Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The most interesting trip that you'd love to do someday

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Antarctica as a realistic option, space as a stretch/dream goal. Once the kids are away, this will be at the top of the list.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Buddhist monuments of India.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Antarctica. I was poised to go a few years ago, but couldn't find a travel companion who could swing both the cost (five figures at minimum) and the time off (three weeks, give or take). It's not in the budget right now, but I hope to get there within the next few years.

That's my husband's dream.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
Istanbul to Beijing overland passing thru Iran, Afghanistan and Khyber areas of Pakistan with a detour to Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan.
From Pakistan to Kashgar, China via the Khunjerab pass and then onward to Beijing.

From Beijing the return would be on the Trans-Mongolian, stopping off in Mongolia for a few days before heading toward Moscow then St Petergburg and the remaining legs on the domestic European trains concluding in Istanbul.

What's stopping me is mainly safety in several areas particularly in rural Pakistan (as an Indian passport holder). While it would require some financial outlay & a major time commitment, I can still justify all that if I could be assured of doing the trip completely & safely.

Ro
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'd like to do something similar to Paul Theroux's trip in Ghost Train to the Eastern Star: On the Tracks of the Great Railway Bazaar.

By train across Europe to Istanbul, through the Caucasus into Iran and up into the ancient Silk Road sites of Central Asia. Either fly to India to continue by train into western China and go down through Tibet into Nepal. Hop to Southeast Asia down to Singapore, then turn around and head back north. Up through Thailand, across to Vietnam and back into China to Beijing, then across Russia by the Trans-Siberian Railway into Europe.

Similar to RohanDXB, but I'd simply fly over the hot spots like Afghanistan. As a US passport holder the most difficult (impossible?) part would be Iran, but if that was unsolvable I could just fly from Armenia or Azerbaijan to Turkmenistan.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
I would like to travel through N. Korea. Political uncertainty and the ROK's insistence on minders controlling the tour turn me off.
DPRK, that is
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:46 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
DPRK, that is
Right - thank you!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
For this list I might as well say almost every trip over on the Trip Report forum, it bears a bit more thinking about though if I had to narrow it down to that one single thing.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:37 am

I've had the good fortune to have satisfied almost all of my dreams. I would still like to land travel the Darien Gap.

I desperately want to get back to Yemen too. But now isn't the time. Somalia had its elections yesterday; maybe a near-term return trip there.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Svalbard for polar bear watching. (I've already done Antarctica :-)
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Australia (Every time I mention to the Mrs., i get a link of all creatures waiting and ready to kill me on arrival.)

Africa

Korea-would really like to take day trip to the DMZ.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Sooner the Better

Since I'm a 'generic' traveler, I loved this thread. I would go about anywhere, and I have. Have been to Arctic and Antarctic several times. It truly is expensive, and it may get increasingly so as the regulations limit, even more, how many ships and pax can go. Do the trips sooner rather than later. I've been on many different lines, but the Lindblad/NatGeo are the number one best for getting you there, getting you IN there, and out, keeping you informed, and giving you all sorts of help with photography. I've never traveled without a Nat Geo photographer and several Lindblad ones. They are there for you, not themselves. You can get down to the front of the ship for viewing and photographing, which you cannot do on most, and they stop for marine life, where ever you might see them. It's not a cruise, no pool, no room service, nice rooms though. and they have singles.
Hugely expensive when you're doing the poles, but so worth it. On the first (10 day trip) to the Antarctica, I thought my husband was going to cry when we had to start packing to leave the ship. I laugh now, because we thought if would be the only time we went. Veterans will say to do one that includes South Georgia; you'll have to do it to find out why.
I have taken the trip from Bergen to Greenland, ending back at Svalbard, by way of northern Scotland, Faroes, and Iceland. THAT was a great trip! Went up the east coast of Greenland (seldom done).
Every place is of interest to me, but I don't always want to go back to the same place over again. Several go back on my bucket list after I visit them. Whale watching in Baja, Ireland, Bora Bora.
Good luck to all who may travel for a living, yet still have the curiosity and will to SEE and DO. About myself, I say "I just had to to get old" to get the time. I'll hope to say healthy, though I always carry travel health insurance. It's a cheap investment by the year. Best. T&L gal
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
#1 Vladivostok
#2 Mongolia
#3 Burma
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Mongol battlegrounds in Poland and Hungary
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:26 pm

I wish to do a journey from Atacama to southest of Patagonia (Punta Arenas and/or Ushuaia)
(not now, maybe in next 20 years if I live well, given the state of fire in both Chile forest fire and my wallet)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.