Travel Depression

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Depression

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: AA and Marriot
First, make sure that you aren't just hung over or very tired. When I'm had a personal issue and I was dead tired, my emotions were enhanced. I would get angry or sad faster. Fortunately I was able to realize it was just because I was overworked and had the personal issue to deal with at the same time.

If you are not tired/overworked, then I would definitely recommend the bar where you know people are going to be able to speak English. I'm sure bartenders at major hotels in Tokyo know how to speak English. I decided to take a long trip to Europe a few years ago and I had had enough two days before my flight. I just wanted to go home. Anyway, I forced myself to go out those last two days and then went back to the hotel bar for drinks and then went to bed. I made it through.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
This is a fascinating thread. I'm consistently amazed at the thought that people put into their answers on FT.

I travel solo quite a bit, and I have to say, I don't think I ever really thought about getting depressed until I saw this thread. Now that I've read some of the posts here, I'm sure that I have gotten depressed while traveling somewhere. Certainly there were moments when I was in Japan by myself.

Despite the independent feeling and the thrill of seeing new places and interesting sights, it very often helps just to talk to someone. Thinking back on all of my trips, I always try to talk to someone on some excursion or other that I'm on. It definitely helps.

Japan is a great place to explore. Don't be afraid of getting lost. The people really are quite friendly and they'll try to help you if you get in trouble.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Marriot R
Originally Posted by WillTravel
How long are you in Japan for?
I will be here untill the 21st of August.

What really was the straw that broke the camels back was when I went to a local 7-11, a staple of America and thought that would cheer me up. It was a nice store, and I bought a bottle of water since I was walking a lot. When I went to cash out, the lady at the counter just kept talking....I imagine she was asking how I was doing or if I found everything okay, of maybe she was saying I have a big nose -- I don't know, but all I could do was stand confused, say arigato accomponied with a slight bow and continue of my way with my head hung down.

If I could find a calling card somewhere I could call home -- I wish I could, I imagine they sell them here? It is kind of sad, I keep thinking I feel my phone vibrate but obviously that's impossible, considering I don't even carry it as that would be a mute point.

Another things that gets to me is that everywhere I go people stare at me which I suppose I expected but I don't think I knew it would be this "bad" I mean, i'm use to looking at people in America when you walk down the street and giving them a friendly smile and a hello but when one try's to replicate this experiance out here, all you get in return is a blank stare as they walk by. I'm telling you, it's as they are looking into your soul.

To the people who say to order room service or carry an address card with me -- I am staying with a family out here -- Years, and years back I was suppose to study abroad but didn't due to the expense of the experiance but they invited me out so I came out. No one in the family speaks English except the mother who has BASIC and I mean BASIC english skills. It's funny when wideman says CNN doesn't do it for him -- it doesn't for me but in retrospect I find it funny how my ears pop up and I glue myself to the TV even when I hear one word of English -- oh how it comforts me so.

I guess I would say it's just the loneliness and the feeling of being the minority that is getting to me but let me thank you all now for your incredible words of encouragement and comfort. Truely, Thank you and hopefully I will get over it -- I'll let you know tonight (Japan Time) how i'm feeling and if it's passed.

By the way...

Athena53 - I believe that the stations are close together by what I can gather by the train map with numbers -- I think they show how long it takes to get to each stop.

EDIT:::: I wanted to add that I do exercise during the day and at night (walking/jogging only but starting today will branch out to situps and pushups) and they help me get my mind off things and help me become tired at night. One goal I have set for me is to get in shape before I leave Japan which is quite a goal considering i'm only going to be here for about another week and a half but hopefully I will see some results?

Last edited by tokyotraveler; Aug 10, 2004 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 10, 2004, 4:45 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Without question, a run will do it...a long slotary run, that gets you exausted. I remeber a series of Nike ads back around 1990 (they were full 2 page photos) where it would be a wids angle shot of either a barren landscape, a mountian, or a shot of a city. Each one had almost a runners mantra...something that made you feel even more lonely, but one with yourself, which made that feeling of isolation an asset, instead of a bad thing.

If I can find one of these ads, I'll post a link, but as they were 15 years ago, it'll be tough.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by fastair
Without question, a run will do it...a long slotary run, that gets you exausted. I remeber a series of Nike ads back around 1990 (they were full 2 page photos) where it would be a wids angle shot of either a barren landscape, a mountian, or a shot of a city. Each one had almost a runners mantra...something that made you feel even more lonely, but one with yourself, which made that feeling of isolation an asset, instead of a bad thing.
Agreed. A run is the perfect way to get rid of that depression and acclimate to the time difference. It's just too bad that I'm too warm blooded to go running when on business trips in the Northeast during the winter, but I never leave home without my pair of Asics.

aloha
Old Aug 11, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Smile

How are you doing today, tokyotraveller?

Hang in there, only 10 more days to go.

In the meantime, here's a big {{{HUG}}} for you from Atlanta!
Old Aug 11, 2004, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belle3388
How are you doing today, tokyotraveller?

Hang in there, only 10 more days to go.

