How to look less like an American when travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to look less like an American when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by will2288
I am perfectly happy looking like an American when I travel. Sure, there are places where you need/should dress in certain ways, but I'd say those are not the majority. I've never felt like a target or felt like I need to say I'm Canadian. I am happy to represent America, and think I generally do a good job.

There are some places where the fact that you are a tourist is clear, and also means you have a lot more money than the locals, but wearing muted colors won't make much of a difference.
This. I'm an American, no use trying to hide it. I do of course respect local custom - often more of a concern for Mrs. Lee when it comes to clothing. I feel like it's quite disrespectful to think others' are so dumb that wearing different clothes will mask where you're from in any substantial way when it actually matters.

Plus, I've found that as soon as I start actually interacting with people, it makes no difference other than some of the fun questions I sometimes get. So many people around the world are fascinated by the theatrics and (lack of) substance of US politics/elections.

Being genuinely kind, respectful, and interested in the place and people you are visiting says a hell of a lot more than whatever clothes you're wearing.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by gooselee
Being genuinely kind, respectful, and interested in the place and people you are visiting says a hell of a lot more than whatever clothes you're wearing.
I am far from experienced at international travel -- Mexico (1978, 1980); Japan (1986); misc Canada (1980-1990); France/Switzerland/UK (2004); Netherlands/Germany (2008), UK and Spain later this year -- but these are certainly wise words
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
This. I'm an American, no use trying to hide it. I do of course respect local custom - often more of a concern for Mrs. Lee when it comes to clothing. I feel like it's quite disrespectful to think others' are so dumb that wearing different clothes will mask where you're from in any substantial way when it actually matters.
My outlook is similar. In many places I travel around the world there's no hiding the fact that I'm a foreigner at least. My size and skin color are giveaways. I don't parade around the fact that I'm an American. A person who sees me on the street might wonder if I'm American, or Canadian, or British, or Australian.... Although I have been mistaken for many of these on occasion (including being thought Canadian in Canada and English in England!) the default assumption in other parts of the world for a person who looks like me seems to be "American".

I generally dress at least a half notch better than whatever I think the norm is. That's been true since I was a teen and is not a function of travel. In terms of travel, though, my appearance aside from my clothes still invites some odd reactions. On the negative side, I've been written off as a rube while wearing a business suit by people who equate "American" with "hayseed bumpkin". On the positive side, several times I've experienced complete strangers making earnest conversation with me because they wish to learn more about my country and to practice the language.

Through this all I see myself as an ambassador when I travel. To people in the cities I visit, I represent not only myself and my company (if on business) but also my country. I might as well show them that Americans can be intelligent, educated, thoughtful, considerate people!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I agree. This advice goes a long way.

And I recall the concern (hysteria?) about travel abroad by Americans after 9/11. The advice given then was to "look Canadian". I remember wearing my Roots sweatshirt a lot in Asia and my Asian friends telling me how transparently American it made me look. They had read the same advice. So...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I agree. This advice goes a long way.

And I recall the concern (hysteria?) about travel abroad by Americans after 9/11. The advice given then was to "look Canadian". I remember wearing my Roots sweatshirt a lot in Asia and my Asian friends telling me how transparently American it made me look. They had read the same advice. So...
I wish people wouldn't work to look Canadian. Few people look sillier than a Canadian (or an American trying to pass) festooned in red maple leafs looking like an autumn tree in Muskoka. Don't try saying "eh" either. I've yet to meet an American who could pull it off successfully.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I wish people wouldn't work to look Canadian. Few people look sillier than a Canadian (or an American trying to pass) festooned in red maple leafs looking like an autumn tree in Muskoka.
The trick to looking less like a stereotypical American is in understanding that it's about doing less, not more. Americans can be spotted by their clothing adorned with US flags, US slogans, and/or the logos of their favorite (US) sports team, beer, automobile, motorcycle, tractor, etc. Figuring, "Well, I'll try looking Canadian!" does not mean replacing these logos with Canadian brands and stitching a maple leaf onto one's shoulder bag. Looking less American means not looking like a walking billboard.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:36 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You are right, well I'd say probably 60-80% right that what drives up national average BMI is probably 60-80% explained by excess weight (or even more s observed on a short cruise I took a couple of months ago). I was referring to the potential faults of strictly measuring by BMI measured as mentioned by another poster.
On an individual basis, using BMI to measure body fat is inaccurate for those who are heavy with muscle.

