Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You are grossly wrong, and should be embarrassed.

I am such a gentleman that I travel with a Montblanc given to me by my great grandfather who died on the beaches at Normandy, and I shall not be hand it out to an amateur traveler, who is allegedly an adult and who lacks the foresight to have a writing implement on their person when traveling.

You may think a pen is a minor thing, but to many it is not.
Using material belongings as proof of being a gentleman reminds me of this quote by Raymond Chandler:
At The Dancers they get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond

I am such a gentleman that I travel with a Montblanc given to me by my great grandfather who died on the beaches at Normandy, and I shall not be hand it out to an amateur traveler, who is allegedly an adult and who lacks the foresight to have a writing implement on their person when traveling.

Stop with the ........ already. Among other demeaning comments toward your fellow travelers, you said this:
"I am going to start carrying a pen without ink around, just to teach these fools a lesson in how to travel."
Such a gentleman.
DeepUnderground likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Using material belongings as proof of being a gentleman reminds me of this quote by Raymond Chandler:
And this one, by Alexander Pope: “Worth makes the man, and want of it the fellow; The rest is all but leather and prunello.” (And Mont Blanc pens.)
Old Sep 30, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
How do prunes fit into this thread ?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:59 pm

Sorry I'm late to this party, and I've read some of the posts but not all.

On one hand, the OP's neighbor was socially awkward in outright saying no to the request without at least following up with one or two sentences to explain why ("sorry, I've lost too many pens this way and this is my only one").

On the other hand, OP should never take for granted that what seems like a simple favor to him is not inconveniencing to someone else.

In the world that I live in, if you lend a pen to someone, there's a 1/4 chance you won't get it back unless you go back and remind him/her. And when you do that, there's a 1/3 chance that that person will display some type of body language or tone that makes it obvious he/she is wondering how petty I am to go so far as to demand back a mere pen. So then it makes you feel like a jerk. If it's a gel pen, there's a 20% chance that the person will treat it with reckless force as if it's a bad ballpoint pen and thus it ends up making you wonder if the pen tip is still okay. In such situation, there's a 1/3 chance that the pen you get back will indeed never write the same.

I don't carry around a Mont Blanc, but a $1.50 gel pain is still nice and I usually only have one pen on me. If someone asks, I will lend it every time. But not enthusiastically, if it's to a stranger. I know that many others feel the same way deep down. So whenever you have to ask a stranger for favor, always recognize that you're potentially inconveniencing the other person. Don't take things for granted.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catcher1
Stop with the ........ already. Among other demeaning comments toward your fellow travelers, you said this:
"I am going to start carrying a pen without ink around, just to teach these fools a lesson in how to travel."
Such a gentleman.
A gentlemen doesn't suffer fools and punishes impudence.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:51 am

You and I have different definitions of gentleman. I prefer this one:

“A gentleman by definition is a man who makes everyone around him feel comfortable. Arrogance whom would only think of himself without considering the needs of others is the opposite of a gentleman."
― Oliver Oyanadel, The Fruit of the Knowledge of Good & Evil
Nick Art likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:48 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)

Originally Posted by Robert Smith Surtees
The only infallible rule we know is, that the man who is always talking about being a gentleman never is one.
Also quite fitting for this thread:
Originally Posted by Richard Heber
No gentleman can be without three copies of a book: one for show, one for use, and one for borrowers.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
You people still fill out forms? With PENS? How quaint! Can't this all be done with a tap on your phone?

What's next? Paper boarding passes? A pocket full of cash? A buggy whip for your horse?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by catcher1
As a factual matter, and not subject to determination by you or anyone else, a request by a fellow traveler to borrow a pen for a few minutes, to fill out travel forms, is hardly more than "minor." You, sir, are not a gentleman in my view.
Fortunately for all, your view is not definitive.

As a factual matter, the borrowing of a very expensive, easily-damaged pen is far from a trivial matter.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
A gentleman is never unintentionally rude.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Time to end this conversation.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
kaffir76 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.