Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Depression

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Marriot R
Just another update -- some alhcolhol last night seems to have cured this -- at least for now. I intend to hit the bars tonight and take in that experiance -- is it very expensive?
Old Aug 14, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Hi t t, you got PM.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belle3388
Hi t t, you got PM.
you've got one back
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Question

Just curious, do you get an email from FT everytime that you have PM or you have to come check this thread to find out?

Sent you one a minute ago.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Hello TT.

I know exactly of what you speak of as I have also suffered from travel depression. Even when I was in Australia and everyone spoke English, sort of, I was lonely and depressed. A quick phone call - sometimes 3 or 4 times a day helped me immensely. International rates are not that expensive anymore and definitely worth it.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tokyotraveler
What really was the straw that broke the camels back was when I went to a local 7-11, a staple of America and thought that would cheer me up. It was a nice store, and I bought a bottle of water since I was walking a lot. When I went to cash out, the lady at the counter just kept talking....I imagine she was asking how I was doing or if I found everything okay, of maybe she was saying I have a big nose -- I don't know, but all I could do was stand confused, say arigato accomponied with a slight bow and continue of my way with my head hung down.
Actually, I suspect she was reciting the company-dictated litany that she must do for every purchase: in excruciatingly polite keigo (formal Japanese), she will announce the price of your order, announce the bill you give her, announce the amount of change, then thank you for your patronage. She wasn't expecting any responses from you, right? And none are expected, the typical Japanese customer won't give her so much as a nod of the head.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 1:37 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
For me it's the almost the oposite. I usually get depressed if I haven't gone anywhere for a long time and almost feel pleasure when getting on a plane (at least as long as I can get an exit row ) .

What works for me if I am feeling sad in another part of the world is to either call a friend at home ("hey, guess where I am" kinda call) or just relax in a hotel room with a good book for a little while.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by tokyotraveler
Just another update -- some alhcolhol last night seems to have cured this -- at least for now. I intend to hit the bars tonight and take in that experiance -- is it very expensive?
Last time I went to Tokyo I spent well over US$100 in one night alone.. and I'm young and don't have a lot of money (but i sure can drink.. but that's a different story all together)

The first time I EVER went overseas, other than Mexico, was to Japan. I instantly fell in love. A brash 21y/o with a new passport and post 9/11 airfare sales got me to finally do something I always wanted to do and that's travel somewhere and i've been addicted ever since (been to ~15 countries since then in the past 3 years) and traveled to South America, various countries in Asia and Europe alone (although I've gone to some places with friends, but not frequently).

I seriously hadn't felt a rush before like I did leaving Shibuya station at night the first time I ever went there.

Japan's daunting though.. it's hard enough to get around but I loved just wandering around. Everything at train stations is signposted in English and
there are so many subway stations in Metro Tokyo it's really hard to be too far away from one.

A lot of people in Tokyo know (very) basic english so if you were to write something like "SUBWAY" or "POLICE" or something like that, they'd probably be able to direct you. Japanese are friendly like that and realize that most foreigners don't know any Japanese.

China is much, much worse.. Japan is a godsend compared to traveling around China. China's not 'foreign friendly' like Japan is.

I usually get (very) depressed after I come back though.. that's a different beast all together.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Just an update if you aren't keeping up with my other post -- Must Do's and Buy's in Tokyo -- I have left Japan early due to a horrible experiance, feeling, theft and anger seeded inside of me -- refer to the other thread.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
There was a chance that at over two years old, this worthwhile thread had slipped to the flyertalk background. I wanted to re-ignite it and share with you where I am at in the world.

Like most of you, my passport has plenty of stamps--Asia, Europe, NA, Africa. I have been lucky. But since I landed in Paris but 2 days ago, I have felt like my heart is in a vice. I miss my family and loved ones in the United States and even with a phone and email, I still feel at a loss. I have little more to say to them but, "I miss you so much". I am in Amsterdam now, but the prospect of spending three months or so here is still daunting. I very immaturely want to head back to the States, and run away from whatever is bothering me here. The gray skies and rain don't help.

I love travelling but hate travelling alone. I wonder vainly what quitting and returning home says about me as an individual, and other times, I can't be bothered to care about that. I am looking forward to the end before having really reached the begining.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:58 pm
tlc

Programs: AA Platinum
Amsterdam in winter is really awful (and I love Amsterdam). Even my friends who are Dutch acknowledge it. It is grey and the sky seems to only be a few feet over head making it claustrophobic. It's cold and wet and the sun never shines. And while I love them the Dutch are often not the most cheerful and outgoing of peoples . It's not unlikley you may have Seasonal Affective Disorder which is exaserbated by being away from friends and loved ones. If you can find it there, there are therapies of light which help many people. Hope it gets better for you.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE
Originally Posted by tlc
Amsterdam in winter is really awful (and I love Amsterdam). Even my friends who are Dutch acknowledge it. It is grey and the sky seems to only be a few feet over head making it claustrophobic. It's cold and wet and the sun never shines. And while I love them the Dutch are often not the most cheerful and outgoing of peoples . It's not unlikley you may have Seasonal Affective Disorder which is exaserbated by being away from friends and loved ones. If you can find it there, there are therapies of light which help many people. Hope it gets better for you.
I hear you about the Netherlands in the fall. I was teaching a seminar near Utrecht (town called De Bilt) a few weeks ago, and it was as bleak and grey as could be. I had half a day in my hotel room (and European hotels are often pretty basic compared to American ones) and felt as down and dull as could be (unusual for me, as I travel a lot and usually get depressed when I'm at home too long!). I put it down at the time to it being the last trip in a long year of trips and the fatigue, but I wonder now if the season and weather didn't play a role. And it's true that the Dutch are not the sunniest, most outgoing of people, although certainly pleasant and friendly when you talk to them.

I had the same experience when teaching a seminar in Moscow in December 2005. Now there's a bleak place in the winter. I couldn't get home soon enough!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Denolloyd, wrong thread. Search the Japan forum. Everything you need is there.

Now, back on topic -

I feel the opposite. I hate coming home and even get a little bit of anxiety the last few days of my trips, when I know I'm gonna have to pack things up soon and catch that flight back. (((shudder))) I'm single, but have a crappy home/family life that I try to escape every chance I get.

Good luck to all.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
I've left the US for 6 months at a time twice, and each time I felt the sense of isolation and depression you mention. The only way to overcome it is to acclimate by getting involved with the culture you are living in. Get lost. Get lost lots. Eventually, you'll know your way around

Ed: Wow. Old thread.

Yeah, I feel bad about traveling for business without my fiance to exotic places. Wish I could take her along. Plus, its never quite right seeing new places without her.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:42 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boxo
Denolloyd, wrong thread. Search the Japan forum. Everything you need is there.

Now, back on topic -

I feel the opposite. I hate coming home and even get a little bit of anxiety the last few days of my trips, when I know I'm gonna have to pack things up soon and catch that flight back. (((shudder))) I'm single, but have a crappy home/family life that I try to escape every chance I get.

Good luck to all.

I hear ya. The dreaded PHB* kick in whenever I get home from a holiday.

Sometimes I do get the same sort of feelings whilst away as the OP describes. Like others here have mentioned it is at this point I try to get on some organised tour or the like where I can engage with other people for a while.

* Post Holiday Blues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.