Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business travel - expensing refunded transactions

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn

Let's say you don't have a business cc. So instead you use your $500/yr AMEx card.
The card gets you a hotel status with gives you free breakfast. It gives you airport lounge access, so you're not having to expense your airside coffee/banana/water to your company.
Your card also reimburses you for airline fees up to a certain amount, so you pay upfront for your onboard meals and seat upgrade on DL and then AMEx reimburses you a month later.
Do you not expense those airline fees because you'll be reimbursed? Or do you report that reimbursement by AMEx?
Imo you should be able to expense those airline fees to your company and also hold onto AMEx's reimbursement. After all, airline fee reimbursement is a cc benefit that you've paid for. And your company is already benefitting from free breakfast and lounge access benefits that also come with your personal cc.
I would not charge those items back to the company if I was getting them refunded. It is my personal choice to use a credit card with a fee attached, I could use a free card and expense those items if I preferred.

It's the same as hotel / FF status - if you get free breakfast because you are a Plat, you don't then claim for a paid breakfast. If you get free seat assignments, you don't charge your company the equivalent.

Points aside (as there are clear rules around those) and per diems aside as well since they are a different beast, I don't think the traveler should end up better off by traveling, but nor should they be worse off.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by emma69
I would not charge those items back to the company if I was getting them refunded. It is my personal choice to use a credit card with a fee attached, I could use a free card and expense those items if I preferred.

It's the same as hotel / FF status - if you get free breakfast because you are a Plat, you don't then claim for a paid breakfast. If you get free seat assignments, you don't charge your company the equivalent.

Points aside (as there are clear rules around those) and per diems aside as well since they are a different beast, I don't think the traveler should end up better off by traveling, but nor should they be worse off.
In your first point, though, if you automatically get a reimbursement of airline fees paid for company travel, you no longer have that full credit available for your personal travel, right? If you don’t expense it, then you’ve effectively spent your own money on company business.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I have seen this play out for real in a large Corp. It's fine to expense items allowed within Corp policy, even if you get a rebate behind the scenes. The fact is you did pay for them and have evidence of the purchase you can provide.
What was not ok was submitting a cash expense for say $10 for lunch because you ate in a lounge. It's a bit of a grey area, because you could argue that you'd spend that or more having lunch in an airport restaurant. In effect, money was being saved, but on the other hand there was no transaction taking place. Additionally, the Corp policy specifically prohibited reimbursement of lounge memberships, which was in effect what was happening via the back door.
i would never try to expense an item that I didn’t directly pay for (eg, coffee/food from lounge access that’s a paid benefit with my own cc). I know that’s definitely pushing it and besides you can’t ask for reimbursement on something without a receipt.

I was asking more about the other example where I pay upfront for inflight meals and seat upgrade which subsequently get reimbursed by AMex as part of my paid benefits. And you indicate that should be okay, which I tend to agree with.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by strickerj

In your first point, though, if you automatically get a reimbursement of airline fees paid for company travel, you no longer have that full credit available for your personal travel, right? If you don’t expense it, then you’ve effectively spent your own money on company business.
Thats exactly how I feel.
You’d be denying yourself that paid benefit, yet allowing your company to benefit from that (plus other paid benefits such as free breakfast which of course you don’t expense).
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

If you get a free breakfast due to status, you can decide instead to pay for breakfast elsewhere and have that expense reimbursed. However, I wouldn't do this if I had picked a hotel rate that includes breakfast or if breakfast is provided as part of a conference registration fee.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

It it was a limited benefit that I would otherwise use personally, then I would choose to use another card for that expense. If it is, say, a $100 per year credit, and I knew I was only likely to use $50, I would have no issue using the other $50 for company expenses. If I would use the $100 later in the year myself, I would probably just use a different card entirely - if for some reason I had to use the card, and would otherwise use the credit myself I would note an exception on my expense voucher, provided the item was within expense policy, with the details of the card etc. and request reimbursement. I would not just put it through as a regular expense, because for me, that situation require a notation should anyone look deeper. I hold myself to pretty high ethical standards, and expect the same of my staff. If one of them did this and told me the circumstances, cool. If they didn't and I later found out, I would wonder why they hadn't been entirely transparent about it.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you get a free breakfast due to status, you can decide instead to pay for breakfast elsewhere and have that expense reimbursed. However, I wouldn't do this if I had picked a hotel rate that includes breakfast or if breakfast is provided as part of a conference registration fee.
I am fine with that - it is an actual expense incurred - what I meant is you wouldn't get free breakfast due to status, then claim $15 for that free breakfast on your expense report (I would hope...)
Old May 2, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I am fine with that - it is an actual expense incurred - what I meant is you wouldn't get free breakfast due to status, then claim $15 for that free breakfast on your expense report (I would hope...)
No, of course not. In fact, I'm mostly thinking of situations where the free breakfast is bad or is inadequate due to food allergies, religious rules, vegan/vegetarian decisions, etc.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, of course not. In fact, I'm mostly thinking of situations where the free breakfast is bad or is inadequate due to food allergies, religious rules, vegan/vegetarian decisions, etc.
Yep, I am totally ok with that. I might explain why I didn't get the free one but given how awful some free breakfasts are, I have no issue expensing an alternate breakfast in those circumstances. I do know someone who ate two breakfasts (he had the free hotel one, then came with me to eat again an hour later!) He was super thin as well, I figure he had a tapeworm he had to keep well fed...
Old May 2, 2019, 9:35 am

A second breakfast for the purpose of a business meeting would seem to be fine, especially if the individual woke up much earlier and wanted (the first) breakfast at that time.

