Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Stealing" plush hotel bathrobes

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 4:13 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by jfe
Let him who has never taken anything cast the first stone.
Well, all of us have taken things or made moral decisions that we thought were appropriate at the time, but hopefully we've grown up some since then and have a different perspective today.

What I think is interesting is to watch people respond to the scenario just to see what their reasoning says about their moral development.

According to Kohlberg, there are 6 stages of moral development:

1. Which decision will hurt me less (fear of punishment)?
2. Which decision will benefit me more?
3. Which decision will get me more approval from others?
4. Which decision will follow the law?
5. Which decision will bring the most benefit to society?
6. Which decision will adhere to universal prinicples of ethics?

We're all somewhere on this scale. Those who say it's ok because it's built into the price are focused on stage 2--get all your benefits. The OP who ultimately didn't take the robe might be at stage 3 and declined because of his father's disapproval or may be at stage 1 because he wants to know how likely punishment would have been.

As adults, we probably have an expectation of stage 5 or at least stage 4 reasoning and I think that's driving the stone casting.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
... to what I assumed was an inocuous topic by essentially branding me a thief despite all my pleas and explainations to the contrary (i.e. I knew before posting taking the bathrobe without paying would constitute theft, and I never did steal it), I will avail myself. It is too beautiful a day (finally) to get worked up over such things!
Why don't we just call you Schmeck Watson and call it a day?
Old May 11, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver
Thumbs down Give the OP a break!

Apparently none of you riding the high horse have seen the Holiday Inn's recent charity promotion: About the Towels, We Forgive You.

While I'm generally thought of by my peers as somewhat of an extremist when it comes to property rights (You don't support the illegal downloading of music off of P2P networks, what?!) I do have an issue with the vast number of people who are lambasting the poor OP, so I'd like to purpose a single guideline for the rest of the post:

If you have ever stolen anything from a hotel, and that includes the disposable items that you might have used during your stay, and not returned it, you can't make post a critical remark about the OP without detailing exactly what you stole and how many times in the post.

That being said, I never take anything from the hotel rooms I've stayed in, even the disposable) shampoo or soap, (I usually bring my own, and it's nicer than what pretty much any hotel has) except, on occasion, when I'm traveling abroad to some place fairly remote, I do like to take a copy of the hotel's stationary and corresponding envelope. However, in those instances, I always call the front desk to make sure that's ok.

As a follow up to what a lot of people are saying about bathrobes and such being available for purchase, there was actually an article in United's Hemisphere magazine about this not too long ago (I'm thinking February ish) it might've been AA though I don't remember. The article was a feature on a frequent flyer who had built an entire house based on all the hotels he had stayed at around the world. What he said was that you can find pretty much everything a hotel has in it is for sale, right down to the tile in the lobby, and that if the hotel can't provide you with the product on their own, they can at least direct you to the originally supplier. So keep that in mind the next time anyone finds themselves yearning for that "perfect" bathroom sink in the Mandarin Oriental or whatever.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPGIV
I do like to take a copy of the hotel's stationary and corresponding envelope. However, in those instances, I always call the front desk to make sure that's ok.

Old May 11, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Originally Posted by ScottC
I do like to take a copy of the hotel's stationary and corresponding envelope. However, in those instances, I always call the front desk to make sure that's ok.
I suppose Kohlberg forgot about Stage 7 - What would Ned Flanders do?
Old May 11, 2005, 4:36 pm

If you have ever stolen anything from a hotel, and that includes the disposable items that you might have used during your stay, and not returned it, you can't make post a critical remark about the OP without detailing exactly what you stole and how many times in the post.
You're supposed to return the shampoo after using it? What are you going on about?

