FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What would you do in an emergency evacuation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1886751-what-would-you-do-emergency-evacuation.html)

KDS777 Jan 7, 2018 1:06 pm

I never travel with anything in my carry on that is not expendable in this scenario.

Gotta love cargo pants.

Having said that, in a serious incident like a real crash, not a minor taxiway shunt like this, I'm not past pushing a kettle or three out of the way when they act stupid.

Pprune has a good read about it. There was no fire on the Westjet aircraft, and that it was the APU in the tail of the empty Sunwing plane burning. Yet, it's like the MSM fake news industry on both sides of the border, have made it out to be major incident.

It's clearly obvious from the video on the Pprune site, and even the pax filming it says............"it's not our plane on fire".

The Westjet crew clearly panicked, broke their own rules (remember safety briefings about not opening the emergency exit if you see fire ???) and dumped the entire pax load onto the tarmac in winter, where it could have been worse if the Sunwing plane had more serious issues.

I realize hindsight is 20/20, but all the crew had to do, and should have done, was maintain control of their situational awareness, ensure that they were was a clear way away from the Sunwing aircraft, and move a bit then wait for emergency services.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...n-airport.html

danielonn Jan 7, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mysterym (Post 29262017)
I might have to think about retrieving my jacket from the overhead bin before landing so I have it with me. I would not try to grab my bag from there but may grab my bag at my feet that has enough to get me through a day/night of being stranded. I would have no problem shoving folks out of the way trying to retrieve their bags from the overhead bins. Each scenario may vary.

For me I dress appropriately to my flight so if its winter I am wearing warm clothes and in the summer short sleeve shirts and shorts. The last thing I would be doing is looking for my jacket with other people's items in the bins. 90 seconds is all I have to evacuate and you can be sure I would be getting out as quick as possible.

If I am cold and I survive then so be it but if I die and I have my jacket on then whats the point?

Besides who can guarantee the mechanism of the overhead bins would be operable after an accident?

danielonn Jan 7, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29262239)
I never travel with anything in my carry on that is not expendable in this scenario.

Gotta love cargo pants.

The best purchase I made was at Costco for comfortable Cargo Pants with a plastic belt that is comfortable and versatile. You can zip it for shorts or wear it like pants. I always layer on a plane and remove it as necessary.

Toshbaf Jan 7, 2018 1:21 pm

I posted about taking my luggage because there's a small chance that I'd do that. I'm not stupid and would leave it behind in many cases.

If there's smoke in the cabin, no way am I standing up. Ditto if there if fire outside or pouring smoke. There wouldn't be too many cases where they inflate the slides but it's not too major. Some examples, include

Southwest Airlines 737 nose wheel collapses at LGA. Slides deployed. No fire or smoke. Why not save your luggage?
Southwest Airlines 737 overrun accident at BUR. Slides deployed. No fire or smoke.

On the other hand, I would run for my life when

Black smoke pouring out of an engine of a British Airways 777 at LAS.
Fuselage broken open and flames in the cabin of an Air France A340 after a rough landing and overrun of the runway at YYZ.

No airline wants to say it's ok to get luggage for legal reasons. I would err on the side of leaving luggage if not sure.

Badenoch Jan 7, 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 29262301)
I posted about taking my luggage because there's a small chance that I'd do that. I'm not stupid and would leave it behind in many cases.

If there's smoke in the cabin, no way am I standing up. Ditto if there if fire outside or pouring smoke. There wouldn't be too many cases where they inflate the slides but it's not too major. Some examples, include

Southwest Airlines 737 nose wheel collapses at LGA. Slides deployed. No fire or smoke. Why not save your luggage?
Southwest Airlines 737 overrun accident at BUR. Slides deployed. No fire or smoke.

On the other hand, I would run for my life when

Black smoke pouring out of an engine of a British Airways 777 at LAS.
Fuselage broken open and flames in the cabin of an Air France A340 after a rough landing and overrun of the runway at YYZ.

No airline wants to say it's ok to get luggage for legal reasons. I would err on the side of leaving luggage if not sure.

You don't get to decide what is serious or not in the moment. If the order to evacuate is given follow it. You will not delay my departure pissing around with your stuff. You will be moved aside.

