Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, National Car EE, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
For domestic flights, I dress based on where I'm going, if I'm headed to meetings, I'm dressed for that, going home, it's typically a t-shirt and shorts or jeans.

On international flights, I change into my comfy gym shorts, track pants, t-shirt combo in the lounge prior to boarding, and then change into polo & jeans or dress pants prior to landing. All about comfort on the flight, but I don't like to look like a total bum with the track suit look when getting to my destination.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

I tend to wear long sleeve shirts and long leg pants for all my travel as this limits my contact area to the seat and/or fellow passengers.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by blitzen
I tend to wear long sleeve shirts and long leg pants for all my travel as this limits my contact area to the seat and/or fellow passengers.
I feel the same way. I don't like the idea having lots of skin in contact with either airline seats or strangers. I'll shake hands, but I don't want my entire arm or leg be touched by a stranger with or without clothing, but direct skin-to-skin touching is worse even if it's accidental.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:48 am

I tend to wear business casual. Good for most situations. Long sleeves usually as then I can also warm up if it's cold. If I am going somewhere tropical, I'll swap out the shirt for a golf shirt. Always get treated politely.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Navy blue hoodie, white t-shirt, grey bermuda shorts and flip flops on SQ F to CGK recently - seemed to be mostly leisure travelers and I wasn't the most casually dressed. No one in a suit or wearing a tie except cabin crew.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Navy blue hoodie, white t-shirt, grey bermuda shorts and flip flops on SQ F to CGK recently - seemed to be mostly leisure travelers and I wasn't the most casually dressed. No one in a suit or wearing a tie except cabin crew.
If you weren't the most casual, what were *they* wearing?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
If you weren't the most casual, what were *they* wearing?
Man across the aisle in same attire sans hoodie.

Have noticed more leisure[ly dressed] pax on my infrequent F flights. Crew have said the ratio of leisure vs business pax in F has increased in recent years, one guy put it down to cuts in travel spending on regional routes and no need to dress up on long haul from US. His words, not mine.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Man across the aisle in same attire sans hoodie.

Have noticed more leisure[ly dressed] pax on my infrequent F flights. Crew have said the ratio of leisure vs business pax in F has increased in recent years, one guy put it down to cuts in travel spending on regional routes and no need to dress up on long haul from US. His words, not mine.
Is a hoodie now considered formal attire then?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I prefer comfort, especially because of all that airport walking and luggage management. So it's jeans, sneakers, tshirt... We rarely travel so we only fly paid domestic F, cheapest price possible.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:47 am

I don't know how you came to that conclusion from my post.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
The Zuck sure seems to think so.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Isn't Singapore a bit hot for a hoodie? I'm more of a jeans and oxford shirt guy myself though in Singapore I'd likely switch to Dockers. I don't think I've worn a hoodie since football practice. That hood sure was welcome on a windy day though!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 3:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Isn't Singapore a bit hot for a hoodie?
Reminds me of something I've thought of for years - a portable personal
air conditioner. A hoodie would be a perfect vehicle for such a thing.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Wore a suit for my past few evening flights and for my LHR-LAX J flight. Not a scientific observation, but I think I got better service as a result.

Have an upcoming CX F reward flight and I'm planning to wear the same on account of the special occasion!
Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:16 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
If I'm travelling for business, often a suit regardless of cabin as I'm typically doing a quick turnaround with meetings lined up shortly after arrival. (slightly dependent on climate at destination)

If it's travel for pleasure, most times I just slum it in jeans & a hoodie for comfort without needing to break out the sweatpants

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.