Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by Analise
No, it's overpricing. Not the same thing as theft.

I believe the term is Highway Robbery
Old May 11, 2005, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
So I decided to steal/take/borrow one but my father would here nothing of it.
Good for your father!
Old May 11, 2005, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tazi
I believe the term is Highway Robbery
LOL Same as overpricing.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chobby100
OUTSTANDING! post.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:15 am
Suspended

Slight OT (or perhaps very OT), but this thread made me think of this.

You wouldn't believe the stuff that gets stolen out of model homes. Have you ever wondered why everything is bolted down? I've got a friend in the industry who says virtually everything in a model home has been stolen from them at some point. From the plastic fruit to the living room sofa.

A standard method of operation for the amateur theives is to set stuff outside an obscure door with the idea that they'll come back and get it later. As a result, the salemen do a "walk around" every night before they leave. He claims it is a rare week that goes by without finding something sitting outside the laundry room door.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
A motivational-type speaker at a conference I attended some years ago joked that the great hotel he was staying in had towels so big and fluffy that he could hardly fit them into his suitcase. The audience chuckled.

OTOH it must happen more than some of us would like to think. I couldn't proceed with checking us out of a 4* business hotel in PVG recently (The Grand You You) until Mrs. Fredd had left the room and the maids could take inventory.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Like I said previously, I will rot in hell and damnation for all eternity for my cardinal sins. I do sincerely apologise. I am sure everyone else is the picture of purity and saintliness.

Since I seem to be having difficulty lightening up in response to how some posters seem to have reacted to what I assumed was an inocuous topic by essentially branding me a thief despite all my pleas and explainations to the contrary (i.e. I knew before posting taking the bathrobe without paying would constitute theft, and I never did steal it), I will avail myself. It is too beautiful a day (finally) to get worked up over such things!

res ipsa loquitur
Old May 11, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Personally, I think it's the hotel's fault for putting it there in the first place without a pricetag on it. I mean how was I to know they didn't intend to give me the robe for free??

You know, RyanAir once sold tickets for 1 euro, so it's entirely possible that they meant it to be a free bathrobe, and they probably just meant for it to be advertising anyway, so they ought to be paying me for taking their towels!

All I know is that any hotel that tries to charge me for taking 50 or 100 bathrobes which they led me to believe were free is in for a lot of trouble.

I'd have the media on them so fast it would make their heads spin.

Last edited by robb; May 11, 2005 at 1:13 pm Reason: "FORTRAN" coding
Old May 11, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Ask...don't take...

Originally Posted by wintersummer
It would never enter my mind to take anything from a hotel...well, OK, I take the soap.
Besides soap and cosmetics for your immediate consumption, you must assume that everything else stays with the room. However, if you like something, inquire as to its cost. I have been charged minimal amounts for things like a well designed teapot etc. I have been given free some stuff with hotel logos like shoe bags, shoe horns, etc. Some hotels have a price list in the rooms placed discreetly.

And just because you don't like the mini bar prices, is no excuse. You are free to bring in your own goodies.
Old May 11, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Fredd
OTOH it must happen more than some of us would like to think. I couldn't proceed with checking us out of a 4* business hotel in PVG recently (The Grand You You) until Mrs. Fredd had left the room and the maids could take inventory.
LOL, I can empathise! I was stopped about 5 years ago when I checked out of the Holiday Inn in Chongqing. The receptionist swore blind that I had taken the scales out of the bathroom. Having stayed there on numerous occasions I knew that the scales only went up to 120Kg and I weighed more than that. I explained that the scales would have been of no use to me and that she was welcome to search my bags! After 15 minutes of pointless arguing I finally asked for the (Austrian) General Manager. He took no time in sending me on my way with a sincere apology......
Old May 11, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Having stayed there on numerous occasions I knew that the scales only went up to 120Kg and I weighed more than that.
Scales that topped out below my actual weight could bring out the larceny in me if I weren't so pure of heart.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:03 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Once I was charged for a glass-bottled coffee beans from 4Seasons, even though the coffee itself is free (from the note on top of the bottle). I used the beans on the first day, took the bottle when I left and was charged $40. I let it go because I did take it. It was steep though. Wish I'd known.
Old May 11, 2005, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Someone made a point earlier about items with the hotel name being meant for advertising and as such, being OK to take. What about hotel towels with the name of the property embossed on them? btw, most of the hotel robes also do have the property's name on them.

I am not returning my large fluffy Sol Melia towels!
Old May 11, 2005, 1:19 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by tazi
Someone made a point earlier about items with the hotel name being meant for advertising and as such, being OK to take. What about hotel towels with the name of the property embossed on them? btw, most of the hotel robes also do have the property's name on them.

I am not returning my large fluffy Sol Melia towels!
LOL! That's hilarious. I updated my parody above with this new one, as I hadn't even thought of this angle. Thanks.

For anyone who might REALLY think that :re:, I can't imagine anyone would be so tacky as to display their stolen hotel towels. Hotels print their logos on there both to reinforce the brand within the hotel and to discourage theft, not encourage it.
Old May 11, 2005, 1:20 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I still have my towels and shirts that say property of the El Paso County Prison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.