Business travel - expensing refunded transactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business travel - expensing refunded transactions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
Indeed there are many employers which prohibit voluntary DB and voluntary downgrades.
I've been told that government fares have a contract provision which essentailly says that the traveler cannot be IDBed and normal government rules (which very somewhat by agency) seem to permit taking a VDB on the way home if it's during your time off from work, but not when you're on your way to something and not if you're on the clock.

It wouldn't surprise me if protection from IDBs were also part of some large corporate travel contracts, although now that seems almost irrelevant in the USA with carriers having policies to pay whatever is necessary to get volunteers.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

Indeed there are many employers which prohibit voluntary DB and voluntary downgrades.
Sometimes we are forced into booking unfavorable flight times to get the cheapest, or somewhat closest to cheapest, price. That gives me no problem in taking a VDB.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Sometimes we are forced into booking unfavorable flight times to get the cheapest, or somewhat closest to cheapest, price. That gives me no problem in taking a VDB.
You missed the point. Some employers prohibit taking VDB's.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:15 pm

You missed the point. Some employers prohibit taking VDB's.
I didn't. But I did quote the wrong post
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This is compensation to the individual for an inconvenience suffered by the individual not the company. Therefore, it belongs to the individual who is under no obligation to report it. Similarly, if a passenger is IDB'd in Europe he would be compensated but hardly expected to turn that money over to the company who paid for his trip. In the absence of a corporate policy stating otherwise I would have no problem explaining this to auditors or using it as my defense in a wrongful dismissal suit.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Badenoch
This is compensation to the individual for an inconvenience suffered by the individual not the company. Therefore, it belongs to the individual who is under no obligation to report it. Similarly, if a passenger is IDB'd in Europe he would be compensated but hardly expected to turn that money over to the company who paid for his trip. In the absence of a corporate policy stating otherwise I would have no problem explaining this to auditors or using it as my defense in a wrongful dismissal suit.
How would you explain the additional undeclared income (and it is income from your employer if it is not offsetting an expense incurred) to the tax man?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
How would you explain the additional undeclared income (and it is income from your employer if it is not offsetting an expense incurred) to the tax man?
I'm sure my accountant would advise me on the appropriate course of action.
rbwpi likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I don't think it's that cut and dried, it depends on who was harmed. If the EU 261 compensation was because your flight home was delayed, then you were harmed. If it was because your flight out was late, so you missed the meeting you were supposed to attend, but got home on schedule, then it was your employer that was harmed, not you.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Apples and oranges. EC 261/2004 is clearly payable to the passenger. It has nothing to do with who paid for the ticket or whether there was any harm from the delay at all.

But, that has nothing to do with one's employment obligations which may very well require that the amount be paid over to the employer.

This thread has, however, focused on people who voluntarily accept reroutes or downgrades and that is something which an employer could prohibit as a simple matter of its own employment policy.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
I would first just mention it to my manager. In the scenario of a fully-refunded room night there might be general agreement that the company should get reimbursed. If it's for something trivial like a $10 breakfast that was refunded, I think there would be general agreement that it would not be worth everyone's time to pay that back.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

Many people would much prefer to use their personal card and be reimbursed. It helps to build credit (which may be helpful in terms of lower mortgage and other large ticket borrowing) and may also provide travel and other benefits.
This statement implying business credit cards don’t help build personal credit is untrue, or misleading at best. Try missing 2 payments with an Amex corporate card and see what happens to your credit report.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Collierkr

This statement implying business credit cards don’t help build personal credit is untrue, or misleading at best. Try missing 2 payments with an Amex corporate card and see what happens to your credit report.
My corporate Amex is not on my credit report at all. Are you saying if I missed a payment it wouldn't suddenly show up?
milski and emrdoc like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Every company is going to react differently. Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?
Certain people lack common sense regarding ethics and social structures
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Collierkr

Maybe it depends on what your company's arrangement is with the card provider but that's not universal - I know my card isn't reported on my credit report and they made sure I was aware of that when I got the card.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Whatever you pay out of pocket directly related to the trip should be submitted for reimbursement. If you paid $100 for something, but later was given an adjustment back, you should submit an expense report for $100 less the adjustment. This is fair and ethical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.