In fact, I would hope that reimbursement policies were flexible on the labeling of meals and snacks within reason, but I've had trouble with reimbursements for brunch (for example, when that's all that' served in the restaurant in the hotel where my meeting is held) instead of asking for breakfast and/or lunch. For me, it's a big problem is the receipt says brunch regardless of the price or included/excluded items (for example, when the only option is s brunch buffet and it does not include alcohol).
Old May 2, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A second breakfast for the purpose of a business meeting would seem to be fine, especially if the individual woke up much earlier and wanted (the first) breakfast at that time.

In fact, I would hope that reimbursement policies were flexible on the labeling of meals and snacks within reason, but I've had trouble with reimbursements for brunch (for example, when that's all that' served in the restaurant in the hotel where my meeting is held) instead of asking for breakfast and/or lunch. For me, it's a big problem is the receipt says brunch regardless of the price or included/excluded items (for example, when the only option is s brunch buffet and it does not include alcohol).
In this instance, he was just hungry! And our company has no issue with it - if someone is hungry because they normally eat 5-6 meals a day (I know people who work out heavily often do this), or if jet lag has got the better of you and you are ravenous even when you don't normally eat a lot, food is a basic human need and I would question a company limiting quantity of food (price is another matter perhaps, as I know some companies have limits on meals). That said, I was in Europe with a friend (both there on work) and her company only allowed her a very small amount to spend (it did not cover a starter and main at a mid range Italian restaurant) which I think is pretty silly, employees should be able to eat where they would normally at home.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is important to separate out what may be silly policies from the importance of being accurate. If one does not like one's employer's travel policy, either get it changed, live with it, or call your head hunter. There really are employers which require their people to stay at chains which offer an included breakfast. If they do, then expensing a breakfast is a bad idea unless one can provide a specific reason.

The same for companies which do 99% of their travel in small midwestern cities and then send someone to Italy and wonder why a meal is more expensive.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

The same for companies which do 99% of their travel in small midwestern cities and then send someone to Italy and wonder why a meal is more expensive.
^
That made me chuckle.
It's sounds ludicrous, but it happens.
Too long a story for an aside, but that exactly happened to me.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:54 pm

I would note an exception on my expense voucher, provided the item was within expense policy, with the details of the card etc. and request reimbursement. I would not just put it through as a regular expense, because for me, that situation require a notation should anyone look deeper. I hold myself to pretty high ethical standards, and expect the same of my staff. If one of them did this and told me the circumstances, cool. If they didn't and I later found out, I would wonder why they hadn't been entirely transparent about it.
If you divulge those types of details to corporate, though, I think chances are good that they will not put much thought into it and decide to not reimburse you. At least that's been my experience.

I too would like to think that I hold myself to high ethical standards. At the same time, I don't want to be shortchanged. I think most of us here would agree that your company should reimburse you for in-flight meal payment transactions that are due AMEx reimbursement per your personal paid benefits; otherwise the company reaps the reward of the benefit that you'd paid for. I don't think there's any doubt about that. What I think constitutes the gray area is whether/not you still have to report to the corporate all these details when you expense these items. It's interesting to hear your opinion, and so it gives me something to think about. But again I think you then risk being shortchanged if you report all those details. If you don't report it and then someone decides to "look deeper," then your defense is that the common sense dictates that these fees should be reimbursed by the company.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
If you divulge those types of details to corporate, though, I think chances are good that they will not put much thought into it and decide to not reimburse you. At least that's been my experience.

I too would like to think that I hold myself to high ethical standards. At the same time, I don't want to be shortchanged. I think most of us here would agree that your company should reimburse you for in-flight meal payment transactions that are due AMEx reimbursement per your personal paid benefits; otherwise the company reaps the reward of the benefit that you'd paid for. I don't think there's any doubt about that. What I think constitutes the gray area is whether/not you still have to report to the corporate all these details when you expense these items. It's interesting to hear your opinion, and so it gives me something to think about. But again I think you then risk being shortchanged if you report all those details. If you don't report it and then someone decides to "look deeper," then your defense is that the common sense dictates that these fees should be reimbursed by the company.
I've actually found the opposite to be true. Because I often provide commentary with my expenses, they very very rarely come back with questions, and I've never had an issue if, say, a receipt does go missing, as they are pretty confident that what I say is true, is true, and that I am not the type to sneak things through (and I keep detailed records to boot). I am also pretty neat about my receipts (sorted by type of expense, date order, neatly clipped etc.) which I think accounting appreciates as it makes their life much easier than the guys (and I am afraid it is men!) who throw any and all scraps of paper in an internal mail envelope and expect people to know what they are (especially if they are not written in a Latin alphabet). As an aside, it is also much easier for me, I use a multi envelope system when travelling to separate by credit card and cash, and by type of expense. There's also a bit of give and take, for example, I had a 15% discount code for an issue on a personal trip (no grey area as to who that code belongs to), but because of my travel patterns, I was not going to be able to use it for a personal trip. I had no hesitation applying it to a work flight, and saving the company a fair chunk of change (business class trans-pac). I document those things as well, more to protect coworkers than virtue signalling (I think!) because otherwise they get 'well Emma found a ticket for $X why did YOURS cost $Y for the same flight??'

I don't end up out of pocket when I travel on business (if you don't count side trips to buy lovely personal things in foreign department stores!) and from time to time when I have an expense that raises eyebrows / is decidedly out of policy (for example, a horribly excessive taxi fee when we were at the mercy of the only taxi that could return us to our hotel late at night, or a client who ordered obscene food and drinks at a dinner) they grant those exceptions pretty easily.
Often1 and evergrn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.