Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
I'd say it's very much crew dependent, and on average DL crews > UA/AA — on my most recent westbound TATL (FRA-JFK, admittedly in J) had no issue with the shades up the whole time, and in fact the (very good) FA came around to everyone who was awake/had their shades up to point out the icebergs on Greenland as we were flying by.

Also I'd ignore the naysayers on here — it doesn't make sense from a jet lag perspective to keep the shades down for the entirety of a flight that departs in the late morning and lands in the afternoon (as most westbound TATLs do)
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and etiene like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, DL SM
Originally Posted by GoBob
Team window shade up here. Sitting in a sealed, dark tube - particularly on an LHR-SFO much less a shorter hop, is maddening to me. You're not 30,000 feet in the air very often. Enjoy the views, IFE be damned. We have enough screens. Planes are some of the few places where we can still have a fighting chance to unplug for a few hours and, egads, be alone with our thoughts while daydreaming across a clear blue sky.
I'm glad someone brought this issue up as I was recently having to navigate this on other airlines. For me, the amazing views when weather conditions allow are probably the one thing that never gets old when flying, each time I'm just as amazed to see Greenland but even parts of Canada and Montana, Wyoming or other beautiful places like the Grand Canyon, the Alps or the Bahamas. It's a privilege to be up there viewing the Earth. I understand fellow passengers might be disturbed if there is direct sunlight going through the window into their face and I try to keep the shade down as much as possible during those times, but I'm not convinced that etiquette requires a complete shutdown throughout a 10h+ flight just so that others have a slightly higher-contrast viewing experience. The only time I've been overruled by an FA was for the opposite reason when SU wanted all shades up during landing despite direct sunlight. Not flying SU anymore solved that problem!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Thanks all, I'll be down the back with the sun on the opposite side, likely keep the shade half open much of the time! Good to know we should be ok given that!

Appreciated!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It's not private, there's no control granted to window passengers, either way. If FA demand it closed they are within rights, if they demand it open they are within rights.
FabCW likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
When flying I look at the IFE route map and start checking what I might see along the way. When passing by, the shade is up. The rest of the time I usually have the shade most of the way down but not fully so to get some light for reading or working.

Two of the best things seen: the South Face of Denali, which I have been on and the island of Iwo Jima, such important WWII history.

Originally Posted by gabriel2
The only time I've been overruled by an FA was for the opposite reason when SU wanted all shades up during landing despite direct sunlight.
That is usually the norm - one wants to see what is outside in case of an emergency.
SPN Lifer and skipness1E like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
The right thing to do is the nice thing. If you're looking out the window, I have no problem with someone having their shade open. If you're not, be nice and put it down so others can sleep or watch tv. In the case of the former, they could have brought an eye mask if they wanted darkness the whole flight but they shouldn't have that expectation. Basically it comes down to WWBW.

Disclosure: I'm an aisle seat flyer.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's not private, there's no control granted to window passengers, either way. If FA demand it closed they are within rights, if they demand it open they are within rights.
That's like saying a police officer is within their rights to enforce "Ferrari parking only" novelty signs. Sure, the FAs could try to pull the "interfering with a flight crew is a federal offense" clause, but they'd be laughed at by law enforcement and any US judge (if it ever got that far) for trying to enforce laws/regulations that don't exist. They'd also likely face repercussions with their employer and possibly in a lawsuit. That's why there's never been a "window shade" flight crew interference case to my knowledge.
SPN Lifer, indufan, arf04 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
The right thing to do is the nice thing. If you're looking out the window, I have no problem with someone having their shade open. If you're not, be nice and put it down so others can sleep or watch tv. In the case of the former, they could have brought an eye mask if they wanted darkness the whole flight but they shouldn't have that expectation. Basically it comes down to WWBW.

Disclosure: I'm an aisle seat flyer.

That's like saying a police officer is within their rights to enforce "Ferrari parking only" novelty signs. Sure, the FAs could try to pull the "interfering with a flight crew is a federal offense" clause, but they'd be laughed at by law enforcement and any US judge (if it ever got that far) for trying to enforce laws/regulations that don't exist. They'd also likely face repercussions with their employer and possibly in a lawsuit. That's why there's never been a "window shade" flight crew interference case to my knowledge.
No its more likely that oassenger isn't dumb enough to interfere with a crew member.

Also a FA is not a LEO. Comparing to restrictions on a LEO is completely different. The plane is private property, the FA an employee of owner has legal right to tell you what can/can't do with it.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
As an aisle seat passenger, I've always held to the norm that the window seat passenger has full control over the window/shade (just as the middle-seat passenger gets both middle armrests). So, if it were me in the aisle with OP: I'd say to enjoy the view, if that's what you want to do.
resolute, wrp96, strickerj and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Shoot. I had to reset my “It’s been 172 days since we had a window shade thread” sign.

At least my seat recline counter is in 3 digits… otherwise I’d be sad since the kids in f counter isn’t up to 2 digits yet.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
Question "authority"!! The FA's have NO LEGITIMATE reason whatsoever to request this midflight... IF you want the shade open, keep it open - they will back down after they try and intimidate you... They have no leg to stand on with this issue...
indufan, arf04, IggySD and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver, DL SM
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
That is usually the norm - one wants to see what is outside in case of an emergency.
That's what I thought too, initially, but the reality is every airline has a different policy. On most of my recent AA flights, most shades were down until landing and the crew had absolutely no problem with it. On DL, most shades are up for landing, but I don't remember ever witnessing a pax being told off for keeping it closed. At most the FAs ask pax to pull it up and usually get compliance.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Many non-US airlines require open shades during takeoff and landing for all rows. No exceptions, even if the sun is beaming.

There are no enforcement policies for US FAs on the subject of shades. They can ask pax nicely, but pax can also decline politely. Courtesy is the name of the game; beyond that, window pax has the control.

If you want the shades closed for the entire flight, buy/select a window seat.
indufan, findark, hiker67 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW
People want to watch entertainment on their screen. Shades up diminish the quality of that experience for everyone in your vicinity. Be considerate and close your shades when flight attendants darken the cabin. Don’t be that one entitled passenger who ruins the flight for everyone else because they have to “stand their ground.” 🙄
Stand your ground. If you "paid" for the window seat it's yours.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:41 pm

They want it closed so they can take a break! What rights do they have? Suits them if the cabin is asleep.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
This isn’t just a westbound flight issue. I had this a few years ago on AA142, the daytime eastbound JFK-LHR flight.

AA142 JFK-LHR day flight shutters closed

I do wonder though, is this a particular problem with US carriers? My sense is that (and flak jacket at the ready, waiting to be pillioried) flight attendants on US carriers who work
transatlantic routes tend to be quite senior and eager not to work as hard as their younger colleagues might be, which might explain why the idea of a darkened cabin to encourage passengers to sleep is so appealing.
Repooc17 and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.