Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by closetasfan
#1 Vladivostok
#2 Mongolia
#3 Burma
Doing Burma this year. Top of my list had been the ancient sites of Syria but sadly no longer! Iran fascinates me for its extraordinary history and culture but, if I do that, apparently I would have all sorts of hassles going to the USA, so it will have to wait.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'd like to do something similar to Paul Theroux's trip in Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar.

By train across Europe to Istanbul, through the Caucasus into Iran and up into the ancient Silk Road sites of Central Asia. Either fly to India to continue by train into western China and go down through Tibet into Nepal. Hop to Southeast Asia down to Singapore, then turn around and head back north. Up through Thailand, across to Vietnam and back into China to Beijing, then across Russia by the Trans-Siberian Railway into Europe.

Similar to RohanDXB, but I'd simply fly over the hot spots like Afghanistan. As a US passport holder the most difficult (impossible?) part would be Iran, but if that was unsolvable I could just fly from Armenia or Azerbaijan to Turkmenistan.
That book was actually a major inspiration for my dream trip and my overall interest in the Silk Route (along with Dalrymple's 'In Xanadu')

Ro
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:35 am

Papua New Guinea
Mt.Kilimanjaro
Patagonia
Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela- following the "Motorcycle diaries route"- minus the motorcycle
return to Los Nevados NP Colombia
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Antarctica is really next on the bucket list. I have visited all the inhabited continents and am scraping the bottom of the barrel for new places to visit...

Outside of that I'd love to explore more of South Africa, and the train travel through Russia mentioned above seems really intriguing
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:16 am

Antarctica for me as well. It's about the only thing I can't make a huge dent in with points. I could get to South America, but everything else is on me. I hope to do in it the next 10 years for sure.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Antarctica is the only continent that I haven't been to and I really want to go. But the Galapagos are also at the top of my list. I'm hoping to do one of them in a few years for a milestone birthday with my then to-be 9 yo. Right now it is the same 4yo and $$$ as the reasons why I haven't been yet
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:09 am

One time around the world by train, ship, bus and car.

The plan is ready-made in the drawer. I just need to find 4-6 months of free time...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Russian train journey from Moscow to Vladivostok
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
St. Helena by air.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airsupply
Mt.Kilimanjaro
I've done this one and really liked it.

It's the highest summit in the world you can hike to.

The two that I would like to do is South America overland and the Everest base camp hike. Unfortunately, I consider the former unsafe and both out of the question for health reasons at this point.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I've done this one and really liked it.

It's the highest summit in the world you can hike to.

The two that I would like to do is South America overland and the Everest base camp hike. Unfortunately, I consider the former unsafe and both out of the question for health reasons at this point.
A friend of mine, a couple, went to Everest base camp hike last summer. Both are in mid 40s, the wife has to stay in the hospital for 1-2 days for altitude sickness.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I'd like to take a road trip from the north to the south of South America. i.e. Cartagena to Ushuaia. But avoiding the licence plates that Jeremy Clarkson chose.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 9Benua
A friend of mine, a couple, went to Everest base camp hike last summer. Both are in mid 40s, the wife has to stay in the hospital for 1-2 days for altitude sickness.
The altitude doesn't worry me. With much less acclimatization I've been higher. It's my allergies that are the limiting factor, not to mention my wife would neither be interested nor able to do a hike of this nature.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I'd like to hit all the capital cities of Australia in one trip.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:33 pm

Southeast Asia, Russia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.