How to look less like an American when travelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to look less like an American when travelling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I am amazed that with the exception of one poster, nobody has brought up SHORTS.

Even the article fails to mention shorts.

In Europe and Southamerica, shorts belong at the beach or pool, same for flip flops.

See someone in Paris or Bs. Aires walking around the city streets with shorts -> American.

Another obvious is huge cameras.

A more important one and has NOTHING to do with clothes is body size.
IT does not matter what one wears. Weight/size will give one away.

So, ditch the shorts, flip flops and sandals, get the BMI in the "underweight" section, and then worry about the clothes.

Oh, and don't say ever "Thank you" "Excuse me" or similar (if not English speaking country, even if most locals speak English). Learn at least a few basic words. Danke, Gracias, Grazie Mille!

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 20, 2016 at 4:46 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by carlosdca
See someone in Paris or Bs. Aires walking around the city streets with shorts -> American.
Even the ones wearing shorts, socks, and sandals and speaking German?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you have the BMI right, and look swarthy enough (especially French but seemingly also Italian or Spanish), try dressing up with clothes from this place
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Even the ones wearing shorts, socks, and sandals and speaking German?
When was the last time you saw this and where?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Since I look like I just stepped out of a mosque in northern Africa, I find that I am treated better in Europe once they realize I am an American instead. The clothes actually help. I will wear jeans in Europe during the week. I wear black adidas runners which seem to not stick out. On the weekends in the summer in Berlin, I am going to wear shorts like everyone else (unless I am practicing FKK with the locals in the Tiergarten).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:22 pm

When was the last time you saw this and where?
Actually, last month in San Francisco. So of course I did the only appropriate thing under the circumstances. I pointed at them and laughed hysterically, then I tripped them. That'll teach 'em.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: Independent
Maybe this is why Americans don't travel overseas much. Reading threads like this they get the idea that Europeans are hyper judgemental, retaliatory fashionistas just waiting to attack any perceived American they come across. Forget the religious terrorists - Americans are far more scared of what they think locals are going to do to them!

Let me ask you this - how much of this is really what happens and what you have perceived, and how much of this is just stereotypes and resentment trying to be codified into "customs"? Do people in Europe really never wear shorts or sandals? Are they really all skinny as a beanpole and all Americans three times their size? Don't let resentment towards being an American overwhelm your judgement.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Are they really all skinny as a beanpole and all Americans three times their size?
Well, not quite 3x larger but.... the statistics would almost make it seem that way. Though the average adult American and Canadian are pretty much the same height, there's a difference of 17-19 lbs in average weight.

FWIW, the average German would seem to have the same BMI as a lot of northern European-appearing Americans (for good reason).
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Shorts. I was in Venice in August and saw lots of non Americans in shorts. Including one guy in shorts and a t shirt with his wife in a burka. How did I know they were not Americans? They didn't look like Americans.

i don't care how you dress, most Americans will look like Americans.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Time to throw away my American Flag swimming trunks?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Maybe this is why Americans don't travel overseas much. Reading threads like this they get the idea that Europeans are hyper judgemental, retaliatory fashionistas just waiting to attack any perceived American they come across. Forget the religious terrorists - Americans are far more scared of what they think locals are going to do to them!

Let me ask you this - how much of this is really what happens and what you have perceived, and how much of this is just stereotypes and resentment trying to be codified into "customs"? Do people in Europe really never wear shorts or sandals? Are they really all skinny as a beanpole and all Americans three times their size? Don't let resentment towards being an American overwhelm your judgement.
You know what really makes my European friends laugh about Americans' clothes? No, it's not the clothes we wear, but the fact that some Americans seem so obsessed and cowed by a bunch of often mythical European fashion "rules." For the most part, as long as you're not wearing shorts in an upscale restaurant or a tank top at a wedding, they simply don't get all hot and bothered about things like the color of our trousers or the style of our shoes. But then, many of those Europeans actually do wear shorts in the summer (though not to work, of course) or jeans in the city, so maybe they're unqualified to speak.

Furthermore, based on my last few trips to Britain, no they're definitely not all skinny as a beanpole!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Furthermore, based on my last few trips to Britain, no they're definitely not all skinny as a beanpole!
U.K. (and Australian) weights are fairly high. Average height in the U.K. is pretty much identical to the U.S. and Canada (less than an inch shorter for women). Average weight is between Canadians and Americans but only ~ 1/3rd of the way.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
U.K. (and Australian) weights are fairly high. Average height in the U.K. is pretty much identical to the U.S. and Canada (less than an inch shorter for women). Average weight is between Canadians and Americans but only ~ 1/3rd of the way.
http://www.indexmundi.com/blog/index...mi-by-country/

kind of interesting, but may show weakness of BMI

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 20, 2016 at 7:11 pm
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: *G
I am amazed that with the exception of one poster, nobody has brought up SHORTS.

In Europe and Southamerica, shorts belong at the beach or pool, same for flip flops.
probably because its not true.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:51 am

Just wear some [preferably fake] Adidas and you will look local prety much everywhere.

The article is funny: so Columbia is no-no, but ExOfficio is ok? And pretending to be Canadian? In addition to what has already been said, did they forget the 747 full of mostly Canadian citizens blown up at cruising altitude? That was second deadliest terrorist attack involving airplanes next to 9/11.

Plus Canada is an ally, and often sends troops in support of US operations.

Last edited by TObject; Jun 21, 2016 at 1:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.