Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:40 pm

It seems that some people would only be happy if we all dressed down. Then there would be no differences.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by zitsky
It seems that some people would only be happy if we all dressed down. Then there would be no differences.
Dress up, dress down, dress however you want. As long as I don't have to be pressed against a bare part of you (more an issue in coach -- no singlets/tank tops or short-shorts there please!) I don't care how anyone else dresses.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I'm a Floridian. If I'm not walking off the plane and heading right to a customer meeting, I'm usually in khaki shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt or polo regardless of the cabin. It's what I wear at home and I like to fly comfortable. If I'm headed up north in the winter I will usually wear jeans and real shoes instead because of the cold at my destination, but grudgingly.

Do I dress like a hobo? No, my clothes are clean. Do I dress like a slob? To some people, probably, but whatever. That's their problem, not mine. I'm on a sky bus, not eating in a fancy restaurant with a dress code. If the airlines cared, they'd impose a dress code on revenue pax the way they do on NRSA pax.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by realjd
I'm a Floridian. If I'm not walking off the plane and heading right to a customer meeting, I'm usually in khaki shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt or polo regardless of the cabin. It's what I wear at home and I like to fly comfortable. If I'm headed up north in the winter I will usually wear jeans and real shoes instead because of the cold at my destination, but grudgingly.

Do I dress like a hobo? No, my clothes are clean. Do I dress like a slob? To some people, probably, but whatever. That's their problem, not mine. I'm on a sky bus, not eating in a fancy restaurant with a dress code. If the airlines cared, they'd impose a dress code on revenue pax the way they do on NRSA pax.
The problem I have with sandals or flip flops is that your feet sweat just like the rest of you. After a while, I can smell them. Maybe not after a 2 hr flight but certainly after a long day.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The problem I have with sandals or flip flops is that your feet sweat just like the rest of you. After a while, I can smell them. Maybe not after a 2 hr flight but certainly after a long day.
No sandals for me but my feet might not smell like roses when I take my boots off during a long flight. There's a chance my journey began many hours before when I departed an industrial site in a hot and humid developing country.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
No sandals for me but my feet might not smell like roses when I take my boots off during a long flight. There's a chance my journey began many hours before when I departed an industrial site in a hot and humid developing country.
I'll bring some cologne to spray on your feet.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'll bring some cologne to spray on your feet.
I wouldn't advise it. The next thing you know someone will start a thread whining about colognes being sprayed in cabins.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i'm an old guy, and although my feet do not smell, the rest of me really stinks after a couple hours. anyone have any recommendations?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:05 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki
i'm an old guy, and although my feet do not smell, the rest of me really stinks after a couple hours. anyone have any recommendations?
Sounds like a good excuse to fly first class all the time ^
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:45 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator action: Posts have been edited or deleted that are unduly personal or bickering. Please keep to the subject. Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:06 am

Do you want a serious answer? Are you taking any vitamins that make your skin smell? I imagine you already do the obvious like put on more deodorant?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Same here. Add if sometime long waits at remote airports with my feet marinating in 2 days of grease and sweat.....

Yeah, sit next to Badenoch.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Sounds like a personal hygiene issue with a relatively easy fix - foot deodorant.

Many people's armpits will stink if they don't use deodorant - they rarely stink just because they've used deodorant but made the mistake of wearing a sleeveless shirt/blouse/dress.

Feet are no different - they don't stink because you're wearing sandals or barefoot, they stink because you didn't use proper hygiene.

I think a more likely source of odor is someone whose shoes or socks stink from poor foot hygiene. You might sit next to one of these people at a business meeting or restaurant and never know. Then they get on the plane (or, occasionally, relaxing in the lounge), kick off the shoes, and the stink is released.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I've noticed quite the opposite. My feet get sweaty and smellier wearing real shoes. With sandals, they stay nice and dry because they aren't marinading in sweaty socks for hours on end. That's one of the reasons I prefer wearing sandals on long flights in J where I'm taking my shoes off to sleep.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Ha! I had a good laugh from some of the posts above.

I put a pinch of corn starch or foot deodorizer in every pair of socks that I bring on a trip, and a big sprinkle in my main pair of shoes. I'm always afraid that I'll be the last one to notice the stink. I'm the mother of a teenage boy, and he appears to be impervious to his own, rather pungent, feet and footwear.

I like to have my feet in sandals, especially on long flights. I try to change my closed shoes in shower area of the lounge or in the loo, and will wash my feet with a damp towel in the lav, then wear my sandals on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.