If the OP wants to steal stuff that's his choice -- but please don't tell us taking things that are sold without paying for them isn't stealing. (Or that you're doing a favor by displaying towels with a hotel's logo in your home: "Gee, I was going to stay at the Four Seasons but I saw a Hilton towel at tazi's so I've decided to stay there instead.")
Old May 11, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
The Perfect Sink

Well.....sometimes they won't tell you the supplier! I tried for a long time to find out how to get the sink from Morgans in NYC and gave up. Of course I didn't steal it, but I found something similar and in the end better. The design was inspiring.

I have a friend who recently "reproduced" their Ritz Carleton vacation bed with various different retailers although they apparently would sell you all the components. They did it more cheaply. So much easier with the web.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by robb
That's the same reason I still write my name in my underwear long after mom stopped sending me to camp.

LOL! btw, your suggestiojn that hotels put their name on their towels to prevent stealing gets blown away when you consider that almost anything in the room is for sale these days.

I am going back to Sol Melia for more towels!
Old May 11, 2005, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by jabrams72
Given the issues Sol Melia has been causing, here Easy 1,000 AA miles and here Delta I think their towels are fare game. How many towels can you get for 1,000 miles (or vice versa)
Hey, got my letter today saying I'm getting my miles. So now, I have towels and miles

Does dinnerware count if has the hotel name on it???? Ahhh... Iberostar espresso cups

Last edited by tazi; May 11, 2005 at 5:59 pm
Old May 11, 2005, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by oyster
OK, in all seriousness where do you draw the line? And more importantly how can any one of us define where that line should be for someone else?

For one person taking a pen will be stealing, for others it would be something more valuable such as an ashtray.

For one person, cashing in on an obvious fare mistake would be unethical where for others it is a mileage earning opportunity. Yes, where do you draw the line???
Old May 11, 2005, 11:57 pm

FWIW, if my college-age son ever asks me if it is OK to stuff a fluffy hotel bathrobe into his suitcase before we checked out, I would be extremely disappointed in how I raised him.
Old May 12, 2005, 5:33 am

Talking

Originally Posted by robb
I suppose Kohlberg forgot about Stage 7 - What would Ned Flanders do?
LOL... that's one of the funniest responses I've seen on this board! ( or at least the funniest on this thread ). Keep 'em coming, Robb! ^
Old May 12, 2005, 8:43 am

You're joking, right?

Originally Posted by thesaints
Isn't charging $5 for a minibar item worth 50c a form of theft ?
What about when I replace the above item with an identical one bought at Walgreens instead ?
The crime is in the eye of the beholder.
Overpriced mini-bar items are not theft because both parties to the transaction agree to the exchange before it happens.

The second idea raises an interesting point. Arguably, it is stealing because you're using the convenience aspect of the item (it is in your room when you want it) without paying for it. OTOH, you've replaced an object you took with one that is indistinguishable, and the hotel is not out the opportunity cost of the item (assuming that you're the only occupant of the room). I guess this is analogous to copyright infringement...
Old May 12, 2005, 8:46 am

Consumables

Originally Posted by alanh
For me it breaks down to consumables vs. non-consumables. Stuff you might use up while there is okay, even if you're taking stuff that you don't actually use while staying there. I have a friend (originally from Russia) who takes this to extremes -- he puts soaps, etc., in his bag every day so the maid will replace them, and even takes the spare roll of toilet paper. (We're trying to break him of that.)

Stuff the hotel will reuse for anther guest -- towels, robes, matresses, TVs -- are off limits.
I take the toiletries every day also. I donate them to a homeless shelter our church runs. I echo your point about consumables.
Old May 12, 2005, 8:57 am

Advertising

Originally Posted by tazi
Someone made a point earlier about items with the hotel name being meant for advertising and as such, being OK to take. What about hotel towels with the name of the property embossed on them? btw, most of the hotel robes also do have the property's name on them.

I am not returning my large fluffy Sol Melia towels!
I agree that anything with the hotel name on it is meant to be taken and used as advertising. I usually take the hotel van with me when I leave.

I have a very nice collection of hotel vans in my garage at home. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.