On a population basis, BMI is an acceptable way to estimate the fatness of the population over the years, since the number of athletes and other highly muscular people is relatively small. However, different genetic backgrounds can mean that some populations are fatter on average for a given BMI than other populations, so caution must be used if comparing BMI between populations of different genetic backgrounds.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:45 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Question

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Feel free to believe what you want about shorts. Shorts seem to have a place and an AGE in other cultures.
What age in particular?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, I've found that as soon as I start actually interacting with people, it makes no difference other than some of the fun questions I sometimes get. So many people around the world are fascinated by the theatrics and (lack of) substance of US politics/elections.

Great post.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by carlosdca

Feel free to believe what you want about shorts. Shorts seem to have a place and an AGE in other cultures.:
No belief required. Just an observation from spending 300 days a year in this continent. It just hit 30*c (summer came late this year) and shorts are now in full swing
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I wish people wouldn't work to look Canadian. Few people look sillier than a Canadian (or an American trying to pass) festooned in red maple leafs looking like an autumn tree in Muskoka. Don't try saying "eh" either. I've yet to meet an American who could pull it off successfully.
But I've seen Strange Brew like, 17 times, eh!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by deniah
No belief required. Just an observation from spending 300 days a year in this continent. It just hit 30*c (summer came late this year) and shorts are now in full swing
Shorts (especially short shorts) on girls/women however are far more common in America than in any other country I've ever been to. It's like a summertime uniform it seems for American females..whereas in Europe you may see it occasionally but it's by no means the norm.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Shorts (especially short shorts) on girls/women however are far more common in America than in any other country I've ever been to. It's like a summertime uniform it seems for American females..whereas in Europe you may see it occasionally but it's by no means the norm.
My travel circuit is mostly limited to Shanghai, Beijing, Nanning, Hk, Shenzhen, and Macau.

Using Los Angeles as a reference marker, in my observation, only HK and Macau feature a smaller percentage of short shorts on ladies.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by moondog
My travel circuit is mostly limited to Shanghai, Beijing, Nanning, Hk, Shenzhen, and Macau.

Using Los Angeles as a reference marker, in my observation, only HK and Macau feature a smaller percentage of short shorts on ladies.
I avoid the orient so I cannot comment on the customs of those places.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
You know what really makes my European friends laugh about Americans' clothes? No, it's not the clothes we wear, but the fact that some Americans seem so obsessed and cowed by a bunch of often mythical European fashion "rules." For the most part, as long as you're not wearing shorts in an upscale restaurant or a tank top at a wedding, they simply don't get all hot and bothered about things like the color of our trousers or the style of our shoes.
I disagree, at least for the examples you've given. These are formal occasions so we will absolutely be judging you on what you're wearing. Especially at weddings. But for more casual occasions no one will care what you wear unless it's totally heinous (I'm including basketball attire in the heinous category).

But you shouldn't let it bother you. I agree that it's about confidence. As long as you're not causing offence. I wore a hat to a friend's wedding in Brooklyn. It was an expensive large hat (taking it on the plane was a nightmare) but that's what we do at weddings in England, especially for weddings of close friends/family. It was the talking point of the wedding and I think there are photos of every single guest wearing the hat at some point during the wedding. I was the only Brit (so only hat wearer) so it was certainly a way of breaking the ice with other guests. 15 years later and the bride still talks about the hat (she loved it). I knew what I was wearing would be different to other guests but my outfit wasn't going to cause offence nor be inappropriate. But maybe this is an example of the rule about dressing up rather than down? If in doubt, dress up. Definitely in Europe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.