Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by robb
I suppose Kohlberg forgot about Stage 7 - What would Ned Flanders do?
I don't know what to say, I have a thing for stationary. That and boxes, I love saving boxes from really expensive purchases. It's hard to come across a quality box nowadays, so whenever I pick up something from Tiffany's, Mont Blanc, Gucci, or whatever, and it comes in a nice box, I save it. I'm kind of crazy like that. Since we already have WWJD (what would Jared do?) is it time for a WWNFD?

Originally Posted by SMessier
You're supposed to return the shampoo after using it? What are you going on about?

If the OP wants to steal stuff that's his choice -- but please don't tell us taking things that are sold without paying for them isn't stealing. (Or that you're doing a favor by displaying towels with a hotel's logo in your home: "Gee, I was going to stay at the Four Seasons but I saw a Hilton towel at tazi's so I've decided to stay there instead.")
SMessier, I think you're missing my point, I'm simply trying to stop the proselytization that's going on here, i.e. "You are a towel thief and a sinner REPENT!" and "If I were a parent of a child asking if he could "borrow" a hotel bathrobe, I would feel terribly terribly ashamed of both him and myself and recognize at once the awful failure I was at parenting." It's terribly rude and hypocritical to chastise the OP for a crime that doubtless has been committed by some of the various people denouncing him in this post.

Originally Posted by jfe
Let him who has never taken anything cast the first stone.
^

Last edited by JPGIV; May 12, 2005 at 1:22 pm
Old May 12, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by JPGIV
I don't know what to say, I have a thing for stationary. That and boxes, I love saving boxes from really expensive purchases. It's hard to come across a quality box nowadays, so whenever I pick up something from Tiffany's, Mont Blanc, Gucci, or whatever, and it comes in a nice box, I save it. I'm kind of crazy like that. Since we already have WWJD (what would Jared do?) is it time for a WWNFD?
*Sigh* Would Jared actually call down to the front desk before using the stationery provided for guest use as well?
Old May 12, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
What about slippers? We stayed a hotel that provided slippers with their logo. I just assumed we could take those because the idea of reusing them is so incredibly nasty and they were clearly new (which told me they were not reusing them), so I told her too. Was I wrong? If I was, sorry! I certainly didn't intend to steal anything!
Old May 12, 2005, 7:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

SchmeckFlyer is undoubtedly very sorry he started this thread.

I just received the electronic copy of Business Traveller.

Selling robes and more is a $60 million business

12 May 2005

If you stay at high end hotels, the robes provided are just one of the little perks you'll enjoy. In fact, some guests like them so much, they slip them into their suitcases at the end of their stay (don't try it, hotels charge the cost of the garment to your bill – plus, it's theft).
Old May 12, 2005, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by MFLetou
What about slippers? We stayed a hotel that provided slippers with their logo. I just assumed we could take those because the idea of reusing them is so incredibly nasty and they were clearly new (which told me they were not reusing them), so I told her too. Was I wrong? If I was, sorry! I certainly didn't intend to steal anything!
I would hope that they fumigate their footwear between guests, if they weren't meant to be removed as souvenirs.
I've always seen a specific notice about robes regarding "purchase" payment expected, so would have thought the slippers were probably free without such a disclaimer. Were I truly interested in returning home with them, I'd have asked the desk clerk their cost, hoping for "Oh, they're complimentary!"
Old May 12, 2005, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
*Sigh* Would Jared actually call down to the front desk before using the stationery provided for guest use as well?
Goofus & Gallant anyone?
Old May 13, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by SMessier
..."Gee, I was going to stay at the Four Seasons but I saw a Hilton towel at tazi's so I've decided to stay there instead.")
Hey ... I don't have any Hilton towels ... only Sol Melia
Old May 13, 2005, 7:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, CO, LA
That lamp looks good too...

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Question is... do hotels really charge for stolen/borrowed/taken bathrobes? I have a small collection of towels from various hotels around the world, for which I was never charged.

Has anyone else stolen/borrowed/taken bathrobes from hotels, and were you charged?

What else have you stolen/borrowed/taken from hotels? (besides toilettries) I did take the guide to all the LHW hotels from the Amigo.
Where do you draw the line when it comes to taking things that don't belong to you? Would you take one of the pillows...perhaps the comforter....why not one of those nice lamps or the TV??

Theft is theft. You know you aren't entitled to take the bathrobe. If you take it anyway, you're a theif. Sugarcoat it any way you want....but theft is theft.
Old May 13, 2005, 9:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Gee-I was sure tempted this last weekend during my trip to las vegas(see my thread in the Trip Reports section)The towels and robes at both the Green Valley Ranch and(especially)Wynn Las Vegas were sooooooooo comfy and nice-and expensive!But I was "good"and left them where I found them.
Old May 13, 2005, 12:44 pm

Robb, you kill me.

Say hey to Mr. Robb. No BCN for Jennie and I this year
Old May 13, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver
I wasn't asking if I could use it I was asking if I could take it, preferably ALL of it.

Although, I think you bring up an excellent point Robb- if the OP had a sandwich from Subway that day, well then, regardless of what he did or did not do, it's OK.
Old May 14, 2005, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
I would imagine that the high-end hotels would expect their guest not to steal from them. I mean if you have enough money to pay for a $200/night room then you have enough to buy your own robe. But at the same time I do see how if someone did pay that much, they would feel entitled to take something for free.

Basically, Hotels make plenty of money marking up mini-bar and room-service meals, high rates during big events. If you have the guts, then slip a robe/towel every now and then. Believe me, most of the time you've already paid for it.
Old May 14, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by smileymike13
Basically, Hotels make plenty of money marking up mini-bar and room-service meals, high rates during big events. If you have the guts, then slip a robe/towel every now and then. Believe me, most of the time you've already paid for it.
Also, if the hooker charged you a lot, it's okay to beat her every once in a while. She's expecting it and you've paid for it!
Old May 14, 2005, 10:06 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Also, if the hooker charged you a lot, it's okay to beat her every once in a while. She's expecting it and you've paid for it!
That's not what Ned Flanders would do
Old May 14, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by jfe
That's not what Ned Flanders would do
Well, before 8 months of spanking therapy at Calmwood he might have.

I still don't think he would steal a robe though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.