Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Additionally, tipping relates to a class of workers in the US that earn less than the standard minimums. Waiters and bartenders.

Hotel housekeeping should be paid a standard wage. If not, the hotel management should be reported to the labor board.

One problem with widespread tipping of not-usually-tipped employees is that they might be re-classified as "tipped" employees and thus have their wages reduced to the sub-minimum levels.

If you make a large mess (large party, etc.) some type of gratuity is in order. But for normal usage, no tip is standard.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:02 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
This is soooo not OMNI!

It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services. Rental Car cleaners are not commonly viewed as providing a personal service, as they simply maintain the cars between customers. Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.

Those of you who think that it is about their wage likely think nothing of tipping the doorman a dollar or two for hailing a taxi. That doorman often clears $70,000 per year in salary and tips. There's not a simple, logical explanation for why this is, it just is.

So, it's not guilt nor a financial equation that drives tipping, but societal norms. It is a cost of traveling, and if you disagree with it, take it up with society, not the housekeeper.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:02 pm

This is soooo not OMNI!

It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services. Rental Car cleaners are not commonly viewed as providing a personal service, as they simply maintain the cars between customers. Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.

Those of you who think that it is about their wage likely think nothing of tipping the doorman a dollar or two for hailing a taxi. That doorman often clears $70,000 per year in salary and tips. There's not a simple, logical explanation for why this is, it just is.

So, it's not guilt nor a financial equation that drives tipping, but societal norms. It is a cost of traveling, and if you disagree with it, take it up with society, not the housekeeper.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services....Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.

&lt;snip&gt;

</font>
Unfortunately the foreign leaders visiting the UN this week are not appreciative of the work the hotel maids do. The same applies to other hotel staff. Their cheapness made the front page of today's NYT for all to see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/24/nyregion/24HOTE.html
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services....Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.

&lt;snip&gt;

</font>
Unfortunately the foreign leaders visiting the UN this week are not appreciative of the work the hotel maids do. The same applies to other hotel staff. Their cheapness made the front page of today's NYT for all to see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/24/nyregion/24HOTE.html
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:13 pm

It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services. Rental Car cleaners are not commonly viewed as providing a personal service, as they simply maintain the cars between customers. Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.</font>
So by that logic do you not tip housekeeping on single night stays?

Those of you who think that it is about their wage likely think nothing of tipping the doorman a dollar or two for hailing a taxi. That doorman often clears $70,000 per year in salary and tips. </font>
That analogy doesn't work. The doorman is performing an entirely optional personal service, whereas housekeeping is an essential element of the product I'm purchasing, whether one night or many, unless specifically agreed to the contrary.

So, it's not guilt nor a financial equation that drives tipping, but societal norms. It is a cost of traveling, and if you disagree with it, take it up with society, not the housekeeper. </font>
It may be a norm in certain parts of society, but it is far from universal. Its controversial nature belies that.

Without a rationale such as sub-minimum wages or performing optional services, I see no obligation to tip in normal circumstances.

Unless you just feel like it, as I've been known to do.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:13 pm

It is customary in the United States to tip providers of personal services. Rental Car cleaners are not commonly viewed as providing a personal service, as they simply maintain the cars between customers. Hotel housekeepers, though, come in each day (except our last) simply to make the room nice for us, personally.</font>
So by that logic do you not tip housekeeping on single night stays?

Those of you who think that it is about their wage likely think nothing of tipping the doorman a dollar or two for hailing a taxi. That doorman often clears $70,000 per year in salary and tips. </font>
That analogy doesn't work. The doorman is performing an entirely optional personal service, whereas housekeeping is an essential element of the product I'm purchasing, whether one night or many, unless specifically agreed to the contrary.

So, it's not guilt nor a financial equation that drives tipping, but societal norms. It is a cost of traveling, and if you disagree with it, take it up with society, not the housekeeper. </font>
It may be a norm in certain parts of society, but it is far from universal. Its controversial nature belies that.

Without a rationale such as sub-minimum wages or performing optional services, I see no obligation to tip in normal circumstances.

Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:21 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Wow, one of my favourite subjects

It is NOT expected to tip. It may be the norm in the US but that does not make it the norm in the rest of the world.

