Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business travel - expensing refunded transactions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If your employer is such a miserable skinflint that it would lay claim to a refund awarded to an employee for an inconvenience they suffered and complained about then that is an employer not worth working for in the first place. Were that the reason cited for termination the resulting wrongful dismissal suit would not go well for the employer.
Maybe. I've personally known three people in very similar circumstances. none of them involving more than $500, and each lost their very well paid and cushy jobs, along with their pension, the sort I can only dream about having.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Really need make distinction between employee looking for unetical self enrichment at employers expense, versus employee being compensated for being more than slightly inconvenienced by some hotel/airline issue where the compensation "in kind (not cash)" is morally due the employee for the inconvenience.
Taken to the extreme, if ones employing company is only beneficiary of hotel/airline attempt to make things right, employee might just as well refuse the offered compensation.

All the companies I have worked have been strict on personal ethics, even if not strictly by law actually a fraud, if ethically unsound/wrong, you are out the door, no references etc
Problem is any self enrichment at expense of the company is not ethical, often borders on fraud , and in some companies unethical behaviour is an automatic sacking.
This also would eg include use of cashback websites for booking hotels, though usually hotel corp rates are non-comiisionable so can't accrue cashback.

Say IHG/Hilton/MR hotel walk you as an elite. Usually means
i)Hotel then refunds you the first nights room cost
ii)Hotel puts you in other hotel and pays that first night
iii)If refund to personal (not corp card) company wil be unaware
iv)no receipt from other hotel as first hotel paid it. Even truer if mandatory corp card is not charged
1. Net result, first night is free to you, but should not be charged to your company, ethically unsound to do so, could be fraud and worse lose you your job
2. As last person to arrive at 2200-0100 is you, you reach alternate hotel room at 2-3am but get up at 7am. You are the one incovemienced so believe compensation is due tou the employee, not your employing company who was paying for that number of nights anyway
.... i)In this case, ask first booked hotel to pay refund with points for first night (not cash).
.....ii)is (i) above still ethically sound ? As you enrich yourself at your companies expense. However this is the morally/ethically acceptable course for ones managers who sign ones expenses off

Larger issues regards the fraud , non ethical scenarios, where traveller is allowed to book themselves (no corp travel agency to use) and has max hotel rate for country+city pairing and chooses
a)book most costly even if not nearest convenient hotel to client location purely as more $$$/night means more hotel loyalty points accrue (really adds up over a year/lifetime )
b)book a bonus points rate (eg IHG rates) and argue still costs my company less than colleague staying in costlier HH/MR hotel.
(Sorry above still stiffs employer for extra usd10-20/night to self enrich you, whereas usd10-20 on different hotel whilst costing employer $$$ does not self enrich one)

.However I like most employees/managers/companies have no issues with employee booking HH/MR/Hyatt if closely comparable cost as have Elite status and free lounge/breakfast with one chain/alliance vesrus another.
I encouraged employees to choose a chain eg HH/MR and book that hotel to get elite perks, gym+pool even, though maybe slightly costlier on average as they are away from family+home+friends on company business each night on the road.
However I would never signoff employees without questioning why they max out allowed hotel rate, meals most nights away. Such company allowed rate figures are set maximum rates for when hotels are eg approaching high occupancy, and not for booking upto limit in a 5* versus 4* in quiet cheaper periods/times

Regards flights, some companies are well aware of voluntary downgrade tricks to enrich employees, and as well as booking invoice receipts require boarding passes t.oo. That prevents employee charging employer based on J invoices and travelling Y with a refund (VDB or other downgrade methods).

Most I.T. companies I flew for required both BPasses + Receipts for my expense claims, as they need to ensure only actually incurred costs are passed onto our clients. Same with hotels, checkout receipts (not booking invoices, CC Bills) needed to show hotel was actually used. and eg UK->/Europe/USA flights, never an issue anyone booking slightly costlier OW/*A/Skyteam flights to get lounge access, in recognition if flying in ones unpaid personal time.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:20 am

the sanctimony chorus is sure in rare form.

thought experiment at check-out:
front-desk: "so sorry about that fire alarm last night. would you like either the last night free or we can remove the $200 spa charge?
traveler: "i'll choose the latter."
boss: "you're fired"
rbwpi, emrdoc, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Whatever you pay out of pocket directly related to the trip should be submitted for reimbursement. If you paid $100 for something, but later was given an adjustment back, you should submit an expense report for $100 less the adjustment. This is fair and ethical.
I guess I am lucky, for the most part, as my accommodation allowance fixed at ¥10,000 and is paid beforehand. I don’t need to worry about submitting expense reports, all I need to do is show I stayed somewhere in the city I was supposed to be in. Could be a capsule hotel for ¥3,000 or the Intercontinental for ¥30,000 (or on points would be allowable too). The only thing not allowed is staying with a friend.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Badenoch
If your employer is such a miserable skinflint that it would lay claim to a refund awarded to an employee for an inconvenience they suffered and complained about then that is an employer not worth working for in the first place. Were that the reason cited for termination the resulting wrongful dismissal suit would not go well for the employer.
People who are willing to lift $100 are the ones who will do something much worse. Who needs those people representing the company whilst traveling?

Pay what it takes, get rid of them and replace them with people who want the job.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
People who are willing to lift $100 are the ones who will do something much worse. Who needs those people representing the company whilst traveling?

