Reload this Page >

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2005, 5:57 pm

A couple of years ago I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya Thailand. In the guest information there was a price sheet for everything in the room including the clock radio, the TV and the mattress. Just tell them to add it to your bill. I'm still kicking myself for not having picked up the kimono style robe.

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Bathrobes are definitely off limits. You might as well take the clock radio, the TV, or the mattress.

In a few of the "nicer" hotels I've stayed at in the U.S. that provide nice plush bathrobes, there is a note saying that if you wished to purchase the bathrobe, you could do so at $ x.
Old May 10, 2005, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
Isn't charging $5 for a minibar item worth 50c a form of theft ?
What about when I replace the above item with an identical one bought at Walgreens instead ?
The crime is in the eye of the beholder.
Well, no one is saying that the mini bar is cheap, in fact it might be a better idea to use the mini fridge as just that, a mini fridge for refreshments bought elsewhere

But it is not theft to charge crazy high prices for tiny bottles of hard liquor and if you come back loaded and ransack the mini bar then don't look at someone else to blame when you check out.
Old May 10, 2005, 6:40 pm

I once knew someone that took robes off the maids cart in the halls of Bellagio. She avoided being charged that way.
Old May 10, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Some items in your room hotels put them there for you to take as a souvenir and also as advertisment i.e (pens.ashtrays,papers) They have the hotel name and information on it.
Towels,linen and bathrobes are a no no
As for replacing item in the minibar good luck trying to find those mini bottles of alcohol and soft drinks in the market,everyyear those bottles get smaller and smaller
Old May 10, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
ill bet that had you told your father that you would ask the front desk about buying one and billing it to the room he would have been fine with it...

interesting ad on a dvd i rented... said "you wouldnt steal this from a store, why is it ok to copy it?"
Old May 10, 2005, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer

Question is... do hotels really charge for stolen/borrowed/taken bathrobes? I have a small collection of towels from various hotels around the world, for which I was never charged.
Oh, and taking those towels is stealing too.

Your father probably can't wait for you to join him on his next business trip.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:21 pm

For me it breaks down to consumables vs. non-consumables. Stuff you might use up while there is okay, even if you're taking stuff that you don't actually use while staying there. I have a friend (originally from Russia) who takes this to extremes -- he puts soaps, etc., in his bag every day so the maid will replace them, and even takes the spare roll of toilet paper. (We're trying to break him of that.)

Stuff the hotel will reuse for anther guest -- towels, robes, matresses, TVs -- are off limits.
Old May 10, 2005, 11:59 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff
Originally Posted by mcrt
A couple of years ago I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel in Pattaya Thailand. In the guest information there was a price sheet for everything in the room including the clock radio, the TV and the mattress. Just tell them to add it to your bill. I'm still kicking myself for not having picked up the kimono style robe.
Last time I picked up a mattress from the room I had to check it. Wouldn't fit in the overhead bin.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:10 am

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I've never taken anything from a hotel room other than soap the hotel gives you. It's not like it's going to be left behind for the next guest to use.

Taking other items, towels, pillows, and who knows what else, IMHO, is a, "No, no. It's stealing."

Perhaps, some out there suffer kleptomania or something...
Old May 11, 2005, 1:27 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA Plat, too many hotels
If you want one ask to buy it

I really liked the lightweight cotton floor length robes at the Park Hyatt Tokyo so I called guest services and had one put on my bill which they promptly delivered (brand new) and proceeded to wrap for me to take home.

Most places have a price list and if you want something enough to buy it you always have the option to ask about making a purchase.

My hotel earlier this month in mainland China had a published price list for everything that wasn't nailed down (including the microwave and the minibar frig itself).
Old May 11, 2005, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by cjbryant
I really liked the lightweight cotton floor length robes at the Park Hyatt Tokyo so I called guest services and had one put on my bill which they promptly delivered (brand new) and proceeded to wrap for me to take home.

Most places have a price list and if you want something enough to buy it you always have the option to ask about making a purchase.
Thanks for the tip; will be sure to inquire next time I find a hotel robe I would actually want. I wanted to buy the bathrobe at the Amigo, at best have it be charged to my father's bill and then return the money, but he would still here none of it because he does not think the company should be footing the bill or that such things should be charged to the accounts to begin with. Principle I guess. That was the crux of the brief debate with my father... after it was quickly established that one could not take the bathrobe like one could take toilettries or the odd handtowel, we then briefly discussed charging it to the room. Just so people who are not reading my OP completely get the idea that I always intended to take the robe, and run out into the Grotte Markt with stolen hotel property.

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Oh, and taking those towels is stealing too.

Your father probably can't wait for you to join him on his next business trip.

Well, I guess I am just an evil person and I will rot in hell for all eternity for stealing a few towels, and my father must be ashamed of me.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:44 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Be real

If you really wanted to buy the robe, you could have bought it a check out by paying for it with a credit card, if your father didn't want it on the bill.
Come on, who are you trying to kid, yourself first of all??

Last edited by dh01; May 11, 2005 at 4:44 am Reason: typo
Old May 11, 2005, 5:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I'm amazed at the holier-than-thou attitude shown by some of the posters in this thread. If you want to talk about "morality" then where do you draw the line??

Browsing different forums in FT it seems a lot of the posters enjoy signing up for promos that they are not targeted for. Is that stealing from the hotel/airline in question? Or what about the photoshop activites to get a comp? (Regular BA forum readers will know what I mean ) Or what about the Priority Club forum where until last night all the (targetted) promo codes were displayed in a sticky. Yes in a sticky, for one and all to sign up on. So where do you draw the line then??

SchmeckFlyer certainly does not deserve the personal insults that some posters is this thread seem to be dispensing with ease and IMHO they are quite uncalled for.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:07 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
To me, taking a robe from a hotel room without paying for it is the same as taking it from a store without paying for it.

If you're comfortable with shoplifting, then I guess go ahead?
I agree with Doppy. To me it's stealing no matter how one tries to justify it.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Stealing is stealing. It is indeed that simple. You pay for the use of the hotel room and items during your stay.

That being said I am indeed "guilty" of stealing towels on two occasions. In my 25 years of traveling.

One I would like to attribute to youth. The other was attributed to greed and selfishness. Not proud of it now. But it's the truth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.