Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Here's a really basic way to know if somebody is well bred: ask them for something. If they say "absolutely, have my pen" or "not a problem, work in your set" or "of course you can have the last donut" you can tell they have been well bred.

If instead they whine about "me first" and "self reliance" you can be rather sure they attended a terrible school.
This is so true; a well-bred person finds delight in helping others. Giving -- and forgiving -- is a virtue.

Yes there are unjustifiably entitled and selfish people out there. In the present situation, however, we are talking about a friggin' pen.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:39 pm

I fly out of HNL and always bring a bunch hotel pens to give to FAs on the way back. Some are really appreciative because the have had passengers blow up at them for not having pens for the required agricultural form. Others (fewer in number) take the pens without a word, smile, or nod, like it was my job to bring them.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
I remember upgrading into First on a US Airways flight from CLT to SJO and I asked the FA for a pen, she went on a rant, berated me and told me that I need to travel everywhere with a pen, etc. After that day I always try to pack one in my carry on just in case.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
I disagree emphatically with the last two posts. Declining to lend a pen is perfectly fine. Declining in a curt manner is demeaning and dismissive. A substantive explanation ("the pen is expensive, sentimental, etc.") is unnecessary, but implicit acknowledgement that the request is eminently reasonable is necessary. "I'm sorry, I prefer to keep my pen to myself. Perhaps you may ask a flight attendant?"

Polite behavior all around keeps everyone comfortable. Only in the unlikely event someone insists or demands to borrow the pen, is a more direct "No, sir/ma'am," appropriate.
Absolutely spot on. Given the abrupt response I also don't see any issue with the OP's light hearted comment to his wife. If the non-lender overheard and took offence then that's his problem. There was no offensive or abusive language used and the OP simply exercised his right to freedom of speech.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:07 am

''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".
And I would have replied with "Does this guy think I am an office supply store?"

When people ask to borrow a pen, they are basically saying "I am far too lazy to get my pen from the overhead / take time to prepare for this flight". I've lost so many pen's by lending them out, often having to pick up another for a connecting flight. I just can't do it anymore.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Absolutely spot on. Given the abrupt response I also don't see any issue with the OP's light hearted comment to his wife. If the non-lender overheard and took offence then that's his problem. There was no offensive or abusive language used and the OP simply exercised his right to freedom of speech.
A complete stranger who asks to borrow my personal property and makes a smart mouth remark should I choose to decline can expect me to exercise my freedom of speech. It will be an uncomfortable and humiliating experience for them.

Those prattling on about breeding, being polite and good schools should limit their opinions to on-line commentary. In real life you might encounter an ill-bred, impolite, unmannered person who went to the wrong school who is more than prepared to offer a contrary opinion in a manner you won't find befitting your lofty status.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
A complete stranger who asks to borrow my personal property and makes a smart mouth remark should I choose to decline can expect me to exercise my freedom of speech. It will be an uncomfortable and humiliating experience for them.

Those prattling on about breeding, being polite and good schools should limit their opinions to on-line commentary. In real life you might encounter an ill-bred, impolite, unmannered person who went to the wrong school who is more than prepared to offer a contrary opinion in a manner you won't find befitting your lofty status.
How could you possibly know how other people will feel? Maybe they couldn't care less what you say in response. Funny how you conveniently didn't make reference to the harsh tone that was used when declining which was key to both mine and the poster who I quoted's argument. I also noted that you chose not to reply to his or her well put argument in response to your post
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:13 am

Whenever I go overseas for travel, the passport is on me at all times during flight. A pen is on me as well. Usually it is one that I don't mind losing or lending out, because I tend to pick up pens at farm shows. These are the freebies, and I don't care if I get it back or not, as I keep another one in the carry on bag, just in case.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
man there are some uptight people here. It is a pen for goodness sake. "Do unto others" is a nice way to live your life.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
man there are some uptight people here. It is a pen for goodness sake. "Do unto others" is a nice way to live your life.
Amen to that. A harmless request to borrow a pen and some are treating it like some major contractual dispute or courtroom drama. Perspective.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

If someone asked me for a pen, I would say, "TAKE THE PEN"

Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
I disagree emphatically with the last two posts. Declining to lend a pen is perfectly fine. Declining in a curt manner is demeaning and dismissive. A substantive explanation ("the pen is expensive, sentimental, etc.") is unnecessary, but implicit acknowledgement that the request is eminently reasonable is necessary. "I'm sorry, I prefer to keep my pen to myself. Perhaps you may ask a flight attendant?"

Polite behavior all around keeps everyone comfortable. Only in the unlikely event someone insists or demands to borrow the pen, is a more direct "No, sir/ma'am," appropriate.
I'm nominating your post for the prize, except for one thing. The request is possibly eminently reasonable but the reasonableness rests on certain assumptions.

As the inventor of the Flyertalk Bond Aviator Pen [Patent pending] I must point out that this pen is only in one of its functions, a conventional pen. The Flyertalk Bond Aviator Pen looks like any ballpoint gel pen and does in fact include that as a function, but only one function. It actually has four buttons, the first when depressed extends the ink flowing end, as per usual. Buttons 2, 3, and 4 when depressed will:
* cause the seats of aisle and window passengers who hog the middle seat armrests to be ejected out the nearest window;
* ditto for anyone who poaches a seat not assigned to them
* don't even ask what the fourth button does when depressed.

When asking to borrow the Flyertalk Bond Aviator Pen, phrase it thus:
"if it isn't inconvenient, I would appreciate borrowing your pen." Unlike "Would you mind.." which suggests that inconvenience is unlikely, "if it isn't inconvenient..." suggests the opposite: the default case is that the owner or even the borrower or even both parties may incur inconvenience if the pen is lent. For example, if the Flyertalk Bond Aviator Pen is handled by an untrained party, death - possibly their own - may ensue. This result presumably the borrower would mind, or they would mind if they were still alive to mind.
wrp96 and ceedee475 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Saint4805
How could you possibly know how other people will feel? Maybe they couldn't care less what you say in response. Funny how you conveniently didn't make reference to the harsh tone that was used when declining which was key to both mine and the poster who I quoted's argument. I also noted that you chose not to reply to his or her well put argument in response to your post
LOL. Harsh tone? You and I have very different views of harsh.

There are too many Blanche Dubois in this world. Always depending on the kindness of strangers.

Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
It wouldn't bother me at all, as I always carry one of those little half sized UAL amenity kit pens with me in my carry on. I think there are still 4-5 sitting in a jar on my desk actually.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
On a side note, if I were to borrow someone's pen to fill out said forms, would it be more polite for me to pass it around and lend it to other hapless travellers or return it to the lender?

-James
Return to the lender. They were kind enough to lend it to you, so don't presume that somehow gives you "permission" to lend it to others. It's not yours to lend.
FXWizard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.