Loren Pechtel Jan 7, 2018 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 29261500)
Certainly it is your prerogative to risk a gruesome death by fire in an attempt to retrieve your expensive stuff. Don't expect me to do the same while you gather your possessions. You will be moved aside using whatever force is required.

The issue was when there isn't an obvious imminent threat.

If the plane's on fire, of course you just run for it.

Toshbaf Jan 7, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 29262393)
You don't get to decide what is serious or not in the moment. If the order to evacuate is given follow it. You will not delay my departure pissing around with your stuff. You will be moved aside.

How about the next time someone is slow in boarding? Push them aside! Ha ha ha (actually don't). The problem is a fist fight between passengers would delay evacuation more.

If there were smoke or flames outside, I'd yell to the people ahead of me "go go go go go". It's like when there's an emergency siren in the street. Cars pull over faster when the police announce by bullhorn "pull over to the side". I would guess that the vast majority of the time when slides are deployed, it is time to run out as fast as possible. That hasn't happened to me before. I have been on a flight where passengers deplaned but were told they can leave their luggage inside. I usually ignore them and take my luggage.

spades097 Jan 7, 2018 2:04 pm

Some of you need to be reminded that you do not get to make the determination whether or not an emergency exists and the seriousness of the event. You didn't get to decide it yesterday, today, and you won't decide it tomorrow either. You need to repeat over and over again until it sinks in: "I am not in charge while on board an aircraft. I am not in charge while on board an aircraft."

Toshbaf Jan 7, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch (Post 29262393)

Oops, so sorry my luggage smashed against your head.:D Since you're injured, why prolong life? Just check into hospice. Some will take you even if you don't have a terminal illness.

tentseller Jan 7, 2018 2:12 pm

Writing this from Toronto Jan 7/17: I would probably just grab my coat and nothing else.

What use are your medications to you if you are dead?

KDS777 Jan 7, 2018 2:13 pm

And you can most likely and very easily get some replacement meds from EMS wherever you are.

Toshbaf Jan 7, 2018 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by spades097 (Post 29262475)
You need to repeat over and over again until it sinks in: "I am not in charge while on board an aircraft. I am not in charge while on board an aircraft."

Flight attendants love that! Interference with a crew when you ask them a question they don't like!

Someone sitting in your seat? Act like sheep or get arrested for interference with a crew member!

Toshbaf Jan 7, 2018 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29262504)
And you can most likely and very easily get some replacement meds from EMS wherever you are.

That is not true.

But the point is well taken. If there is an evacuation, the default should be to run like a bat out of hell. I would usually do that. Only in rare circumstances where there's no real danger would I get my luggage.

KDS777 Jan 7, 2018 2:18 pm

I am going to disagree, because, I travel with meds (a non-serious type) and the normal amount of time before you are required to take another dose, and the ramfications of missing one, is going to be the mitigating factor.

If you are flying in the first world, or even in many third world locations as I have, and you have such a "rare and unobtainable prescription" that it cannot be filled in an "emergency situation" within 48 hours, or you will die, you should not be flying.

tatterdema Jan 7, 2018 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777 (Post 29262524)
I am going to disagree, because, within the normal amount of time you are required to take another dose, is going to be the mitigating factor.

If you are flying in the first world, or even in many third world locations as I have, and you have such a "rare and unobtainable prescription" that it cannot be filled in an "emergency situation" within 48 hours, or you will die, you should not be flying.

Sadly there are meds like that. My moms parkinson meds had to be taken within 15 minutes of every 4 hours or a snowball effect starts, that very well could be life threatening. When I traveled with her, those meds were in my toiletry bag stored under my arm rest. Those meds went everywhere with her, even to the hospital emergency room, where it could take 24 hours or more to get them from the pharmacy. It is a pretty rare and expensive medication that no pharmacy I know of carries in stock.

But anyone with such needs should be prepared for that, not limit their activities. I can do without my meds, but I still keep them within reach at all times while on a plane.

I am always amused at people shivering in the Seattle airport waiting for their plane to Hawaii or Mexico, dressed in shorts and tank tops, wearing flip flops. Lol, I wear normal clothes and change at the arriving airport from my carryon while waiting for my checked luggage.