Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
There have been some many-page threads on this subject on TravelBuzz, but I'm too lazy to search for them right now.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
There have been some many-page threads on this subject on TravelBuzz, but I'm too lazy to search for them right now.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
Sorry, you're really cheap! The housekeeper works harder than anyone else in the place and should get tipped before anyone else.</font>
I tip robb to leave a tip for the maid...

Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
Sorry, you're really cheap! The housekeeper works harder than anyone else in the place and should get tipped before anyone else.</font>
I tip robb to leave a tip for the maid...

Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:23 am
Original Member

Tip her extra to make up for me.

QL
Old Sep 24, 2003, 1:23 am
Original Member

Tip her extra to make up for me.

QL
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:06 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
I work for a hotel and I believe that you should leave a tip if you leave the room in a condition that requires the maid extra effort otherwise I don't think it is necessary.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 3:06 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
I work for a hotel and I believe that you should leave a tip if you leave the room in a condition that requires the maid extra effort otherwise I don't think it is necessary.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wingless:
....I believe that you should leave a tip if you leave the room in a condition that requires the maid extra effort otherwise I don't think it is necessary. </font>
I agree. Otherwise, what's the point in paying for the same service twice?

For those who disagree, where do you draw the line, and why there? How many of you tip the hardworking rental car cleaners, airline baggage handlers, and harried FAs?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 5:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wingless:
....I believe that you should leave a tip if you leave the room in a condition that requires the maid extra effort otherwise I don't think it is necessary. </font>
I agree. Otherwise, what's the point in paying for the same service twice?

For those who disagree, where do you draw the line, and why there? How many of you tip the hardworking rental car cleaners, airline baggage handlers, and harried FAs?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We always tip on the day that the service has been done. There are different maids on different days so why tip at the end of the week when someone else may get the whole tip.

Those people work so hard and deserve it. We always leave a thank you note with our tip and many of the maids write back thanking us for it. Think of it as a human thing. Try to think what this tip may go for. They may buy food with their tips for the day or pay their utility bills, etc.

Those of us who travel are very fortunate so if we can help to make someone's day a little better with a generous tip, why not?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We always tip on the day that the service has been done. There are different maids on different days so why tip at the end of the week when someone else may get the whole tip.

Those people work so hard and deserve it. We always leave a thank you note with our tip and many of the maids write back thanking us for it. Think of it as a human thing. Try to think what this tip may go for. They may buy food with their tips for the day or pay their utility bills, etc.

Those of us who travel are very fortunate so if we can help to make someone's day a little better with a generous tip, why not?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:56 am

For those who tip out of some sort of social guilt, why not donate the money to charities instead? It seems much fairer, especially to those who work in low-paying jobs far from the public eye, and wouldn't affect only jobs dominated by one gender.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:56 am

For those who tip out of some sort of social guilt, why not donate the money to charities instead? It seems much fairer, especially to those who work in low-paying jobs far from the public eye, and wouldn't affect only jobs dominated by one gender.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Additionally, tipping relates to a class of workers in the US that earn less than the standard minimums. Waiters and bartenders.

Hotel housekeeping should be paid a standard wage. If not, the hotel management should be reported to the labor board.

One problem with widespread tipping of not-usually-tipped employees is that they might be re-classified as "tipped" employees and thus have their wages reduced to the sub-minimum levels.

If you make a large mess (large party, etc.) some type of gratuity is in order. But for normal usage, no tip is standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.