FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What would you do in an emergency evacuation? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1886751-what-would-you-do-emergency-evacuation.html)

PTravel Jan 6, 2018 9:50 pm

What would you do in an emergency evacuation?

At Pearson airport today, two jets collided when one being towed hit another that was waiting for a gate. A fire broke out when spilled jet fuel ignited. When smoke started to fill the cabin of the waiting jet, the captain ordered an evacuation -- emergency exits were open and slides were deployed. And the evacuation was slowed by people trying to get their carry-on luggage. Fortunately, no injuries occurred.

If had been a passenger on that plane, I would follow crew member instructions, help children, elderly and disabled pax as best as I could, and throw anyone holding up the process by trying to get their carry-ons out of the way and, if necessary, I'd go right over them. Human lives are worth far more than some fool's possessions.

What would you do?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.94f3035cd0a1

JamesBigglesworth Jan 6, 2018 10:11 pm

If it is in Amerikaland then I'd scream loudly and say things like "Oh my god!" at least twenty times in a row because apparently that helps.

Otherwise, it's nearest exit and out.

People stopping to get luggage are to be helped by stopping to beat them senseless: if you're going to die because of the stupidity of someone else then you may as well die somewhat avenged. Not my job to help others - if US carriers are going to spout the "we're here for your safety" then they can damn well do their job and look after the bottom of the survival bell curve.

abmj-jr Jan 6, 2018 10:13 pm

Being a retired LEO, I'd probably react like one. I don't think I'd be assaulting people as you suggest but one never knows what might be required.

It might be well to remember that some folks have an absolute need for some of what might be in a carry-on. At my advanced age, I will need my meds in the next 24 hours. For that reason, I keep them and a few other essentials in a small zipper bag in an outside pocket of my back-pack, which is under the seat in front of me. There would be no need, or excuse, to retrieve anything from the overhead bin but I would definitely grab that zipper bag and a coat (if it is cold) as I lined up for the exit. Try to stop me from doing that and you might be the one being "thrown out of the way."

spades097 Jan 6, 2018 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth (Post 29260019)
If it is in Amerikaland then I'd scream loudly and say things like "Oh my god!" at least twenty times in a row because apparently that helps.

Otherwise, it's nearest exit and out.

People stopping to get luggage are to be helped by stopping to beat them senseless: if you're going to die because of the stupidity of someone else then you may as well die somewhat avenged. Not my job to help others - if US carriers are going to spout the "we're here for your safety" then they can damn well do their job and look after the bottom of the survival bell curve.

Yes, because people freaking out during an emergency is unique in America. Please enlighten us with all of your experience evacuating aircraft.

Annalisa12 Jan 6, 2018 10:27 pm

Nobody knows what they'd do in an emergency situation.

Toshbaf Jan 6, 2018 10:56 pm

I'll admit that if there were an evacuation, I would consider taking my luggage. It depends if it were an evacuation for legal reasons or a dire emergency. Dire emergency, like the Asiana 777 crash at SFO or US 1549 in the Hudson River, I'd run for my life. If it seems somewhat precautionary, I'd take my luggage because it could be a fight for reimbursement or things that are hard to replace may be lost.

Lately, I've been wearing my coat before landing if the weather is very cold and I put some harder to replace things in my pockets, like the phone, keys, ID, and credit cards.

I also ask that the passenger in the window seat open the shades on landing at least half way so one can see if there's fire on that side. Only once did the passenger refuse. She was militant and probably felt she was a lifelong victim of discrimination so she had to insist on her way.

kb9522 Jan 6, 2018 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Toshbaf (Post 29260124)
I also ask that the passenger in the window seat open the shades on landing at least half way so one can see if there's fire on that side. Only once did the passenger refuse. She was militant and probably felt she was a lifelong victim of discrimination so she had to insist on her way.

Or maybe she thought you were nuts. You get worried about fires every time you land? :confused:

In any case, window seat gets control of the window... them's the breaks.

Re: the OP... I would also consider grabbing my carry on depending on the situation. The only people who need to be "beaten senseless" are the emotional train wrecks who can't deal with a little stress.

