallion since 2015
Interesting! I have noticed that on many of my trans-Atlantic flights, the person sitting next to me is always passing gas. Bad gas. I thought it was a bit more than coincidence that I always got seated next Mr. or Mrs. Flatulence.

I personally don't have a gas problem on flights.

Note for the gassy folks: is there any way that you can NOT release gas while sitting next to me? I (and your fellow passengers) would certainly appreciate that.
Old Sep 19, 05, 9:49 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Calling any MD's too the Thread!
Old Sep 19, 05, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by NWA_5479
Calling any MD's too the Thread!
The cabin is pressurized to 7 or 8 thousand feet rather than sea level. I believe that gas expands at higher altitude and compressses below sea level, therefore it would stand to reason that at higher altitudes you will have more gas in your colon, hence the consequences of passing gas. Whenever I fly on a flight more than 4 or 5 hours I experience this gaseous distension. \hope this helps! Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 05, 11:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
No worry about being gross. This is a very common occurence among people flying.
One can prevent it to a certain degree in that one carefully refrains from certain foods 24 hours prior to the trip:
avoid onions or any other food known to cause flatulence like cabbage, beans, leek, etc.
avoid drinking any "fuzzy" beverage before the flight like mineral water, coke, beer, etc.
ask your doctor for a medication that controls flatulence.
in the worst cases, try to have a thorough bowel movement right before the flight.
one good product is also natron or baking powder, mixed in a little water. Vile to drink but causes wonders.
There is no excuse for a passenger to let wind at his seat. There are lavatories on the plane that can be used
Old Sep 20, 05, 4:54 am

Here's a neat science project for your next flight. Bring a balloon on board, blow it up to half-full, and tie it. Then watch your seatmate's surprise as the balloon expands to full size as the plane ascends.

That's more or less what also happens within your colon.

The "no excuse for a passenger to [pass] wind at his seat comment" is uninformed beyond all belief, but more experienced travelers will learn how to fluff their farts and discreetly use the overhead air nozzle to minimize adverse impacts (or at least shift the blame to someone else).
Old Sep 20, 05, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by tealeaf99

Note for the gassy folks: is there any way that you can NOT release gas while sitting next to me? I (and your fellow passengers) would certainly appreciate that.
Those vaccuum toilets not only hide the brrrap noise but if you time it right while sitting on it the suction can help you get out every last bit of the rancid green vapor.
Old Sep 20, 05, 5:02 am

Programs: Delta 2MM/GM , HH <>, AX-Plat
What part of "Beano" don't you understand?

It's OTC and helps a lot with gas producing foods.

If you're lactose intolerant add "lactaid."

If you want to be _very_ nice, try taking each before a flight and with meals. See if that helps.

Jim
Old Sep 20, 05, 9:43 am

Here's a simple non-pharmacologic approach.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by tealeaf99
Where are you sitting? The flatulence doesn't stink in F. They smell gently of lavender and pine. That's what I read in their faces anyway.

Side question: Can you hear farts on an airplane? My hearing is about 25 gone so I'm a poor judge. I'll let one go, assuming the combined sound of engines and air blowers and ambient converation covers the sound. I've never seen anyone staring at me with a "Was that you?" look.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:13 am

Programs: NW, US, AA
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
For some reason flying makes me fart a lot.

It's particularly bad on trans-Oceanic flights. I can't tell if it's the food (quite possible), the fact that I'm usually wearing a seat belt and I tie it too tight, or some other factor.

So, anyone else fart a lot while flying? What do you do (if anything) about it?
Sounds like you could use one of these

http://www.under-tec.com/dp_article.htm
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:35 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
It is not unusual for the desire to fart to go away after you stand up. So you are in the airplane lav and can't let it out there so you come back to your seat and then the desire to fart comes back. (If you sit down on the closed lav seat and wait a few minutes you will usualy succeed in getting the fart out.

Alternative: Bring along a bottle of perfume and rub a little of perfume on your fingers a minute before you decide to fart at your seat.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I am usually in J class and I let them ooze out silently like many others and let the airplane air recycler take care of the rest. It is an inevitable task.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:46 am

stress of flying experience adds to the whole mix. try chinese herbs -- never fly without them. hysterically funny but true thread.
Old Sep 20, 05, 11:47 am

Programs: BA
It's the reduced cabin pressure that does it. In skydiving planes that get up to 14,000 feet umpresurised it is indeed a - er - very standard event. Though with the door open, a gale buffetting round inside, and the engine and propeller right outside the door, you don't notice so much !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: