FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:14 pm
Italy98

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't tip housekeeping either
Have you ever worked in the service industry or in a customer service facing position?

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
I don't tip when travelining on biz and I don't approve expense reports from my direct reports for maid tips either.

Too many times are in late at night/out the next day. I expect the room to be clean -- and that's the job of the maid, for which the hotel is paying them.

If I'm on vacation and making a huge mess of the room ... I tip if staying mulitple days.
My military and civilian bosses had no problem with approving a daily housekeeping tip. There were many instances where the welcome gift or more appeared daily.

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
I always tip my maid. They work hard for their dollars. They are generally quite grateful and will leave me a note of thanks or will thank me when they see me in the hallway.
+1

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I think it's more important to tip when on a business trip. If you're just one person there, they probably won't know what company you're with (depending on the trash you leave behind). But if it's part of a conference, they'll know and that will reflect poorly on your employer.

I've never been challeneged on tips I've left for restaurants/cabbies/housekeeping. My employer encourages us to do this (as long as it's reasonable).
+1 ^