Wiki Posts
Search

Do you mind if I borrow your pen?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jinkssick
Okay, I am sure this has been brought up on here before and I know many people will give me a lot of stick but here goes.

On a domestic economy flight in the US we were asked to fill it an arrivals form, cannot remember the exact flight but it was a 3 hour flight. Me and my wife had a pen in a bag (as we all do) but the plane was so full our bags were taken from overhead and placed a few seats ahead to accommodate people with larger bags.

I asked the gentleman next to me ''Do you mind if I borrow your pen please?". He abruptly said "Yes I do" in a harsh tone. I literally chuckled out loud as I couldnt believe someone would not do a simple favour to borrow a pen. Its not like I would not return it as he was window seat and I suppose my sentence shouldnt have started with "Do you mind...". But I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".

I know we as humans are not all the same, I get that, but I have gone out of my way to store heavy luggage for pregnant, elderly, disabled. Lent pens, paper, newspapers during my travels, its no skin off my nose just that scenario ended up being my most awkward moment for remaining journey and felt like I was sat next to someone with measles/cholera.

Maybe someone here will label me as acting 'entitled' but I can assure I maybe many things but not that.
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There are no "arrivals" form(s) to fill out on a domestic US flight.
Your post doesn't make a lot of sense.
Are you sure you're not confusing it with an international one - when you need to complete a customs declaration?
Just a guess, but perhaps Hawaii where you have to (or at least you used to) fill out an agriculture form?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
I usually travel with four other guys, and I usually carry about a dozen pen in my purse.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Just a guess, but perhaps Hawaii where you have to (or at least you used to) fill out an agriculture form?
You still do.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jinkssick
Okay, I am sure this has been brought up on here before and I know many people will give me a lot of stick but here goes.

On a domestic economy flight in the US we were asked to fill it an arrivals form, cannot remember the exact flight but it was a 3 hour flight. Me and my wife had a pen in a bag (as we all do) but the plane was so full our bags were taken from overhead and placed a few seats ahead to accommodate people with larger bags.

I asked the gentleman next to me ''Do you mind if I borrow your pen please?". He abruptly said "Yes I do" in a harsh tone. I literally chuckled out loud as I couldnt believe someone would not do a simple favour to borrow a pen. Its not like I would not return it as he was window seat and I suppose my sentence shouldnt have started with "Do you mind...". But I just looked at my wife in disbelief and loud enough for him to hear said ''Who wouldnt let someone a pen!".

I know we as humans are not all the same, I get that, but I have gone out of my way to store heavy luggage for pregnant, elderly, disabled. Lent pens, paper, newspapers during my travels, its no skin off my nose just that scenario ended up being my most awkward moment for remaining journey and felt like I was sat next to someone with measles/cholera.

Maybe someone here will label me as acting 'entitled' but I can assure I maybe many things but not that.
If I pull out my Montblanc or other expensive fountain pen, sorry you aren't borrowing it. Call me rude, I'll survive.
tentseller likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The passenger doesn't want to lend you his pen so you came to tattle on him?

Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
If I pull out my Montblanc or other expensive fountain pen, sorry you aren't borrowing it. Call me rude, I'll survive.
Edit: I might notice and compliment you on it, so watch out! No issues traveling with an fountain pen (expansion or leaking)? I have cheap ones (vintage Schaeffers and a Pilot) but travel with a ballpoint.
lhrsfo likes this.

Last edited by Gig103; Sep 6, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:31 pm

I will not lend out my space pen but I will loan out a cheap pen since I have loaned and lost one space pen.

Flight attendants have always offered pens for any form to fill out during the flight for customs.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jburns513
Please consider that he may have only been carrying a “nice” and valuable pen. In my pocket I usually have a Mont Blanc pen I have used for 29 years. Once at a trade show I lent it to another agents’ customer, who walked off with it after writing her order. After my associate’s urgent cellphone call I got it back, but I don’t hand it out anymore.
I usually have a fountain pen. Since if it is not used correctly, someone can easily damage the nib, I prefer not to lend it.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:58 pm
Suspended

I am on the pen owner's side. He has no obligation to give you his things, and you placing your bags away is not his problem or concern. You knew you had a pen somewhere, just go get it. People are allowed to say no to your requests.

And arrivals form on a domestic flight?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
The passenger doesn't want to lend you his pen so you came to tattle on him?

Edit: I might notice and compliment you on it, so watch out! No issues traveling with an fountain pen (expansion or leaking)? I have cheap ones (vintage Schaeffers and a Pilot) but travel with a ballpoint.
I've never had one leak, but I'm always cautious when I open one!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Surprisingly, nobody has accused the OP of panhandling.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I sincerely hope that the next time OP gets a new phone, some bum comes by and asks if he can make a phone call, then proceeds to drop the phone and shatter the screen and walks away.

Or better yet the next time he gets a new car, some ...... relative comes by and asks for a test drive but proceeds to crash it and refuses to pay up. When pushed, the answer should be: ''Who wouldn't let someone borrow their car!" among your extended family.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:44 pm

Why don't the FAs just hand out pens? Flying into HND from HKG a couple months ago I noticed the FAs had a bundle of pens they carried with landing forms they handed out to passengers. Those pens also had the nice ANA branding on them so I asked for one even though I knew full well I had a working poem in my bag! Seems like a marketing opportunity missed!

Safe Travels,

James
obscure2k likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by catcher1
Surprisingly, nobody has accused the OP of panhandling.
Nevertheless, someone wanted to charge him with Attempted Penhandling.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve loaned lots of pens, as well as asked for pens if mine are in my bag in the bin. Like anything, it’s a request, so if they can’t help out, you find someone else. Not a big deal.

Unless someone threw a drink in my face, or something really egregious, I’m not going to create a thread on FT about it.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Why don't the FAs just hand out pens? Flying into HND from HKG a couple months ago I noticed the FAs had a bundle of pens they carried with landing forms they handed out to passengers. Those pens also had the nice ANA branding on them so I asked for one even though I knew full well I had a working poem in my bag! Seems like a marketing opportunity missed!

Safe Travels,

James
More likely a revenue opportunity. $10 per pen for people too dumb not to bring one. Great profit margin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.