How to look less like an American when travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to look less like an American when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
Executive summary: avoid [...] "fanny" packs.
Actually this is not universal. In some countries "fanny" packs or man purses are popular with locals. Many Americans on the other hand despise both and would not be caught dead with ether.

Overstuffed pants could be a giveaway in those situations.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:47 pm

Many Eastern European men wear their hair very short..and yeah I'd probably rather be thought of as an American than a Russian or Pole in terms of fashion.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:06 pm

The whole shorts thing was something I'd always been told was a no-no, but the first time I went to Europe, it was hot enough that I wasn't going to wander around in long pants. Turns out what I found was plenty of people wore shorts, and I'm relatively sure they couldn't *all* be americans. Even the churches were pretty lax about wearing pants - with some obvious exceptions. Mosques in Istanbul were pretty strict, and the St Peters was pretty strict (although they were allowing a lot of stuff in that didn't match their signs). On days when we'd planned on going into churches, we had some pants to slide on (I certainly wouldn't enter a mosque in shorts), but I know in Malta at the one church, the one guy at the entrance saw us off to the side working on getting pants out and just kinda laughed and told us to come in. (Course, it was also 104 out that day.)
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by piper28
On days when we'd planned on going into churches, we had some pants to slide on (I certainly wouldn't enter a mosque in shorts), but I know in Malta at the one church, the one guy at the entrance saw us off to the side working on getting pants out and just kinda laughed and told us to come in. (Course, it was also 104 out that day.)
I entered a Mosque in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina wearing shorts. I did, however check with guy issuing entrance tickets and his resposne was "Yeah, ofcourse." It was 68F, rainy day though.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I notice that I "fit in" more, (or "stand out" less) if I wear a lot of black when I travel in Europe. My travel wardrobe is now nearly all black and grey, with a couple of misc. colored tee shirts or what not. The flashy, splashy California colors that make up a lot of my wardrobe just seem out of place, especially since I'm not passing as a study abroad student. I have noticed that the fashionistas in Europe tend to be more in the fashionable cities... London, Milan, Florence. In Florence, boots and top end clothing are the norm. Everyone looks terrific-- like they stepped out of a magazine. But, I travel off the beaten path, and saw plenty of casual clothes in the hinterlands- the farming villages and small towns of Italy.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by TObject
Actually this is not universal. In some countries "fanny" packs or man purses are popular with locals. Many Americans on the other hand despise both and would not be caught dead with ether.
I would think fanny packs and man purses are very different things. In fact a man purse might be a very definite "not American" article.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I was taking a walk in an Ohio state park when I saw a group of people ahead of me. I was immediately certain they were European, and guessed Swiss, without hearing them talk. They were too carefully dressed in "outdoorsy" attire to be natives.

Sure enough, as we got closer, I could hear them speaking German.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: Independent
Maybe i am visiting a different country? If anything, from what I have seen Americans dress downright dowdy. Every time I have been abroad, everyone is wearing glowing neon football shirts and brightly colored sneakers. Matching of course, which might be the telltale.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I have noticed that the fashionistas in Europe tend to be more in the fashionable cities... London, Milan, Florence. In Florence, boots and top end clothing are the norm. Everyone looks terrific-- like they stepped out of a magazine. But, I travel off the beaten path, and saw plenty of casual clothes in the hinterlands- the farming villages and small towns of Italy.
Very good point. You go to Paris and people look like their clothes are chosen by a wardrobe consultant, but you get a couple hours away from the big city and into the smaller French burgs, and they start looking a lot more like your average suburban or small town North Americans.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Very good point. You go to Paris and people look like their clothes are chosen by a wardrobe consultant, but you get a couple hours away from the big city and into the smaller French burgs, and they start looking a lot more like your average suburban or small town North Americans.
And that is the same thing here. Easy to tell when someone comes from Boston versus Worcester.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Wear Puma's and you'll never be mistaken for American....until you open your month
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I was taking a walk in an Ohio state park when I saw a group of people ahead of me. I was immediately certain they were European, and guessed Swiss, without hearing them talk. They were too carefully dressed in "outdoorsy" attire to be natives.

Sure enough, as we got closer, I could hear them speaking German.
I noticed a similar thing on a hike in the Washington Cascades a few years ago on a drizzly late-Spring day. Everyone on the trail, and I mean there were hundreds of people, looked like they just finished shopping at REI. Were they part of a company outing? No, they were just typical Seattlites who know how to dress for the weather and the terrain.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: US Gold
I find it hilarious how many Americans think Europeans are always formally dressed. See this guy - https://www.janalbrecht.eu/ueber-jan/fotos.html - in the T-shirt and casual jacket? That's how he dresses to attend his job as a Member of the European Parliament.

wg
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by wendyg
I find it hilarious how many Americans think Europeans are always formally dressed.
I dont think anyone thinks that.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Don't try that in Italy. Unless you want to be taken for an Albanian.
Perhaps not. But in Lyon, say...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.