Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, and we have never once had a problem. Rooms are in my name. She normally checks in and all is fine. Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.

Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee. The hotel called me to confirm my MR number and phone number and then they let her stay in the room and I still got the points. They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though.

Funny thing was we were paying standard rate for the room of about $300 as it was in Hawaii.

It wasn't a big deal and I do understand my wife's name was not on the rez.

While I understand the policy the hotel clerk kept saying to me that I didn't add my wife's name to the reservation. While Starwood used to have the box to add a name to the rez, if I recal. It seems Marriott has nothing now. It just allows one name. So I can't add a name to a rez. I could change a name but not add a name.

I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there but this kind of front desk police seems a bit much for a standard price room.

No, I am not asking if I deserve compensation as I understand we were technically in violation since I was not there. No worries.

Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:48 pm

Foremost - the rude behavior by the hotel is an abomination, and whoever manages that property should be ashamed.

Second - if your wife's name was not on your reservation, why would you expect her to be able to check in? It seems like a basic security protocol to allow only guests whose names come up on the reservation. Of course at the point the hotel called you and you confirmed your wife should have access, the hotel should have apologized then and there for any inconvenience.

Third - I have never had a problem checking into Hilton and Hyatt hotels as a second guest, even when the method of payment is points or free night cert, and the primary guest never makes an appearance. I've always received the primary guest's elite benefits. I've never done this with SPG or Marriott hotels, however, and I've always called the hotel in advance to say I will be checking in first, without the primary guest present.
BearX220, CPRich, beachfan and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If her name is not on the reservation, it's perfectly reasonable that the hotel would deny giving her a key.

Your post suggests that your wife was the only guest. If you weren't there, the amenity (and the points) were not due.

As an extreme case, what if an angry, estranged spouse showed up and asked for a key?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP isn't present, wife gets no elite benefits and the elite doesn't get nights credit or points for the stay.

IMO it's over the top to refer to police when law enforcement was't present nor were they called by the hotel as far as we know.
kennycrudup, rbwpi, Often1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

I appreciate all the replies and agree with many. Even the post-police above. Thanks for looking out for us MSP and policing people's posts.

My point is my wife has checked in dozens of times without me standing with her and we have never once had anybody bat an eye at her.

I fully agree that's it's reasonable and it's the policy since her name was not on the room. My question is if other people have had their spouse check in and if they have ever had similar over zealous front desk operatives. Since it has never happened to us like this before I was surprised so curious about others.

Since Marriott only allows one name on a rez it makes it tough for couples that consider my account "our" account. If we got divorced she would want half the points. Lol.

I am not complaining except to say I wish Marriott did like other hotels do.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I always put my wife's name in the reservation with a note that she'll be checking in, if I'm going to be late or not there at all. Of course if website does not allow for that, then I'll call and ask for a note. Only time I had a problem was when my daughter checked in at Athens Hilton. They asked her to make sure her dad checked with the front desk when I arrived. They did offer Club Lounge access (I was Gold at the time), but they charged for wifi.

You made a tactical error having your wife check in when her name is not on the reservation. This is where the Hilton website is nice, allowing for second person name and comment field.

Last edited by CIT85; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:01 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I appreciate all the replies and agree with many. Even the post-police above. Thanks for looking out for us MSP and policing people's posts.

My point is my wife has checked in dozens of times without me standing with her and we have never once had anybody bat an eye at her.

I fully agree that's it's reasonable and it's the policy since her name was not on the room. My question is if other people have had their spouse check in and if they have ever had similar over zealous front desk operatives. Since it has never happened to us like this before I was surprised so curious about others.

Since Marriott only allows one name on a rez it makes it tough for couples that consider my account "our" account. If we got divorced she would want half the points. Lol.

It's not "our" account. Starriott doesn't offer family accounts.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards

Sooner or later you are going to bump into someone who choses to enforce the rules. Checking under somebody else's name (even spouse) is supposed to be an exception, not the practice. Maybe this property had an issue with a 3rd party checking in the past.
SPG didn't have a special box to add a 2nd guest, just the general memo box. You better call, though it is not a guarantee. My wife added me to a hotel rezzy last year but an agent pretended that he didn't see my name. I had to call my wife and ask her to talk to him.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by CIT85
I always put my wife's name in the reservation with a note that she'll be checking in, if I'm going to be late or not there at all. Of course if website does not allow for that, then I'll call and ask for a note. Only time I had a problem was when my daughter checked in at Athens Hilton. They asked her to make sure her dad checked with the front desk when I arrived. They did offer Club Lounge access (I was Gold at the time), but they charged for wifi.