I will leave a tip for every drink I buy in a US bar but wouldn't ever do it in the UK and don't fel guilty. If I tried it in my local the barman would just think I am trying to get into his pants

I do tip for service in resteraunts if the food service is good but I don't think I have to leave a set % I find a rational amount is fine. I am a firm believer in that if the service is 1st class on a $100 meal then why should that not be rewarded with average service on a $300 meal.

Looking foward to more on this thread
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:21 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Wow, one of my favourite subjects

It is NOT expected to tip. It may be the norm in the US but that does not make it the norm in the rest of the world.

I will leave a tip for every drink I buy in a US bar but wouldn't ever do it in the UK and don't fel guilty. If I tried it in my local the barman would just think I am trying to get into his pants

I do tip for service in resteraunts if the food service is good but I don't think I have to leave a set % I find a rational amount is fine. I am a firm believer in that if the service is 1st class on a $100 meal then why should that not be rewarded with average service on a $300 meal.

Looking foward to more on this thread
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
So by that logic do you not tip housekeeping on single night stays?</font>
I usually do tip on single night stays, out of a sense of consistency.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">That analogy doesn't work. The doorman is performing an entirely optional personal service, whereas housekeeping is an essential element of the product I'm purchasing, whether one night or many, unless specifically agreed to the contrary.</font>
First of all, being able to access transit is a required service. Secondly, housekeeping each day is not something I have at home, so why is it essential that someone else make my bed, clean my shower, and pick up after me. There's nothing essential about it. I don't know why they don't have cheaper hotels where the housekeepers only come between guests. Actually, maybe they do?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It may be a norm in certain parts of society, but it is far from universal. Its controversial nature belies that.

</font>
Sorry, I think that class requires that you behave as expected even if it doesn't make sense. Why are forks on the left, when you hold them with your right hand? They just are.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
So by that logic do you not tip housekeeping on single night stays?</font>
I usually do tip on single night stays, out of a sense of consistency.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">That analogy doesn't work. The doorman is performing an entirely optional personal service, whereas housekeeping is an essential element of the product I'm purchasing, whether one night or many, unless specifically agreed to the contrary.</font>
First of all, being able to access transit is a required service. Secondly, housekeeping each day is not something I have at home, so why is it essential that someone else make my bed, clean my shower, and pick up after me. There's nothing essential about it. I don't know why they don't have cheaper hotels where the housekeepers only come between guests. Actually, maybe they do?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It may be a norm in certain parts of society, but it is far from universal. Its controversial nature belies that.

</font>
Sorry, I think that class requires that you behave as expected even if it doesn't make sense. Why are forks on the left, when you hold them with your right hand? They just are.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
It is NOT expected to tip. It may be the norm in the US but that does not make it the norm in the rest of the world.</font>
You're right, it is inappropriate to tip where it is not the norm. I actually don't know the custom in those places, but it's all about learning and adhering to local custom.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
It is NOT expected to tip. It may be the norm in the US but that does not make it the norm in the rest of the world.</font>
You're right, it is inappropriate to tip where it is not the norm. I actually don't know the custom in those places, but it's all about learning and adhering to local custom.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:45 pm

I usually do tip on single night stays, out of a sense of consistency. </font>
Isn't it inconsistent not to reward the rental car cleaner for essentially the same service?

First of all, being able to access transit is a required service.</font>
I disagree.

There's nothing essential about it. </font>
You'd accept an uncleaned room on check-in? I wouldn't.

Sorry, I think that class requires that you behave as expected even if it doesn't make sense. </font>
No, I think that's the Army.

Are you really so conventional, Robb, always doing as others expect you to?

[This message has been edited by taucher (edited 09-24-2003).]
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:45 pm

I usually do tip on single night stays, out of a sense of consistency. </font>
Isn't it inconsistent not to reward the rental car cleaner for essentially the same service?

First of all, being able to access transit is a required service.</font>
I disagree.

There's nothing essential about it. </font>
You'd accept an uncleaned room on check-in? I wouldn't.

Sorry, I think that class requires that you behave as expected even if it doesn't make sense. </font>
No, I think that's the Army.

Are you really so conventional, Robb, always doing as others expect you to?

[This message has been edited by taucher (edited 09-24-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.