Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Seems condescending to me. The very nannying I am trying to avoid. I would simply say "Yes, here is my pen" and when they note that it is out of ink, I would apologize and watch as their pen problem deepens.
And with a smug, self-satisfied smile, yes?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
And with a smug, self-satisfied smile, yes?
No, I would act like I had no idea. My schadenfreude would be internal.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Seems condescending to me. The very nannying I am trying to avoid. I would simply say "Yes, here is my pen" and when they note that it is out of ink, I would apologize and watch as their pen problem deepens.
I wouldn't carry an empty pen on the off chance some Kettle or other dufus might ask to borrow one. I'd just lend them mine but keep a close eye on it.

This thread has however caused me to reconsider my generous and accommodating outlook in response to the number of condescending and "morally superior" people who disparage those who don't immediately turn over their personal property to a complete and perhaps unwashed stranger upon request. I may now stop lending pens entirely or at least deliver a stern lecture on the need for proper preparation and self-reliance when travelling and demand to know if they washed their hands after having a pee.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
No, I would act like I had no idea. My schadenfreude would be internal.
A calculating and cold deception, eh?

“The truest way to be deceived is to think oneself more knowing than others.”
― Francois de La Rochefoucauld
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
This is why I have eight pens in my blazer. Yes, you read that correctly: eight.
In my early days of travel (a few years ago) I always took a pen with me from the hotel or airline (only the nice metalic ones) and put them in my left pocket of the blazer. they started pilling up until I had five and there was no more room for other ones. (and the weight is really a problem when you have more than five pens and something else in the pocket). I am happy to lend them to others but will watch them carefully so that i do get the pen back, as I’ve been using and seeing them for years. (Yes, they are pens and yet I have built a small sentimental relationship with them, heck I could even tell you by heart in whoch order (from left to right) what branded pen sits including when and where I got them. sue me).In my other pocket I have an etui that was gifted to me from the wife from my then recently deceased grand uncle. It was gifted to him by her very early in their relationship and he had it with him most if not all the time. I will never ever lend one of those three pens to anybody. Maybe the guy you described was in a similar situation.

In my opinion a pen is something one just has to have with him all the time. This is closly followed by a handkerchief and a pocket knife and maybe a lighter. (as well as obvious things like ID and a Credit Card)

Last edited by Nick Art; Sep 13, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Nick Art

In my opinion a pen is something one just has to have with him all the time. This is closly followed by a handkerchief and a pocket knife and maybe a lighter. (as well as obvious things like ID and a Credit Card)
You forgot your towel!
ajGoes, KBRDU, DragonSoul and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I wouldn't carry an empty pen on the off chance some Kettle or other dufus might ask to borrow one. I'd just lend them mine but keep a close eye on it.

This thread has however caused me to reconsider my generous and accommodating outlook in response to the number of condescending and "morally superior" people who disparage those who don't immediately turn over their personal property to a complete and perhaps unwashed stranger upon request. I may now stop lending pens entirely or at least deliver a stern lecture on the need for proper preparation and self-reliance when travelling and demand to know if they washed their hands after having a pee.
Indeed. People who travel without a pen don't know how to adult.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
You forgot your towel!
Don’t panic.

DenverBrian and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Art
This is why I have eight pens in my blazer. Yes, you read that correctly: eight.
In my early days of travel (a few years ago) I always took a pen with me from the hotel or airline (only the nice metalic ones) and put them in my left pocket of the blazer. they started pilling up until I had five and there was no more room for other ones. (and the weight is really a problem when you have more than five pens and something else in the pocket). I am happy to lend them to others but will watch them carefully so that i do get the pen back, as I’ve been using and seeing them for years. (Yes, they are pens and yet I have built a small sentimental relationship with them, heck I could even tell you by heart in whoch order (from left to right) what branded pen sits including when and where I got them. sue me).In my other pocket I have an etui that was gifted to me from the wife from my then recently deceased grand uncle. It was gifted to him by her very early in their relationship and he had it with him most if not all the time. I will never ever lend one of those three pens to anybody. Maybe the guy you described was in a similar situation.

Don't forget the neck pillow that's how you set yourself apart from the kettles

-James
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by j2simpso

Don't forget the neck pillow that's how you set yourself apart from the kettles

-James

This - they have better ones there.
I'll get rid of this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by ilcannone
I absolutely 100% agree with all of this. However - never fly within the former USSR nations then, lol. Take it from someone who travels from Kaliningrad to Kamchatka and everywhere in between in and out of Moscow on a regular basis!
If you think flying inside former USSR is bad (no need to tell me - I was born there), you have not yet tried to fly inside China.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by invisible
If you think flying inside former USSR is bad (no need to tell me - I was born there), you have not yet tried to fly inside China.
Already have and in the Gulf. I find them worse than the ex USSR. However, I have a far greater experience pan Russia etc than China/the Gulf and know what most westerners would find infuriating is commonplace in other parts of the world.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Some people always lose pens, and some people are always finding pens.
I am the latter.

In school, I always found pens or pencils on the floors, and would pick them up. Almost everyone in class learned that I had extras I would loan.

I carry 2-3 pens, including freebies from conferences, etc. I also have to have one for my wife as she always is borrowing mine.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:01 am

I foolishly flew without a pen last time out, but just asked a Flight Attendant for one.

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Some people are just selfish, but I can see reasonable reasons behind the refusal.

I personally wash my hands at the first chance I get after getting off an airplane because the surfaces are so contaminated by dirt, grime, DNA, and micro-organisms. Airplanes, and the people on them, are generally gross.

I don't want a stranger handling my pen - I don't know where your hands have been! It isn't your seat neighbor's responsibility to have a pen for you. Even though it would have been nice of him to loan the pen, he is within his rights to be selfish and I'm sure you found plenty of pens in the CBP area at your arrival airport and went about your day with minimal delay anyway.
I'm probably the other way around. Some time ago I loaned someone a pen in a meeting, and they put it in their mouth. My main concern was for them, as I of course knew where the pen had been.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I would simply say "Yes, here is my pen" and when they note that it is out of ink, I would apologize and watch as their pen problem deepens.
Ooh, that gives me an evil idea! Next time my pen explodes in flight, instead of throwing it out I will put the cap back on and store it in my bag. When someone presumes to ask to borrow a pen, I'll give them the busted pen. Then, not only will they not be able to fill out their form, they'll have ink all over their fingers and possibly clothes, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.