In the meantime, here's a big {{{HUG}}} for you from Atlanta!
Thank you...I needed that altough I wish I was real. Well, yesturday the person I was staying with saw I was down and brought me to Kamakura to see temples and Great Buddha. It was incredible and what esspecially brightened my mood was meeting a lady from Paris, France. It was fun to talk to her in my limited knowledge of French but she also spoke English. Well, now I'm still back to being down -- don't know why, just am....BUT there is one glaring thing that is depressing me. I am a little out of shape and I told myself since I am going to be here for a period of time I will exercise to get in better shape for when I return. I know i'm not that bad but i've been exervising everyday and no progress at all has been seen. I mean, granted, i've only been exercising for about 4 days but still. I walk/jog many miles a day and do about 20 sit-ups, all in the afternoon and evening. I don't understand. I want to be in better shape and at least have a flat stomach when I get home so I can surprise everyone. The ambition is there, i'm just dishearted when I look in the mirror every morning to take a shower and I see no progress what-so-ever, i've got to be doing something wrong or missing some special tip. I know I only have 10 days left, that's not enough time to see results, is it?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:02 pm

[/QUOTE] I want to be in better shape and at least have a flat stomach when I get home so I can surprise everyone. The ambition is there, i'm just dishearted when I look in the mirror every morning to take a shower and I see no progress what-so-ever, i've got to be doing something wrong or missing some special tip. I know I only have 10 days left, that's not enough time to see results, is it? [/QUOTE]

No, it is NOT enough time to get rid of Buddha belly and be in good shape by the time you get home. Perhaps one reason you get depressed is you set unrealistic expectations? Keep exercising, but don't obsess over how you look when you get home.

Last edited by ermdjdsj; Aug 12, 2004 at 9:16 am
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermdjdsj
No, it is NOT enough time to get rid of Buddha belly and be in good shape by the time you get home. Perhaps one reason you get depressed is you set unrealistic expectations? Keep exercising, but don't obsess over how you look when you get home.
LOL, I don't have a Buddha belly, i'm just out of shape buddy I've always been taught to make your goals high that way you always have something to reach for. But, I just wish I could see SOME progress so I could see that all this effort i'm putting in is for something.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Your never alone with 40,000 FT'ers. Just post that you are looking for someone in Tokyo to crab a bite to eat and I bet someone is there.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I must echo everyone elses advice.

On my solo trip to Japan,, ( which I fought for 4 months I didnt want to go to Asia so much - silly me). I found the lack of English and street signs to be a "challange" - but not one that could not be overcome.

I talked to anyone on the street that it appeared could possilbly speak English. I learned to use the subways ( the people are incredibly helpful if you just point to where you need to go - they point back ).

As far as losing weight and getting back into shape - I would never choose a vacaction to do it on - especially with all that great Japanese sushi to explore

I am not a shrink ( nor do I play one of TV) - but there is a a term known as situational depression. Sounds like you have hit it- and there is a fairly simplistic way out - change the situation before you get too lethargic to do so. So go out there to places people speak English. Go buy a phone card( they probably sell them in that 7-11 you went into) or worse case call collect.

Do you use AIM or MSN messenger? Since you have computer access as you are posting here on FT - you could use that to communicate with the ones you are missing back home, for free. Maybe splurge $30 and buy a cheap webcam and you can see them too!!!

In the meantime keep us posted - and a big ((((HUG))))) from me too

Jan
Old Aug 11, 2004, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myefre
Your never alone with 40,000 FT'ers. Just post that you are looking for someone in Tokyo to crab a bite to eat and I bet someone is there.
In the process of trying to accomplish this -- hopefully it'll go through...

jan_az - Thank you for the words of help and encouragement. The exercise is actually what helped me overcome the jetlag so I do it now as a routine for fear of breaking this cycle/habit that I have formed. I'm sure you can understand me there. As far as a webcam -- Apple items are so expensive -- esspecially here in Japan. AIM -- that is definately not the same as the phone -- if the 7-11 has phone cards though, I will be sure to pick one up.

I must go back on the basis of this discussion and reitterate that I believe this feeling is from being isolated from everything else -- different, and alone and i'm sure everyone of you out there would agree with that statement 100% I talked of getting myself in shape because I want to focus this depression and negativeness into something that i've been wanting to do for the last couple of years and find myself in prime position to do so. That is also why I want to see results -- to see that all my hard work is paying off and that this alternative method of dealing with these feelings is working.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by tokyotraveler
In the process of trying to accomplish this -- hopefully it'll go through...

jan_az - Thank you for the words of help and encouragement. The exercise is actually what helped me overcome the jetlag so I do it now as a routine for fear of breaking this cycle/habit that I have formed. I'm sure you can understand me there. As far as a webcam -- Apple items are so expensive -- esspecially here in Japan. AIM -- that is definately not the same as the phone -- if the 7-11 has phone cards though, I will be sure to pick one up.

Oops - guess I was not clear - its not you who needs the webcam if you want to see people in the states - its whomever you are talking to in the states.

When I was right about your age ( well a few years younger) I went to Europe with my parents. I left a boyfriend at home. I wasted most of that trip running to American Express offices ( there was no email, IM, etc and phone calls were $10 a minute back then) to see if I had mail. I really saw nothing of Europe. Looking back on it - I kick myself. You have an opportunity now to go see and do things that most people your age dont - so as a now mother to one your age - I say - get out of that house and go see Japan. Everyone else has said it much more diplomatically but it truly is time for you go out and do things -whether you feel like it or not
Once you get involved in things outside yourself you will feel much better ^ ^
Old Aug 11, 2004, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Another thing that might cheer you

This may sound silly, but I took great delight in it...(of course, I am easy-to-please...)

At most of the "tourist attractions" or museums there are almost always groups of Japanese students in school uniforms...

If you give them the slightest opening, they will delight in trying to practice their English on you. They will make you feel special! We had numerous delightful encounters. Long after I forget the art at the museum I will remember "Hello. How are you. I am Kenta. I am nine." At which point he bowed and formally offered a handshake.

Also the group of middle school girls who, after they got up the courage to approach me and ask what my hair color was called (blonde)--high-fived and congratulated each other on their bravery in speaking to me!! (giggling the whole time, of course).

Granted, these are not the most intense human interactions, but they are great memories--and a small bit of human contact that you can relate to maybe.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 8:18 pm

A BIG hello from Canada. Hope you are keeping well and feeling better each day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.