You made a tactical error having your wife check in when her name is not on the reservation. This is where the Hilton website is nice, allowing for second person name and comment field.
This, if she wasn't on the reservation that's on you and the property should ask questions. Otherwise almost anyone with your last name that knew you were staying there could check in.

I wish there was a box to add a 2nd guest when making a reservation to make it easier, but a quick call to the hotel or Marriott to add a 2nd guest solves this problem 99% of the time.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I don't want anyone else gaining access to my room unless I authorize it. I'm sure that I don't have to lay out the possibilities, do I? OK, if you insist. Here's just one:

Professionally dressed woman appears at the front desk, convinces FD agent that she's my wife whose flight was delayed and is given a key. When I arrive, I get up to my room to find her and an armed compatriot who relieve me of my valuables.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.............Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all................They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though...........
You can swing by front desk after you park the car to request platinum amenity.
MSPeconomist and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:09 pm

OP, I would send the GM at the hotel an email describing the situation. Be clear. Describe how you might have better handled the situation by adding your wife's name to reservation.
Then point out:
Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee.
If possible include the staff member's names.

The front desk agent and manager could have easily handled the situation in a positive manner yet choose another route. Marriott front desk agents and mangers receive customer handling training, possibly a course refresher is due!!
  • Unfortunately most of the posters in this thread seemed to be as clueless as the front desk agent and the manager.
  • The OP is not asking about missing plat points.
  • Nor is the OP asking who should have access to the room regardless of their attire.
  • And no the thread is not about the names listed on the reservation.
  • "IMO it's over the top to refer to police" sadly referring to the front desk agent as someone who grilled the OP's wife like a police officer grills a suspect during an interrogation seems to have confused one poster.
SacTownGuy likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:46 pm

My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, and we have never once had a problem. Rooms are in my name. She normally checks in and all is fine. Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.

Last week at a CY she was given the riot act to the point she was in tears. The hotel would not let her check in. The "manager" was even ruder than the first employee. The hotel called me to confirm my MR number and phone number and then they let her stay in the room and I still got the points. They wouldn't give her the plat welcome amenity though.

Funny thing was we were paying standard rate for the room of about $300 as it was in Hawaii.

It wasn't a big deal and I do understand my wife's name was not on the rez.

While I understand the policy the hotel clerk kept saying to me that I didn't add my wife's name to the reservation. While Starwood used to have the box to add a name to the rez, if I recal. It seems Marriott has nothing now. It just allows one name. So I can't add a name to a rez. I could change a name but not add a name.

I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there but this kind of front desk police seems a bit much for a standard price room.

No, I am not asking if I deserve compensation as I understand we were technically in violation since I was not there. No worries.

Curious if anybody else has encountered this or maybe it was just a one off situation!?

You said I would never have her check in to a points rez without me there.......why not? My buddy and I always goes on vacation. He always arrives before me and checks in. I just call about a hour before letting them know he is going to be there early. He checks in, I never stop by the front desk....I have also had him stay on a rewards reservation and I was not there. You are allowed to make rewards reservations for someone other than you but you have to call Marriott to get that done.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:17 pm

The way I see it the OP can only “claim” customer service issue for the “severity” of interaction between said hotel staff/manager and his wife.

Everything else, the hotel is correct in denying your wife check-in and all the benefits associated with it and I applaud the hotel for doing it.

Maybe I missed it, why did the OP expect someone else to (in this case the wife) to check in without confirming second guest name ahead of time with the hotel, AND expecting to still check-in?

————
The way I really see it
The OP has done this many times and finally hit a property that does it by the books. Customer service aside because who knows how the OP’s wife reacted since she may have done this many time without issue, a lot of “finger pointing” both ways. In reality if the OP wasn’t showing up, he really wanted the benefits for the wife (because I for one want the same for my gf or family as well if put into this position). Somewhere in here there was a DYKWIA, maybe from both sides. (Speculation here of course )

Last edited by myperks; Jan 29, 2019 at 10:42 pm
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
..The way I really see it
The OP has done this many times and finally hit a property that does it by the books. Customer service aside because who knows how the OP’s wife reacted since she may have done this many time without issue, a lot of “finger pointing” both ways. In reality if the OP wasn’t showing up, he really wanted the benefits for the wife (because I for one want the same for my gf or family as well if put into this position). Somewhere in here there was a DYKWIA, maybe from both sides. (Speculation here of course )
+1.^ Me think OP needs stay credit for their "joint" Platinum account to requalify.

.............My point is my wife has checked in dozens of times without me standing with her and we have never once had anybody bat an eye at her..................Since Marriott only allows one name on a rez it makes it tough for couples that consider my account "our" account. If we got divorced she would want half the points...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.