FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:07 pm
HDQDD

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
The right thing to do is the nice thing. If you're looking out the window, I have no problem with someone having their shade open. If you're not, be nice and put it down so others can sleep or watch tv. In the case of the former, they could have brought an eye mask if they wanted darkness the whole flight but they shouldn't have that expectation. Basically it comes down to WWBW.

Disclosure: I'm an aisle seat flyer.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's not private, there's no control granted to window passengers, either way. If FA demand it closed they are within rights, if they demand it open they are within rights.
That's like saying a police officer is within their rights to enforce "Ferrari parking only" novelty signs. Sure, the FAs could try to pull the "interfering with a flight crew is a federal offense" clause, but they'd be laughed at by law enforcement and any US judge (if it ever got that far) for trying to enforce laws/regulations that don't exist. They'd also likely face repercussions with their employer and possibly in a lawsuit. That's why there's never been a "window shade" flight crew interference case to my knowledge.