Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Repooc17
On a recent flight with an European airline, an US passenger at a window seat was not happy about open shades requirement during takeoff and landing, mind you she already had eye and face masks covering her entire face. She went on an expletives filled rant about how she needed to sleep after a redeye. She got into it with her seatmates and one of the flight attendants, but quickly retreated after FA and fellow pax educated her. Love the no nonsense from our European friends.
I was under the impression having the shades open during takeoff and landing was a legal requirement.
TGarza likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Heyden
I was under the impression having the shades open during takeoff and landing was a legal requirement.
Not enforced at all for US airlines.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:40 pm

Last week, window seat in Y, approaching SCL, AFTER night fall. I had the shade open, looking at the lights below. I got up to place something in my carryon. My seatmate not only closed the shade, he slammed it closed. If I could speak Spanish, I would have asked him why (nicely).
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
Last week, window seat in Y, approaching SCL, AFTER night fall. I had the shade open, looking at the lights below. I got up to place something in my carryon. My seatmate not only closed the shade, he slammed it closed. If I could speak Spanish, I would have asked him why (nicely).
Did you raise the shade back up after you sat down?

Last edited by Heyden; Mar 24, 2024 at 3:23 pm
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I finally realized I do have an issue with keeping the shades down at landing - I was so glad my seatmate finally opened them at the last second yesterday on a daytime turbulent US flight. The feeling of not knowing when touchdown is going to occur is quite nerve-wracking even though I'm not generally a nervous flyer.
SPN Lifer and Heyden like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Not enforced at all for US airlines.
A quick google search suggests there is no legal requirement in the US of any kind regarding window shades. In terms of international jurisdictions, it seems that the IATA may "recommend" shades are up during takeoff or landing, but actual policy and enforcement seems to be up to individual jurisdictions, airports, airlines, etc.
Heyden likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I finally realized I do have an issue with keeping the shades down at landing - I was so glad my seatmate finally opened them at the last second yesterday on a daytime turbulent US flight. The feeling of not knowing when touchdown is going to occur is quite nerve-wracking even though I'm not generally a nervous flyer.
I agree. Shades up for landing. I enjoy looking for landmarks as the plane is coming in and knowing when it's about to touch down.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
IMO, nighttime landings are the best time for having a window shade open, as you can see landmarks, there is no glare, etc. IMO, it shouldn't be controversial. However plenty of people still apparently prefer shades down in these scenarios. I fly into LGA a lot and always enjoy the landing views. It seems like about half of the cabin still keeps shades down on approach here. I guess this begs the question - if you are in an aisle (or middle) seat, would you request your window seat mate to raise the window shade in these situations?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I believe that, as this is both an IATA recommendation and part of the official script for many airlines, it’s coming close to something which becomes a legal requirement. In other words, keeping them closed when officially instructed to open them by an FA who is following formal airline instructions would be very unwise.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I guess this begs the question - if you are in an aisle (or middle) seat, would you request your window seat mate to raise the window shade in these situations?
Probably not. I can live with the shade up or down. Conversely, were I in the window seat I would politely decline a request to lower the shade from a passenger in the middle or aisle seat once the plane starts to descend.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
In China, for some dual-use airports shades down is mandatory from gate departure to takeoff+15 min, and conversely from landing-15 to brakes on.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:29 am

Did you raise the shade back up after you sat down?
I did and he didn't react at all.
SPN Lifer and Heyden like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by Adelphos
IMO, nighttime landings are the best time for having a window shade open, as you can see landmarks, there is no glare, etc. IMO, it shouldn't be controversial. However plenty of people still apparently prefer shades down in these scenarios. I fly into LGA a lot and always enjoy the landing views. It seems like about half of the cabin still keeps shades down on approach here. I guess this begs the question - if you are in an aisle (or middle) seat, would you request your window seat mate to raise the window shade in these situations?
I might.

Thankfully my last nighttime flight into LGA was in an A seat on an Embraer 175 so I was able to control my window shade and enjoy an absolutely incredible view of Manhattan while on approach to runway 4.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Probably not. I can live with the shade up or down. Conversely, were I in the window seat I would politely decline a request to lower the shade from a passenger in the middle or aisle seat once the plane starts to descend.
I think it is extremely reasonable to expect that and in a lot of Asian and middle eastern airlines they ask you to raise the shades when they start descending.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.