Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This whole dress-up thing as a wealth-indicator makes me laugh. Perhaps a random-number generator would have a better chance of predicting which person has wealth. While I’m sure some wealthy folks wear Rolexes or other “exclusive goods,” the reality is that many more wannabes who can’t afford to retire wear them too.

Want to find wealth? Check out the Y cabin, and study the millionaire in the seat next to you, as indicated in this book:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 9, 2018 at 7:21 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Full morning dress for a day flight, white tie and tails for an evening flight, smoking jacket for a night flight.
What do you wear if you are going to a special occasion and need to dress up?
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple

But "dressing" used to make more of a difference in terms of how one was treated, in many places.
That was before the techillionaires, and the days of jeans and turtlenecks/hoodies as a form of professional attire. After that, things changed. A lot.

GC
I tend to agree. It has been my experience that I get better treatment, faster service and less issues when I am dressed well. Not just from airline employees, but from rental car clerks, hotel staff, and wait staff. It's probably subconscious on their part.

I am not saying the QUALITY of what you wear indicates wealth. Most people couldn't tell a Rolex from a Fossil or a Saville Row from an off the rack Michael Kors. However, everyone can see someone well put together vs the run of the mill Texas goober with wrangler jeans, a mossy oak hat, a trashy t-shirt with something lewd printed on it and a neck beard.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:14 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I think your general attitude towards the people you interact with has a much greater bearing on the level of service you receive than what you wear. It's amazing how few people are genuinely nice to others, a smile and being polite goes a long way.

If you stink, being polite won't get you anywhere though
GadgetFreak and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have sat by a very wealthy person wearing jeans and a casual shirt in International business.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
This discussion had the wrong tone since the beginning. "Dress up" when it really should be "not dress like a redneck/slob" .... people think they can get away with everything ... wearing PJ bottoms to go shopping ..... I don't want to sit next to a slob. As long as someone is dressed "properly" and inoffensive I don't care.
But if you reach a certain level of sophistication people will treat you better. It could be tshirt/ jeans but a clean shave/ haircut and manners ... it depends on the package not one single item.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by blitzen
This discussion had the wrong tone since the beginning. "Dress up" when it really should be "not dress like a redneck/slob" .... people think they can get away with everything ... wearing PJ bottoms to go shopping ..... I don't want to sit next to a slob. As long as someone is dressed "properly" and inoffensive I don't care.
But if you reach a certain level of sophistication people will treat you better. It could be tshirt/ jeans but a clean shave/ haircut and manners ... it depends on the package not one single item.
"Properly" is an abstract and subjective term. What may be proper to me might not be to you. Regardless, I will decide what proper attire is for me and do not care what other passengers think. Should I be seated beside you and my attire does not meet your standards of sartorial suitability you will just have to endure preferably in silence.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Badenoch
"Properly" is an abstract and subjective term. What may be proper to me might not be to you. Regardless, I will decide what proper attire is for me and do not care what other passengers think. Should I be seated beside you and my attire does not meet your standards of sartorial suitability you will just have to endure preferably in silence.
Attire is subjective and abstract ..... if you wear a wife beater with egg on it paired with hot pants or PJ Pants than we all know that this would be not acceptable ... not only don't I want to look at it but I don't want to be in contact with anyone's (unless I know them) skin on the plan. Or bare feet walking to the bathroom or sticking your smelly feet into the air.
We all (99% of the people on this board at least) know how to behave and what passes as properly dressed and what is dressing like a slob
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have sat by a very wealthy person wearing jeans and a casual shirt in International business.
I never told you I was rich.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
I never told you I was rich.

I kind of doubt he wastes time on FT.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by zitsky
This thread open again afrer two years?

If someone dresses like a slob, I don't assume they're rich.
If someone dresses 'up', I don't assume they're rich. I assume they are trying too hard to pretend.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
I'm only 29 so that alone should help you understand I personally am not dressing up to fly.

I'd say it depends on what I am flying for and where. If I am doing a quick trip for a business meeting in a day, I will wear slacks and a button down shirt. Otherwise, I am totally in jogger pants or soccer style pants and a light long sleeve athletic shirt. I do not give a dang what anyone thinks of it either no matter the class of service, it's 2018 lol.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My sister dresses up to travel. I don't. She thinks she gets better treatment by dressing up. I think I get great treatment by being an elite and nice. Who knows.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Those jeans and T shirt probably cost more than three suits of a middle manager.......Also when you have made that much money you have a right to dress as you please...they have other ways to telegraph their wealth / status.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Those jeans and T shirt probably cost more than three suits of a middle manager.......Also when you have made that much money you have a right to dress as you please...they have other ways to telegraph their wealth / status.
It was a casual button down shirt like a Hawian shirt or something but you may very well be right about the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.