Masterful Hotel Fraud...Any Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

I booked a day use reservation at an IHG-flagged property in California through Dayuse.com. When I arrived, the manager, who also seemed like the owner, refused to provide a room key on the grounds that the room was needed for overnight guests (indeed, the overnight room rate had jumped to multiples of the day use rate). Yet I had a confirmed reservation, and needed the room. I called Dayuse, who contacted the manager and spoke to him at length, but nothing doing. I then called Dayuse and they issued me a 15%-off code for a future stay, agreeing that the hotels's position violated their T&C. I checked into another hotel.

Imagine my surprise when I was billed for the room I wasn't allowed to occupy. I disputed the charge with Chase. They initiated a full investigation, which took several months. Unfortunately, the dispute has been resolved with Chase agreeing with the hotel that I did check in. As evidence, they sent me a record of the reservation with my signature. All I can think of is that the desk assistant had me sign that form before the manager refused me a room. In my surprise, I probably forgot I'd signed such a form moments before.

This evidence would seem to prevent me from taking the matter to Small Claims Court, which I'd otherwise intended to do. I happen to live in the same court jurisdiction as the hotel, so it wouldn't have been that inconvenient.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United
What to do you have from Dayuse.com that would help with the dispute ?
SPN Lifer and Russelltee like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
What to do you have from Dayuse.com that would help with the dispute ?
I have two e-mails from them...the first indicating that they're initiating an inquiry and apologizing for the issue, and the second expressing sincere apology for this "isolated incident" and providing a 15% discount on a future stay, hoping that this "will restore your faith in our services."
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The information from Dayuse should have been enough to prevail with the dispute, were those details included?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Name and shame.

Leave reviews on Google. I’d ding dayuse.com too, as should have made you whole, if the property didn’t.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The information from Dayuse should have been enough to prevail with the dispute, were those details included?
Yes, those e-mails were provided to Chase. Apparently, seeing a hotel sign-in slip with my signature was the deciding factor. I guess I can understand that logic, based on their protocols…
Old Feb 20, 2024, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Name and shame.

Leave reviews on Google. I’d ding dayuse.com too, as should have made you whole, if the property didn’t.
With the Dayuse e-mails, if there’s a chance a court filing would work, I may go that route first.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have my first ever booking with Dayuse coming up. I appreciate your experience being shared here, the rate I’ve agreed to is also a fraction of the standard night and I’d already arranged a Plan B in case I arrived and found I would not be accommodated. I’ll be extra wary now, thank you!
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Explore
I booked a day use reservation at an IHG-flagged property in California through Dayuse.com. When I arrived, the manager, who also seemed like the owner, refused to provide a room key on the grounds that the room was needed for overnight guests (indeed, the overnight room rate had jumped to multiples of the day use rate). Yet I had a confirmed reservation, and needed the room. I called Dayuse, who contacted the manager and spoke to him at length, but nothing doing. I then called Dayuse and they issued me a 15%-off code for a future stay, agreeing that the hotels's position violated their T&C. I checked into another hotel.

Imagine my surprise when I was billed for the room I wasn't allowed to occupy. I disputed the charge with Chase. They initiated a full investigation, which took several months. Unfortunately, the dispute has been resolved with Chase agreeing with the hotel that I did check in. As evidence, they sent me a record of the reservation with my signature. All I can think of is that the desk assistant had me sign that form before the manager refused me a room. In my surprise, I probably forgot I'd signed such a form moments before.

This evidence would seem to prevent me from taking the matter to Small Claims Court, which I'd otherwise intended to do. I happen to live in the same court jurisdiction as the hotel, so it wouldn't have been that inconvenient.

Any thoughts?
You can reopen the case with Chase and not accept its decision. To win, you must however have solid proof of the events. You can provide Chase with the information showing that you stayed at a different hotel. That you were refused by the hotel after you had signed check in documentation. It would be impossible for you to stay in both places at the same time. Your case would be further improved if you could get documentation from DayUse showing that you were refused by the first hotel.
Good luck
SPN Lifer and pudgym29 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 11:34 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
I guess it comes to requesting any signed forms to be voided by the other party, and asking for a copy of the voided form as well.

Unless the hotel cooperates and provides a signed letter explaining the service was not provided, Chase will not reverse their decision.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJNEDC
You can reopen the case with Chase and not accept its decision. To win, you must however have solid proof of the events. You can provide Chase with the information showing that you stayed at a different hotel. That you were refused by the hotel after you had signed check in documentation. It would be impossible for you to stay in both places at the same time. Your case would be further improved if you could get documentation from DayUse showing that you were refused by the first hotel.
Good luck
I provided Chase with a copy of the folio from the other hotel, a copy of the Dayuse e-mails, and my account of the situation.

Luckily we’re not talking about much over $100, but I think it’s worth a trip to Small Claims Court just for the adventure.
SPN Lifer and momoflyingguy like this.

Last edited by Explore; Feb 21, 2024 at 12:37 pm
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I provided Chase with a copy of the folio from the other hotel, a copy of the Dayuse e-mails, and my account of the situation.
You might point out to Chase that your signature on the sign-in sheet at hotel #1 was forged and not yours. Provide a side-by-side comparison.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
With the Dayuse e-mails, if there’s a chance a court filing would work, I may go that route first.
Why would you not help fellow travellers, posting the hotel name here and on other forums will not influence a court in any way !

You posted here I assume looking for help, why not help others , I certainly would like to avoid this property.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seems like a small claims case against the property should be cut and dry. Why not file?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 6:29 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
One of the investors in Dayuse is the EU Executive Agency for SMEs. https://www.crunchbase.com/organizat...any_financials

If one of their portfolio company is conducting actual fraud, I'm sure they would want to know.
TheJuice and Grey Nomad like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.