FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What would you do in an emergency evacuation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1886751-what-would-you-do-emergency-evacuation.html)

LTBoston Jan 9, 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 29267183)

And not a single person that I've read has advocated for indiscriminately pausing to remove luggage. It's about understanding the situation and reacting appropriately.

People DON'T understand the situation because they often do not have full visibility into everything that is going on outside of their immediate viewpoint. They have no basis for making the judgment as to what is or is not an "appropriate" reaction.

kb9522 Jan 9, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston (Post 29270741)
People DON'T understand the situation because they often do not have full visibility into everything that is going on outside of their immediate viewpoint. They have no basis for making the judgment as to what is or is not an "appropriate" reaction.

You do if all the information is provided. What you're talking about is a completely separate issue - and that is airline personnel (pilots, FAs) not providing all of the relevant information. That likely breeds a lot of the skepticism you see here.

ajGoes Jan 9, 2018 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 29271033)
You do if all the information is provided. What you're talking about is a completely separate issue - and that is airline personnel (pilots, FAs) not providing all of the relevant information. That likely breeds a lot of the skepticism you see here.

A captain who orders an evacuation has provided 100% of the information you need.

kb9522 Jan 9, 2018 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes (Post 29271047)
A captain who orders an evacuation has provided 100% of the information you need.

Not even remotely. And not providing that information may cause unnecessary panic... for evidence of this, see the posts in this thread threatening to physically harm those who move slower than the post or who try to evacuate their pet.

LTBoston Jan 9, 2018 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 29271033)

Just get off the plane if you're told to get off the plane. It's not your role to be the arbiter of whether the information is complete or relevant, nor is it your role to selectively and unilaterally decide what instructions to disregard.

And not providing that information may cause unnecessary panic... for evidence of this, see the posts in this thread threatening to physically harm those who move slower than the post or who try to evacuate their pet.
See my comment above. If everyone evacuates promptly as instructed, there wouldn't be unnecessary panic. It's people who believe they can pick and choose whether to follow an evacuation order who create the panic.

kb9522 Jan 9, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston (Post 29271324)
Just get off the plane if you're told to get off the plane. It's not your role to be the arbiter of whether the information is complete or relevant, nor is it your role to selectively and unilaterally decide what instructions to disregard.

See my comment above. If everyone evacuates promptly as instructed, there wouldn't be unnecessary panic. It's people who believe they can pick and choose whether to follow an evacuation order who create the panic.

Of course I will get off the plane. The question is whether or not the situation permits me to remove my carry on before I do. In the some cases the answer to that question is yes. If you want to panic and lose your mind indiscriminately, that's your perogative. Keeping a calm and level head is mine.

LTBoston Jan 9, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522 (Post 29271600)

Of course I will get off the plane. The question is whether or not the situation permits me to remove my carry on before I do. In the some cases the answer to that question is yes. If you want to panic and lose your mind indiscriminately, that's your perogative. Keeping a calm and level head is mine.

It is not your prerogative to determine what the "situation permits."

I can't believe this is even a debate.

slawecki Jan 9, 2018 3:04 pm

i would grab my wife and go. if there were .......s trying to get luggage or anything else , i would attempt to bull over them and keep going. from the start, i would shout GO GO GO...just like in the movies. any idiot trying to assemble luggage, knock him back in the seats. i would try to help the women and children....... not fat guys i have never had an emergency exit, and hope i never do.

pinniped Jan 9, 2018 3:23 pm

Add me to those who can't believe this is a serious discussion. Just exit the plane without pissing around with your bags.

When we land, I have my phone, wallet, and passport on my person. That's all I really need. My coat is in the overhead bin, so it is possible that I might get a little chilly on the tarmac. I'm not going to jack around looking for my coat...I'm just getting off the plane. If I'm in coach, there's a good chance I'm in the exit row, so I might be the one opening the door. Not going to waste even five seconds focusing on other things.

