Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TravelManKen:
I leave $2-$3 per day depending on the size of the room and service level. If it's a suite I'll typically leave $5/day.</font>
I do the same. I also leave extra if I'm leaving a note with special requests.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
I think about 15% of threads should be about tipping. Some say 20% if the service is very good </font>
I have to tip my hat to you for making such a gratuitous remark, richard.

I will side with those who say 20%, since I find your moderation service of this forum to be at least very good, richard.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
Unfortunately the foreign leaders visiting the UN this week are not appreciative of the work the hotel maids do. The same applies to other hotel staff. Their cheapness made the front page of today's NYT for all to see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/24/nyregion/24HOTE.html
</font>
I stayed at the Millennium UN last Wednesday night for two job interviews Thursday -- big mistake. I had to keep convincing cops that yes I was a guest at the hotel, and no I didn't have my UN ID on me. 'Twasn't fun.

I chatted with a bellman for a few minutes about the UN meeting. They can't wait for them to be gone. I didn't realize at the time it was because of tipping; the hassle of the closed streets and security was what did it for me. I did tip him, though.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I normally tip the maid on the first sighting. I ask the maid if he/she, will be our maid for the duration of our trip. The tip on the way-in goes a long way ensuring a clean room, cleaned early, in the day and magically, more shower caps. In my experience, the maids have been quite candid about their days-off. Also, a tip on the way-in, avoids the knock on the door on the way-out.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting. I, too, had never heard of tipping the maid until I began reading FT.

What are we to make of robbs poll? Is tipping the maids becoming a new standard, or merely an indication of American confusion about service?

Personally, I believe that everyone should be paid a fair wage, and that tips are purely a gesture of appreciation.

I tip wait-staff very generously, good service or no, because I know their livelyhood depends upon it. I tip taxi drivers, I tip my barber.

I'm deeply conflicted about tipping the valet parkers when I'm charged $20 to $40 -per night- by the hotel.. But I'll usually hand them a couple of bucks.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 8:01 pm

Just putting up my hand as another who had never heard of tipping the maid before reading FT. As others have said, the maid makes a standard wage, as do most people. I think it is a stretch to assume that they work any harder than most of us have to in order to keep our jobs. Should I then start handing out my money to anyone who makes less money than I do? I know I'd love it if I was the recipient of cash from anyone making more than me, but I could hardly expect anything, especially if it is not written into a contract.

Like some others, I think tipping is a ghastly concept. Nevertheless I always tip appropriately those who do not make a standard wage. However that is as far as I will stretch my finances in order to pay someone elses way.

[This message has been edited by Mrukk (edited 09-28-2003).]
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by obscure2k:
The tip on the way-in goes a long way ensuring a clean room, cleaned early, in the day and magically, more shower caps. </font>
Do you collect shower caps or???

Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Fredd:
Do you collect shower caps or???

</font>

I collect 'em. I use them whenever I change the oil in my car
Old Sep 28, 2003, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:

I collect 'em. I use them whenever I change the oil in my car
</font>
No wonder you need a bunch... I can't imagine a single shower cap holding more than a couple of pints!

Old Sep 29, 2003, 2:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

If it's a large mess, yes.

If not, no.

A few bucks, depending on the size of the room and quality of hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 12:04 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Still running neck and neck after 89 responses. I wouldn't have thought it would be this close.

45% always tip
7% sometimes tip (large mess)
44% never tip
5% unsure
Old Sep 30, 2003, 1:33 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I tip on 99% of my stays and it usually is 1-2 US-dollars or equivalent depending on hotel category.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
Still running neck and neck after 89 responses. I wouldn't have thought it would be this close.

45% always tip
7% sometimes tip (large mess)
44% never tip
5% unsure
</font>
Put us down for "sometimes," usually for stays of several days and particularly if there has been some special service. Since our children are all grown up we no longer make large messes.

Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
I tip most of the time, usually the equivalent of $1-2USCan a day (up to $8-10 max.), left at the end of my stay. Although sometimes I check out and forget to leave the tip, only to remember when I'm on my way home. &lt;g&gt; On my last trip to Vancouver, I happened to have made a quick stop back to my hotel room around 3PM in the afternoon on the 5th day of a six day stay. The maid who made up my room the three previous days knocks on my door to let me know that she was off the next day, didn't take long for the light bulb to go off in my head as to why she was telling me this. &lt;g&gt;
Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:45 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MelP:

The maid who made up my room the three previous days knocks on my door to let me know that she was off the next day, didn't take long for the light bulb to go off in my head as to why she was telling me this. &lt;g&gt;</font>
That's what I call "trolling for tips". I expect the hotel staff to leave me alone. Bugging me (hotel, restaurant, anywhere) will not encourage me to give you MORE money. In fact, it will be the opposite.

After that comment you should have said, "That's nice. Have a pleasant day off."

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.