Reload this Page >

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:22 am

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
Do I tip the maid?

Always. Each day. $4.00. In the form of two $1.00 bills, and a $2.00 bill. (Yes, that means that I have to remember to stock up on the 2's before traveling.) And always with a hand-written "Thank You!!" on some kind of paper...usually a page from the scratch pad left by the phone.

Result: Excellent service. Never a problem with pilfering. I don't collect extra toiletries, but I do like to take the cheap stick pens. I haven't had to buy one in *years*.

And, since the $1-$1-$2 bill pattern is unusual, the maids often remember me the *next* time I check into the same hotel.

I can't think of an easier way to promote human dignity of a working-class person while getting great benefits for myself.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by negs
...the maids often remember me the *next* time I check into the same hotel...

No doubt there's a benefit by tipping nicely anyplace where you'll become 'a regular': a hotel, a bar or restaurant, barber, etc.

Jeff
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by negs
Result: Excellent service. Never a problem with pilfering. I don't collect extra toiletries, but I do like to take the cheap stick pens. I haven't had to buy one in *years*.
I've never had a problem with pilfering, or service quality, and I always take certain toiletries and sometimes take pens. I have never left a tip for a housekeeper in my life. I fail to see how your "prevention" method results in "great benefits" any better than my method of doing absolutely nothing.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Way to take out your frustrations on someone who has absolutely no control over those things. You sound fun.
You have to demoralize those on the foundation of an organization to destabilize those at the top.

I will not tip for a service I don't use, and I will not tip for a place that annoyed me...stop leaving messages and slipping me notes, take care of the mold in the bathroom and the running toilet, and I will consider tipping..otherwise, nothing. Well, perhaps the pennies I have in my pocket.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:57 pm
Original Member

Tipping the hotel maids is not expected, although it's appreciated.

QL
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I tip for unusual service. I usually keep a canned Diet Coke in the ice bucket in hotels that do not have a fridge. In one hotel, every day the ice bucket would have fresh ice when I got in in the afternoon. This was very thoughtful and got a good tip, $20 for the three night stay with a note "Thanks for the ice."

On the other hand, I have to elevate my feet in the evening. This may necessitate moving furniture around to make a footstool of a side chair or low table. If these get moved back every night so that I have to reset the room when I get in, it is not appreciated. May be SOP, it is still bothersome. If they leave them alone, they get a tip.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't tip housekeeping either
Have you ever worked in the service industry or in a customer service facing position?

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
I don't tip when travelining on biz and I don't approve expense reports from my direct reports for maid tips either.

Too many times are in late at night/out the next day. I expect the room to be clean -- and that's the job of the maid, for which the hotel is paying them.

If I'm on vacation and making a huge mess of the room ... I tip if staying mulitple days.
My military and civilian bosses had no problem with approving a daily housekeeping tip. There were many instances where the welcome gift or more appeared daily.

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
I always tip my maid. They work hard for their dollars. They are generally quite grateful and will leave me a note of thanks or will thank me when they see me in the hallway.
+1

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I think it's more important to tip when on a business trip. If you're just one person there, they probably won't know what company you're with (depending on the trash you leave behind). But if it's part of a conference, they'll know and that will reflect poorly on your employer.

I've never been challeneged on tips I've left for restaurants/cabbies/housekeeping. My employer encourages us to do this (as long as it's reasonable).
+1 ^
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by pinworm
You have to demoralize those on the foundation of an organization to destabilize those at the top.
wow. i guess that explains why sam walton went out of business and the US toppled saddam hussein in the mid-90s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.