Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I’m sitting on a JFK to LAX flight right now, departed at 10:30. I’m in business class with my shades up as I am doing some work (small Flyertalk break). Every other single business class window shade is down. From what I can tell in coach, almost every single shade is down there as well. I have noticed this on other recent flights too - basically on midday flights (10-3 PM), windowshades are down for the duration more often than not, no matter what length of flight. My personal preference actually varies here (I usually put my shade down on very early AM flights, leave them up on day flights, leave them up on night flights), but it sure seems like the default is now shades down. Thoughts?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
too many people nose-down in screens and therefore not wanting any glare … too few people willing or able to disengage from screens to take even an occasional glance at the outside world from 7 miles up, which on a clear day is often spectacular

I’ll occasionally work on a laptop, and generally keep the flight tracker display up on the IFE, but I sit by the window for the sole reason that the outside views are the biggest element of my relaxation zone
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ah, this old chestnut. You’ll find very polarizing views here, from ‘window seat controls the shade’ and ‘I always need to look out’ to ‘airplanes are flying movie theaters’ and ‘I always need to sleep’.

Personally I generally have the shade open.
DoriG, catcher1, strickerj and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too have noticed this in the two or three times I've flown in the last couple years. I am firmly in the camp of "I like daylight and to look out".
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:31 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
No standard, do what you want unless guided by a FA or clenched fists
Iam Jetlagged likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'm usually an aisle person because I want the freedom to get up and use the lav when I need to go without bothering anyone. But if I do find myself in a window seat, either because I'm in a solo-seat set-up or just happen to select a window (especially for shorter flights or where I can get a window seat where I can get up easily, such as the row right by 2L on the 757), the window shade is usually up so I can enjoy the view, even if I'm also watching a movie (sometimes I'll lower the shade part way to reduce glare but to where I can still see out). I recently took the AA 777-300 in Flagship First from MIA to LAX on a daytime flight and I was the only one with the window shade up in F. I did use the swivel function on the seat and faced out the window while playing on my laptop on the desk for a bit. FA did come by at one point and asked me if I was looking out the window. When I said yes, she didn't push me to close the shade for the others in the cabin.

But yes, I also find more and more most window shades are closed as most passengers are watching the IFE or working on their laptops or trying to sleep. But I like seeing the world from 35,000 feet. I also recently flew between LAS and ATL on a DL 767-400 and was able to snag a window seat in the F/D1 cabin. We had some spectacular views of the Grand Canyon as we climbed out of Vegas and headed east towards ATL. Flying over the Rockies or along the Pacific Coast, especially between the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, the scenery is just incredible.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I'm usually an aisle person because I want the freedom to get up and use the lav when I need to go without bothering anyone. But if I do find myself in a window seat, either because I'm in a solo-seat set-up or just happen to select a window (especially for shorter flights or where I can get a window seat where I can get up easily, such as the row right by 2L on the 757), the window shade is usually up so I can enjoy the view, even if I'm also watching a movie (sometimes I'll lower the shade part way to reduce glare but to where I can still see out). I recently took the AA 777-300 in Flagship First from MIA to LAX on a daytime flight and I was the only one with the window shade up in F. I did use the swivel function on the seat and faced out the window while playing on my laptop on the desk for a bit. FA did come by at one point and asked me if I was looking out the window. When I said yes, she didn't push me to close the shade for the others in the cabin.

But yes, I also find more and more most window shades are closed as most passengers are watching the IFE or working on their laptops or trying to sleep. But I like seeing the world from 35,000 feet. I also recently flew between LAS and ATL on a DL 767-400 and was able to snag a window seat in the F/D1 cabin. We had some spectacular views of the Grand Canyon as we climbed out of Vegas and headed east towards ATL. Flying over the Rockies or along the Pacific Coast, especially between the Pacific Northwest and Alaska, the scenery is just incredible.
Aisle seat is the greatest. From bathroom freedom to no elbows thrown, love it.

I mean, who doesn't enjoy a nice view from outside either? Whether it's the grand canyon, like you stated. Or that sunny, tropical, island you just arrived to. There can be many, enjoyable, views. A lot of it is clouds though.
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
clouds, sunrises, sunsets, aurorae, contrails, other jets ... lots of interesting sights

lots of Alaska and Delta FTers -- myself included in both categories -- have shared some of their highlights
strickerj and BlueJayFlyer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jrl767
clouds, sunrises, sunsets, aurorae, contrails, other jets ... lots of interesting sights

lots of Alaska and Delta FTers -- myself included in both categories -- have shared some of their highlights
Plus a thread or two (A view from the sky, Why I love flying, in an image...) over in Travel Photography.

David
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:34 pm

In theory I prefer the shade up during the day. However in practice I find I often end up closing the shade because there's inevitably some phase of the flight when the sun is shining directly in my eyes. Then it's awfully hard to open it again once my eyes have adjusted to the darkness.
bryanb likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I've noticed the same thing. I grew up in the 80s and took a lot of domestic US flights. It was very rare to see window shades down on any flight. Now it seems like most people lower the shades on most flights. I actually find it quite annoying when I'm in an aisle seat and the window passenger closes the shade for the entire flight. If I have the window seat, then the shade stays open (unless it's a long haul, trans oceanic flight where the etiquette is to close the shade after the meal).
BlueJayFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Usually a shade-up guy, if I can control it, until there's direct sunlight or I'm made aware that it's bothering more than a few people. The entire forward J cabin was about to defenestrate this one jerk who refused even though the sun was blasting through on a 11-hr TLV/EWR UA daytime flight and hey jerk some of us would like to sleep, but nope. FAs even asked a few times but couldn't force the issue.
Iam Jetlagged likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Usually a shade-up guy, if I can control it, until there's direct sunlight or I'm made aware that it's bothering more than a few people. The entire forward J cabin was about to defenestrate this one jerk who refused even though the sun was blasting through on a 11-hr TLV/EWR UA daytime flight and hey jerk some of us would like to sleep, but nope. FAs even asked a few times but couldn't force the issue.
The sun? Blasting through during daylight hours? What nerve.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Eye shades if you really can't sleep in the light. A bright cabin on daytime flight is the norm IME.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I too have noticed this in the two or three times I've flown in the last couple years. I am firmly in the camp of "I like daylight and to look out".
Same here. If it's 2 PM outside it's going to be 2 PM inside. The window shade (as well as call button) are both my friends.
Tanic, strickerj and BlueJayFlyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.