Definitely not going to try to judge right then whether I think a fire *will* break out. I'm going to get out, and hope that when we're all off the plane we can look back and it was one of those nosewheel incidents where they *didn't* lose the whole airplane.

kb9522 Jan 9, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 29271741)
i would grab my wife and go. if there were .......s trying to get luggage or anything else , i would attempt to bull over them and keep going. from the start, i would shout GO GO GO...just like in the movies. any idiot trying to assemble luggage, knock him back in the seats. i would try to help the women and children....... not fat guys i have never had an emergency exit, and hope i never do.

Did you do the same thing for fire drills in elementary school? :rolleyes:

Badenoch Jan 9, 2018 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston (Post 29271716)
It is not your prerogative to determine what the "situation permits."

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Sure it's his prerogative to determine what the situation permits. It is also our prerogative to take whatever actions are necessary to ensure an emergency evacuation is not impeded by another passenger pausing to retrieve his/her personal effects. I am prepared to exercise my prerogative as required.

Kevin AA Jan 9, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis (Post 29270206)
Yes hindsight may be 20/20 but hindsight is not relevant. The issue is not what the crew should have done. The issue is what passengers did when told to EVACUATE. There are NO CIRCUMSTANCES under which anyone should be carrying anything off the plane when an order to EVACUATE is given by the pilot. It is this idea that someone can second guess a situation and make their own decision as to the seriousness and how much time they have, that is the problem.

Again, I say that anyone getting off with stuff during an evacuation should be charged with a crime such as 'criminal negligence'. Seeing a few people charged and imprisoned will soon have people realizing that their carry-on luggage stays in the overhead bin or they can expect a stay in prison. It's not all that long ago that people thought it was OK to drink and drive. Only starting to impose fines, license suspensions, vehicle inpoundments and prison time got the public to change their perception. Today we have the same issue playing out yet again with distracted driving. Equally, this issue of stopping to get stuff out of an overhead bin is yet another case of the same kind of inappropriate behaviour that some individuals will continue to do to the detriment of others until it becomes socially unacceptable to do so as well as harshly enough punished.

Take another look a this thread. The discussion is all about about should someone carry things off or not. It should ONLY be about what should happen to those who do carry things off. It's the same as discussing should someone drink and drive. Really? That's what we need to discuss? We don't all know the answer to that already?

The question of whether someone should carry anything off is NOT open to discussion at all. As with ships at sea, the airplane Captain's word is LAW. That means if he ORDERS an evacuation, you are required by law to obey that order and equally if he orders you to deplane without your stuff, you are legally required to obey that order. Doing otherwise and possibly (only possibly is required by law by the way) endangering the lives of others puts you in the position of committing a criminal offense. There's no ambiguity about that because someone thinks they can second guess how much of an emergency actually exists.

Media attention and public outrage should be focused on WHY these people are not being charged with an offense and punished if found guilty.

+1

federal criminal charges, and for those who are visiting (like many in the Asiana Airlines crash), deportation following release from jail and a lifetime ban. We don't need more morons in this country.

LarryJ Jan 9, 2018 4:20 pm

20/20 hindsight is not particularly helpful at the time that the decision has to be made.

If the evacuation proves to have been unnecessary, your carry on items that are left behind will be fine and will be returned to you.

If it turns out that everyone does not have time to evacuate safely, the delays caused by passengers retrieving carry on items can result in fewer passengers surviving.

kb9522 Jan 9, 2018 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 29272031)
20/20 hindsight is not particularly helpful at the time that the decision has to be made.

If the evacuation proves to have been unnecessary, your carry on items that are left behind will be fine and will be returned to you.

If it turns out that everyone does not have time to evacuate safely, the delays caused by passengers retrieving carry on items can result in fewer passengers surviving.

The first reasonable point in this thread from the "leave things behind" camp.

That said, who knows what the timeline for getting your carry on back might be in such a event. I'm guessing if anyone has an idea, you might. My guess is that it's probably one of the lowest priorities.

tjl Jan 9, 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 29260729)
If you need anything that badly it should be on your person. My wallet, phone, passport (if travelling internationally) are in my pockets during the flight.

Yes, agree that essentials should be on you so that you will not have to cause delay getting them if an evacuation occurs.