Wiki Posts
Search

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by dh01
If you really wanted to buy the robe, you could have bought it a check out by paying for it with a credit card, if your father didn't want it on the bill.
Come on, who are you trying to kid, yourself first of all??
OMG I can't win can I? Be real about what? A hotel bathrobe? Some posters are being terribly dogmatic. Just for the record:

1) I did not steal anything. The robe remains the property the Hotel Amigo.
2) Contemplating taking the robe and then deciding/realising it would actually be stealing, is not stealing. Nor is it a crime.
3) Taking the robe and charging it to the hotel is not stealing.
4) I am not a serial thief.
5) I never thought to go to reception to purchase the robe with my CC, so I apologise, but I was busy and had better things to do anyway.
6) Now I know it is possible and may be normal to PURCHASE a hotel bathrobe, and I will be sure to avail the receptionist of what I learned here.

But whatever... people are certainly entitled to their opinions. Maybe just lighten up a little and stop being so dogmatic... another poster was indeed correct that I had opened a can of worms or pandora's box. I had no idea this topic could insight so much heated debate. And all over a bathrobe!!!

Good day!
Old May 11, 2005, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Make certain you can find both bathrobes when you arrive and get the correct count immeditely , otherwise, there is a very good chance you will be billed for the missing one.

I find the Luxury Collection to be very sloppy on distribution, and on providing that second one in a prompt manner.
Old May 11, 2005, 6:04 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
No offence intended

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
OMG I can't win can I? Be real about what? A hotel bathrobe? Some posters are being terribly dogmatic. Just for the record:

1) I did not steal anything. The robe remains the property the Hotel Amigo.
2) Contemplating taking the robe and then deciding/realising it would actually be stealing, is not stealing. Nor is it a crime.
3) Taking the robe and charging it to the hotel is not stealing.
5) I never thought to go to reception to purchase the robe with my CC, so I apologise, but I was busy and had better things to do anyway.
6) Now I know it is possible and may be normal to PURCHASE a hotel bathrobe, and I will be sure to avail the receptionist of what I learned here.

But whatever... people are certainly entitled to their opinions. Maybe just lighten up a little and stop being so dogmatic... another poster was indeed correct that I had opened a can of worms or pandora's box. I had no idea this topic could insight so much heated debate. And all over a bathrobe!!!

Good day!
No offence was intended, in fact I did NOT accuse you of stealing, or of being a serial thief. I am sure you have better things to do, was only pointing out if you could not put it on the bill, basic logic would suggest just buying it at the desk. That's all.
Your advice to lighten up could apply to everyone, yourself too.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I personally don't anythign from hotels for, if no other reason, it is one more thing to carry. I don't need to lug aroudn the extra weight. For the same reason, I don't take the free gifts (such as bottles of wine) I get at some hotels. It's not worth the effort.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:48 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I agree with most of the posters. No matter if the hotels expect that some percentage of guests will 'borrow' their robes, it is still stealing. It's by no means a capital offense however, I think most hotels are well advised to put those notes on the robes about their price if you like them so much you want to take them. I would hope that makes most people think twice.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:57 am

I have a small collection of towels from various hotels around the world, for which I was never charged.
Old May 11, 2005, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've been in some fine hotels that actually have a paper hanging over the coat hanger that stated "the robe is for complimentary use; if you'd like to purchase one they are available in the gift shop" Some robes are great but so expensive! I have actually seen robes at the discount store "Tuesday Morning" where they had various robes for hughly discounted rates from famous hotels around the U.S.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:02 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Buzz Worthy?

So, the question no one else has raised yet, what does this post have to do with Travel Buzz? Is this buzz worthy?

In conclusion, it appears that everything has a price and available at some hotels to purchase and take back. That or they needed to post the price list to deter thefts or justify costs. You can purchase items without billing to the room as well with cc or cash downstairs.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've yet to find a hotel robe I want to buy if for no other reason than I don't stay in hotels that offer them
Old May 11, 2005, 8:23 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
Last time I picked up a mattress from the room I had to check it. Wouldn't fit in the overhead bin.

LOL!

Personally, I prefer the waffle weave type robes you see at W Hotels and Marriott Renessaince properties.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:27 am

In some parts of the world, sinks, toilets, and pipes are often stolen from hotel rooms.

Perhaps living there is your calling!
Old May 11, 2005, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by chobby100
Like I said previously, I will rot in hell and damnation for all eternity for my cardinal sins. I do sincerely apologise. I am sure everyone else is the picture of purity and saintliness.

Since I seem to be having difficulty lightening up in response to how some posters seem to have reacted to what I assumed was an inocuous topic by essentially branding me a thief despite all my pleas and explainations to the contrary (i.e. I knew before posting taking the bathrobe without paying would constitute theft, and I never did steal it), I will avail myself. It is too beautiful a day (finally) to get worked up over such things!

Last edited by SchmeckFlyer; May 11, 2005 at 8:42 am
Old May 11, 2005, 8:35 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
another poster was indeed correct that I had opened a can of worms or pandora's box. I had no idea this topic could insight so much heated debate. And all over a bathrobe!!!

Well actually, there doesn't seem to be much debate going on at all. Most posters are in agreement that taking a bathrobe is stealing.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is mildly insulting... but I will not take offence because I know I am not a shoplifter. I only asked because I assumed (wrongly I now know) that bathrobes were part of the list of items hotels regularly expect to lose to guests, such as towels, toilettries, magazines and such. Guess I should go buy myself a robe if I really want one...
Doppy wasn't insulting at all. If he hadn't have said it, others would have. The sheets are there for your use; why not contemplate stealing them? Why not consider swiping the lamp and CD alarm radio by the bed? And by the way, towels also are not to be taken. That too is theft.

Last edited by Analise; May 11, 2005 at 8:40 am
Old May 11, 2005, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by welded

But it is not theft to charge crazy high prices for tiny bottles of hard liquor
No, it's overpricing. Not the same thing as theft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.