Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wish list:

Antarctica
Skiing in South America
Skiing in Europe
Skiing in New Zealand
French Polynesia
Safari in South Africa/Kenya
Northern Lights somewhere (Iceland, Norway, Finland, Alaska)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Doing Burma this year. Top of my list had been the ancient sites of Syria but sadly no longer! Iran fascinates me for its extraordinary history and culture but, if I do that, apparently I would have all sorts of hassles going to the USA, so it will have to wait.
Minor hassles only - you need to go get a visa, but it lasts 10 years. When I got to the front of the queue at the USA Embassy in London the lady at the counter (first American I had encountered in all the different queues) told me she would love to go to Iran. And flying into Boston a few weeks later the Immigration guy asked why I had a visa, looked at my Iran visa, and the visas for Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan & Kyrgyzstan (all on the same trip as Iran) and asked me if it was 'safe' travelling to those places! Probably safer than Miami!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
For those interested in the Trans-Siberian and DPRK, this is great read:

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Exec
I'm looking forward to a 'dream' trip later this year on the THV Patricia. THV = Trinity House Vessel. Trinity House is the body that looks after lighthouses, lightships and navigational buoys around the English coast. The Patricia is their ship for doing that job. It has 6 rather nice looking cabins and the promise of some decent food. So you get to spend a week (or two) looking on as ship and crew go about their work. You only get told where to go aboard about 10 days before, and you get dropped off in a different place. As close to a cruise as I want to get!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I plan on the Galapagos for my 50th. I was going to go on my 40th but was trying to get pregnant and had too many Dr. appointments to be able to get away.

Plus I really want to do Antarctica since it is the only continent I've never been too
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Antarctica
Svalbard
Tuktukpayok (not sure of the right spelling)
Central Asia
Ireland and Scotland
Bhutan
Alaska
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Wish list:

Antarctica
Skiing in South America
Skiing in Europe
Skiing in New Zealand
French Polynesia
Safari in South Africa/Kenya
Northern Lights somewhere (Iceland, Norway, Finland, Alaska)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Greenland
Iceland
Antarctica
Outstanding trips taken: Patagonia, Kenya/Tanzania, Burma (1986), Galapagos, Southern Ecuador, Florianopolis (Brazil), India, Nepal, Kashmir
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:55 am

I didn't want to go to Antartica until I read this thread, now it's nearing the top of my list . I was counting down to a RTW trip for my 50th, but now who knows.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
New trip for the list: cycling the Eurovelo 6 route across France.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
So many fantastic destinations in this thread.

For me, a big one on my wish list is the Dempster Highway, from Dawson City (Yukon Territory) up to Inuvik on the Arctic Ocean. Love this awesome trip report from long ago: http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article...th-2630944.php
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Priority Club (Platinum)
Originally Posted by RohanDXB
Afghanistan and Khyber areas of Pakistan with a detour to Turkmenistan & Uzbekistan.
From Pakistan to Kashgar, China via the Khunjerab pass and then onward to Beijing.
Originally Posted by jahason
Pakistan to China on Karakoram Highway.
I have driven the Karakoram highway from Pakistan to China in 1991 or 92, only got as far as Tashkurgan before a schedule conflict made us head back to Pakistan. The Karakoram highway was really neat but back then was slow going, 35 mph for most of it, just tough roads. Kinda crazy, as most of it was about 1.5 lanes of road, dug out of a mountain and fantastic scenery all around. Once we passed the Khunjerab pass, the scenery changed and was mostly grassland, with the odd two-humped camel wandering around (really!)

No one is getting younger, so if anyone can get the time off and the $$$, take these trips everyone wants to do!

Personally, I want to head to Africa and go a great Safari, stay in a wonderful lodge and watch elephants at sunset.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I occasionally find myself thinking about the Micronesia Island Hopper, but it's really just a romantic attraction to the route -- I don't actually want to go to the places on it.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by gobears293
So many fantastic destinations in this thread.

For me, a big one on my wish list is the Dempster Highway, from Dawson City (Yukon Territory) up to Inuvik on the Arctic Ocean. Love this awesome trip report from long ago: http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article...th-2630944.php
WOW, I am loving this idea. I recently took a solo road trip in the southeastern US, the first time in decades that I've done a good long jaunt like that, and I was loving it so much that I wanted to run out and buy a campervan to spend months on the road. The SFGate article really spoke to me. I love being in the middle of nowhere
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by iaflyer
I have driven the Karakoram highway from Pakistan to China in 1991 or 92, only got as far as Tashkurgan before a schedule conflict made us head back to Pakistan. The Karakoram highway was really neat but back then was slow going, 35 mph for most of it, just tough roads. Kinda crazy, as most of it was about 1.5 lanes of road, dug out of a mountain and fantastic scenery all around. Once we passed the Khunjerab pass, the scenery changed and was mostly grassland, with the odd two-humped camel wandering around (really!)

No one is getting younger, so if anyone can get the time off and the $$$, take these trips everyone wants to do!

Personally, I want to head to Africa and go a great Safari, stay in a wonderful lodge and watch elephants at sunset.
I already did the Karakoram Highway (only up to Tashkurgan) as well, in 2007. Stunning scenery and I can say Kashgar, Karakoram and Karakul combined are some of the best I've seen in China, and I've seen a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.