Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

not trying to be gross: does anyone else get bad flatulence while flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

not trying to be gross: does anyone else get bad flatulence while flying?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
Steve Fenton is my hero

Gawd - I can't stop laughing now. Thanks Steve. One of my favorite lines from an unknown source: "I'm 50 years old and still think farts are funny".

On a serious (?) note - I find that GasX works very well. Used to have shall we say "issues" on long flights, but no more. One such "issue" lead me to have my own biff for an entire flight from Brazil.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
Last week I did a 13.5 hr flight to Frankfurt and then a quick 1.5 hr hop to manchester. The guy behind me on the manchester flight,kept snorting so loud to clear his nose its was gross and making me feel sick. Well I had one brwewing and decided to let it go as all the seats around me were empty and when it slipped out I used the saftey instructions to direct it in his space and yes it worked. He got up and moved t the back of the plane.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
I am proud to say that this is one problem I do not have when flying, but i would take it anyday over having so many of my flights delayed or cancelled (4 of the last 6).
Old Apr 3, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
At 8000 feet it starts to crush
Why would it start at 8000'?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I sat behind Seal (big-shot celebrity singer) on a short flight recently. For whatever reason, I had some bad gas. So bad that he turned around and glared at me. I tried to stop, but there is an embarassingly perverse pleasure you can get by upsetting the life of someone who feels they are above everyone else.

After the flight he disappeared into a special VIP BMW on the tarmac with his entourage and sped off to a place where people like me cannot bother him.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:08 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
Last week I did a 13.5 hr flight to Frankfurt and then a quick 1.5 hr hop to manchester. The guy behind me on the manchester flight,kept snorting so loud to clear his nose its was gross and making me feel sick. Well I had one brwewing and decided to let it go as all the seats around me were empty and when it slipped out I used the saftey instructions to direct it in his space and yes it worked. He got up and moved t the back of the plane.
Why do people do this?. In the UK if someone does this it is the height of bad manners and they would get glared at. But I have noticed in the USA it happens all the time; on planes, even in meetings. GO TO THE BATHROOM AND BLOW YOUR NOSE AND CLEAR YOUR THROAT FFS"
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by GopherPuckGuy
Gawd - I can't stop laughing now. Thanks Steve. One of my favorite lines from an unknown source: "I'm 50 years old and still think farts are funny".
Without searching, I would automatically attibute that quote to Dave Barry.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 9:14 am

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
Originally Posted by wideman
more experienced travelers will learn how to fluff their farts and discreetly use the overhead air nozzle to minimize adverse impacts (or at least shift the blame to someone else).
Looks like someone else knows the secret tactic...more than one nozzle directed to my sector usually clears out the contaminated cloud more rapidly than one. On the same note, the nozzle can act as a source of "fresher" air should your seatmate befuddle the atmosphere, just don't stand up and put your mouth on it like a snorkel. Also, you can direct the air nozzles toward the culprit if they are in front or behind you to get the noxious fumes rolling away from you. Ahhh the knowledge gained from FT...truly priceless.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by viajero7889
Looks like someone else knows the secret tactic...more than one nozzle directed to my sector usually clears out the contaminated cloud more rapidly than one. On the same note, the nozzle can act as a source of "fresher" air should your seatmate befuddle the atmosphere, just don't stand up and put your mouth on it like a snorkel.
^ ^ ^

I had this mental image of the oxygen mask part of the safety video - mom sucking the nozzle first then giving the lapchild a hit.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:29 am

What about "Number 2"

Along the same lines flying does not scare me. Give me turbulance or an emergancy evacuation, flyover any day. However the thought of going "number 2" on overseas trips is the one reason I have an Admirals club membership. I am booked next month on a 17 hour flight to Cape Town. OMG, 17hours! without a pretty wooden door, not to mention the lack of ... gaskets.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by GopherPuckGuy
One of my favorite lines from an unknown source: "I'm 50 years old and still think farts are funny".
I'm only 40, so it's good to see that I can be immature well into my older years. ^

Yeah, I farted.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I try my hardest not to do a number 2 on an airplane; very disgusting. I'll hold it in until I'm at my destination.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I saw this article and somehow remembered this thread. A worthy bump?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...more-on-planes
Old Dec 28, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
FT does not disappoint as usual - expert advice in fartology is readily available.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:43 am

Get some simethicone already

The question isn't who farts, it's who doesn't fart on a plane (and the answer is nobody.) It's a combination of the pressure, the long stretches sitting, the jostling of the plane, and the way you deviate from your normal diet when you travel.

Go easy on meat and dairy for 12-24 hours before you fly, and avoid beans, soda, onions, cabbage, cashews, and whatever else makes you fart or makes your farts stink worse. Don't eat a lot of fat or sweets before you get on the plane -- no airport terminal Cinnabon, no Big Mac. Take some simethicone once you've boarded the plane, either by itself or in a tablet like Gas-X.

Not only will you fart less, you'll feel less logy and bloated and out of sorts when you arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.