Pay what it takes, get rid of them and replace them with people who want the job.
yeah, because it's exactly like stealing a $100 bill from the petty cash drawer.

i'm with Badenoch, at 4% unemployment, screw the miserable skinflint.

it takes the mindset of a union cog to think in such binary ways about human capital.

employers look at the total value proposition.
it's why companies don't fire talent for coming in 15 minutes late too.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:50 am

The employee is the one who personally suffered from the poor service/experience/etc., so she should be the sole "beneficiary" of any refund or other compensation. Suppose the employee had encountered bed bugs at the hotel? The client/employer did not suffer from those bites, so they should not be unjustly enriched by this unfortunate situation. I can think of dozens of analogies. Your flight is delayed 6 hours, and the airline throws you a bone in the form of a $100 voucher. Should you give that voucher to your employer? Of course not! She is not the one who had to sit in the airport for 6 hours. When one of my employees suffers a miserable travel experience, I actually empathize with them. I might even toss in a bottle of wine, or perhaps some of my own points/miles for their personal use. It would never occur to me to ask "did you get some compensation for your wretched experience? Gimme gimme gimme!" Fortunately, I have been the boss for 25+ years, and prior to that I never worked for a really bad boss. Sadly, there are many bad bosses out there who think they should personally benefit from their employees' misfortunes. Inhuman...look it up.
emrdoc and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jrpallante; Apr 9, 2019 at 9:53 am Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:52 am

I posted a similar question several years ago relating to EC261 compensation. TL;DR - I kept the money.

Is this an ethical question or non-issue?
jrpallante and mendezka like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:55 am

It is not as black and white as many seem to think. So something bad happens to YOU. The hotels fault. Your employer gets rewarded for something bad happening to you? That is crazy.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I struggle to think why my company should be benefiting from my personal inconvenience if I am compensated for that.

I mean, if the only room available in the hotel when I arrive at midnight is noisy for reasons of e.g. faulty ventilation, I am the one who is personally inconvenienced by that, I am the one who couldn't get enough sleep and then (let's say) has to get up next day at 6 without properly sleeping to go to the airport to travel on. My company has benefited none from this, and neither has the client, if the trip is client billable. Similarly, if the trip is in business class according to travel policy, and I accept a voluntary downgrade, it's on me to make sure I am still able to work to 100% level after arrival (presuming that the travel policy is there to maintain productivity after long travel). Why the company should benefit from the 75% refund... it's not like they're gonna tell me not to bother showing up at clients first day then.
And if there is any impact on productivity, that's another story, but again, what difference does it make to the employer if that is because I accepted a downgrade or just went drinking of my own volition the night before.

Of course, if I was personally compensated for an expense I incurred I otherwise wouldn't, then that's a different thing - let's say that I had booked on a hotel rate with dinner, but dinner was never provided - instead I was given cash equivalent - that should go to the employer to offset the expense of the dinner I will claim on corporate card from other restaurants.

At the same time I understand that one should not actively seek out situations as outlined for personal benefit, i.e. book myself into a suite and then ask for a downgrade and pocket the difference. If the employer puts me up in the suite, it's probably for a reason. The argument I get for not claiming on commercial gestures from suppliers for reasons of creating tax issues, I understand, and I would grudginly agree to lower my claim as per any such refund received, but I will not agree that this is ethical. After all, my employer, or the client, as case may be, has received the services charged for. To them, it makes little difference if paying $10,000 for consultancy, or $5,000 for consultancy + $4,000 for flight + $1,000 for hotel. but I was supposed to consume the service of a hotel night in quality advertised, and was unable to do so.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Statement credits are the best way of keeping your side of the arrangement away from your employers eyes. E.g. if your employer offers to pay for Global Entry, you can go ahead and buy it. You can submit a receipt for it and prove you obtained it. Same for wifi passes if reimbursed as a statement credit.
To me it's just wrong to apply for GE once and expect that not only will the employer reimburse the cost but also that you'll take the AmEx statement credit for it. OTOH, it would seem to be OK to have a family member apply for GE first and claim the AmEx statement credit, then have the traveling employee apply and submit the bill to the employer for reimbursement.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Colin
yeah, because it's exactly like stealing a $100 bill from the petty cash drawer.

i'm with Badenoch, at 4% unemployment, screw the miserable skinflint.

it takes the mindset of a union cog to think in such binary ways about human capital.

employers look at the total value proposition.
it's why companies don't fire talent for coming in 15 minutes late too.
Then you change the policy.

Plenty of places pay for F, top hotels, and room service for top performers. Or they don't, but they pay significant bonuses.

The question raised here is what happens when the policy is rigid and you self-justify the pilferage.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Should one deduct from the travel expenses amount the cash back from the CC used to pay them ?

I don't think so and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. By the same token, discounts/refunds/rebates/compensations obtained by the traveller are not to be deducted from the expense refund amount.

By the way, Federal regulations allow the traveller to keep any refund personally obtained during the trip, as long as business is conducted as planned.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Then you change the policy.

Plenty of places pay for F, top hotels, and room service for top performers. Or they don't, but they pay significant bonuses.

The question raised here is what happens when the policy is rigid and you self-justify the pilferage.
Pilferage? LOL.

The employee in the OP's scenario answered a questionnaire and received a benefit for doing so because he was unsatisfied. The benefit is on his personal card. There is no mention of "policy" in the original post. In the absence of a policy, what is not specifically forbidden is approved. In this situation, only an obsequious, forelock-tugging toady would rush to his employer offering him the benefit.
Colin and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:55 pm

If you hate your employer and your job so much that you would risk it over a $100 statement credit, I would put my efforts into buffing up the resume and then shipping it off to my head hunter.
I was actually transparent and cleared it with my manager. It was also done during a time of an expenses freeze - I was instructed to put it on a personal card then expense it a few months later. That I got a statement credit is none of my employer business (although as I said, I told my boss anyway and they were fine). I paid $550 AF to qualify for that statement credit.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.