Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
You seem pretty defensive. What does it matter to you what someone says about your clothes?

I guess I get pretty tired of all the people that dress down who seem to think they deserve a pat on the back for doing it.
How did normal, every day clothes become"dressing down"?

If you dress down, then just do it. Most of the time I wear jeans and a t-shirt in coach but I do, occasionally dress up a little for business/first. But I like seeing people who are dressed up. I hate flip flops because I can hear you walking and I can smell your sweaty feet.
So you acknowledge that you pretend to be something you aren't in order to put on airs if you are in First? OK. To each his own.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

So you acknowledge that you pretend to be something you aren't in order to put on airs if you are in First? OK. To each his own.

I'm sorry, this is kind of ridiculous, why do you care if someone dresses up for a place they feel is nice? Do you dress up to go to a concert? Church? An opera?

To some F is a place where they feel they want to dress up. That's their right, and it is silly that you are suggesting that they are being fake for doing so. You don't want people telling you to wear something nice, fine. Then don't treat others who want to dress up like they are being fake.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:49 am

Programs: *G
lounge suits are pretty trashy, no matter how much they cost, and where they're worn. outside of the house.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by deniah
lounge suits are pretty trashy, no matter how much they cost, and where they're worn. outside of the house.
I second that
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I'm sorry, this is kind of ridiculous, why do you care if someone dresses up for a place they feel is nice? Do you dress up to go to a concert? Church? An opera?

To some F is a place where they feel they want to dress up. That's their right, and it is silly that you are suggesting that they are being fake for doing so. You don't want people telling you to wear something nice, fine. Then don't treat others who want to dress up like they are being fake.
There is a bizarre reverse snobbishness going on here. People racing to the bottom to see how casual they can get. And they're proud of how sloppy they can be.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:23 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
People may not think clothing matters but I bet they agree on standards when the person next to them smells like a pile of garbage or like a perfume bottle. What happens to personal choice then?
Seems to me to depend on the degree of the assault
and the possible remedies.

It's pretty easy to close your eyes; not so your nose.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:57 am

Interesting discussion about lounge/track/yoga/comfy pants. I think they can be acceptable, my husband does not. I have a couple of pairs that are a knit, wrinkle resisting blend in dark colors that have a nice drape. Paired with a plain white tshirt and a coordinating sweater and flats, they look as good as chinos. However, because they don't have a zipper and button, my husband puts them in the same catorgy as sweatpants.

The sandals vs the husbands shoes to get into the lounge is similar to the resort dress code nonsense we have encountered at a couple of luxury resorts. Linen knee length shorts with closed toed sandals for men are a no-go but old jeans and sneakers pass the dress code? Makes no sense and has steered us away from places with a no shorts for men requirement.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I think gym attire is perfectly appropriate. At the gym. How it ever became acceptable attire for daily living is beyond me.

Though I am still most amused by the people who think nothing of dropping off their children at school while in their pajamas. Because those extra 20 minutes to pull on a pair of jeans and a sweater, brush your teeth and hair, and dab on a little gloss, maybe? Nah, too much effort.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ysolde
I think gym attire is perfectly appropriate. At the gym. How it ever became acceptable attire for daily living is beyond me.
Why not acceptable?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just dress casually and for comfort.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: SAS EBG
For me it's always "Business casual" style, regardless of Y or J.
I think it's a nice mix of comfortable, "blending in" and looking more like a professional.
First impressions could be important, and it's always when I am traveling that I meet new people.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:26 am

Just please don't wear tights whether you are male or female. I see too many women wearing tights instead of pants. I suppose they think it's comfortable. I think it makes them look naked. Sometimes it's not flattering.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Interesting discussion. As my flights are almost all long haul, I've mainly worn a well worn jeans and presentable but comfortable T-shirt regardless of what class I fly in.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA
I did not read the whole thread but I think the dressing up for J/F is for the Aero Nouveau Riche (those who travel for business so much that, due to FF programs, they are treated like royalty while flying but otherwise lead drab hoi polloi lives) is for borderline "elites" seeking an upgrade.

If you have purchased your j/f ticket, you do not worry about what you are wearing, provided that your personal hygiene is good, since there is no system to game or anyone to impress on the aircraft.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Beven12S
I did not read the whole thread but I think the dressing up for J/F is for the Aero Nouveau Riche (those who travel for business so much that, due to FF programs, they are treated like royalty while flying but otherwise lead drab hoi polloi lives) is for borderline "elites" seeking an upgrade.

If you have purchased your j/f ticket, you do not worry about what you are wearing, provided that your personal hygiene is good, since there is no system to game or anyone to impress on the aircraft.
Your opinion is based on your own experience, chats with elites, or? I think you are oversimplifying things. i buy my own tickets, sometimes F, J or Y. i don't dress up all the time, but I care about my appearance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.