FirstInFlight Jan 7, 2018 12:13 am

Remember that in an actual emergency evacuation the goal is to the off the plane. If someone stops and blocks the aisle getting a bag they create an obstruction. If you decide to fight with them you create a second obstruction

In an actual emergency you do not have time to argue or fight. Get out. Squeeze past the idiots (those worried about luggage and those consumed with the need to confront) or climb over seat backs - but get.

Do not stand at the exit trying to help others and thereby creating an obstruction - get out. If you want to help do so at the bottom of the slide (depending on the aircraft and the circumstances there may be several injuries). Otherwise - get out and get away from the aircraft.

T2A Jan 7, 2018 12:47 am

Flight attendants are trying to get the plane fully evacuated in 90 seconds. The few seconds someone takes to grab their bag could be the difference between life and death for them or a fellow passenger. In any situation involving fire I'm getting off that aircraft as fast as possible while helping as many others as I can along the way. I'd have no problem climbing over someone trying to get their baggage off the plane.

tatterdema Jan 7, 2018 4:02 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr (Post 29260025)
Being a retired LEO, I'd probably react like one. I don't think I'd be assaulting people as you suggest but one never knows what might be required.

It might be well to remember that some folks have an absolute need for some of what might be in a carry-on. At my advanced age, I will need my meds in the next 24 hours. For that reason, I keep them and a few other essentials in a small zipper bag in an outside pocket of my back-pack, which is under the seat in front of me. There would be no need, or excuse, to retrieve anything from the overhead bin but I would definitely grab that zipper bag and a coat (if it is cold) as I lined up for the exit. Try to stop me from doing that and you might be the one being "thrown out of the way."

Ditto to the meds (passport, wallet, keys, etc). I keep a small toiletry type bag for that reason. Easy to carry, my wrist slips through the strap. Stores nicely under the arm rest.

Badenoch Jan 7, 2018 5:10 am

In the event of an evacuation the sole objective is GTFO as soon as possible. People ahead of me pausing to retrieve their luggage, coat or anything else will be moved either aside or forward. If you need anything that badly it should be on your person. My wallet, phone, passport (if travelling internationally) are in my pockets during the flight.

DIRECT MERIT Jan 7, 2018 5:43 am

I can't believe this is up for discussion. There is only one course of action to follow: obey crew member instructions and evacuate immediately on their command. If you need to travel with meds, make sure they're in your trouser pocket or otherwise immediately accessible. On a 90 second evacuation, every fraction of a second counts. It should also be mandatory for window shades to be up during take off and landing - again any time spent adjusting to darkness outside for a lit cabin is time wasted. Any passenger reaching for carry-on items is endangering lives and should be prosecuted as such.

WorldLux Jan 7, 2018 6:01 am

If it seems somewhat precautionary, I'd take my luggage because it could be a fight for reimbursement or things that are hard to replace may be lost.

That's what we need: Armchair passenger questioning the emergency level when the captain orders to evacuate ASAP and use the slides. They don't inflate the slides for fun. It would be great if there was a law saying "Anyone caught with a carry-on will be fined ten times the value of the carry-on and all of its content." In most cases I carry around valuables in my carry-on but at no point would I hesitate to leave everything behind in the airplane.

Everything but live and/or live changing injuries can be replaced.

Lately, I've been wearing my coat before landing if the weather is very cold and I put some harder to replace things in my pockets, like the phone, keys, ID, and credit cards.

​​​​​​​
Those are not hard to replace. It's annoying to get them replaced but it's not hard. Takes you a day's work to replace locks, phone, IDs and credit cards.

I also ask that the passenger in the window seat open the shades on landing at least half way so one can see if there's fire on that side. Only once did the passenger refuse. She was militant and probably felt she was a lifelong victim of discrimination so she had to insist on her way.[/QUOTE]

ChangingNappies Jan 7, 2018 6:12 am

Having all shades open, and for night flights dimming the cabin lights is a policy on a number of airlines.

Same for me. ID or passport & CC in my pocket. And shoes on.

nlkm9 Jan 7, 2018 7:10 am

I keep my essentials in a bag under my seat for that very reason, its moronic for people to be stopping and opening up overhead bins when theres an emergency. I do agree that those few seconds could mean life or death which is why I keep those items right next to me.