Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airports not accommodating passengers.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
A few things I can think of: hotels may be full, hotels may be full enough that the rate for any remaining rooms is higher than a person is willing to pay, if someone's been rebooked on an early-morning flight it may not make sense to get a hotel room just to get a couple hours of sleep before hading back to the airport.
I had a really bad experience ay a hotel just outside of ATL last year- got into ATL at like 12:30am after our flight had been declared mechanical and ended up smack in the middle of the aftermath of one of those Atlanta spring thunderstorm full ground stop events. Delta screwed up on the hotel vouchers and at that point, anything you would have actually heard of and had an airport shuttle was full up, (seriously, even if you wanted a room at the Ritz, it wasn't going to happen) and the only open room we could find was a a place where there were prostitutes out front at night, and a pimp fight in the parking lot when we were waiting for the shuttle the next morning.

If I ever find myself in similar circumstances again, I've got to say that a quiet, little-used corner of E Terminal would be a whole lot safer and less stress than another night in the Atlanta pimp hotel.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
the only open room we could find was a a place where there were prostitutes out front at night, and a pimp fight in the parking lot when we were waiting for the shuttle the next morning.
So, a variety of entertainment options included.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 2:51 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Adam1222
There is a large swath of America that isn't "homeless", but doesnt fall into the "not a big deal to pay an unexpected $150+ for an airport hotel room" income bracket. In fact, that's probably the majority of America. You're simply imposing your value judgment on others that it is always worth it to stay in a hotel. I'm fairly financially comfortable and if it's midnight and id have to be back at the airport at 5am, I'd think very carefully about dropping more than $100 to go to a hotel for a few hours.
I could easily afford a couple hundred bucks on a hotel if I needed to, but I probably wouldn't, for several reasons.

1. getting to and from the hotel takes time. At the airport, you would get more hours of sleep.
2. you need to account for delays getting back. At the airport, you can just roll out of bed and board the plane.
3. no need to go through TSA's nonsense again (I always opt out of body scanners)
4. I usually don't sleep that well in hotels anyway
5. it makes a better story to tell!

A lot would depend on the hours. If it's 6 PM and my flight has been rescheduled for 8 AM, of course I'll get a hotel. If it's midnight and my flight is at 8 AM, probably not.

This is, of course, assuming I'm traveling alone. With family or friends, the equation changes.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:48 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cbn42

A lot would depend on the hours. If it's 6 PM and my flight has been rescheduled for 8 AM, of course I'll get a hotel. If it's midnight and my flight is at 8 AM, probably not.

This is, of course, assuming I'm traveling alone. With family or friends, the equation changes.
^
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
You may not be familiar with income inequality in America. 60% of American households earn less than $62,000 a year. 40% earn less than $38,000. Most are not homeless. But $150

The Southwestification of travel, along with the proliferation of blogs convincing people with little expendable money to travel by getting credit cards and points means that a larger segment of the American public is traveling via air. The larger point is that just because someone isnt "homeless" doesn't mean its no big deal to drop a couple of hundred dollars.
That's what I said. Depends on the person and his situation. But I don't see someone making $62k/year sleeping on a floor to save $100. My disagreement was with the term "majority of Americans".
You must not realize how little a household income of $62000 is, particularly in some parts of the country. You are projecting your value judgment on others.

The majority of Americans are not homeless, but not as rich as to drop $150+ like it's nothing.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another factor might be that young travelers are likely to have trouble checking in to a hotel, even if they have credit cards. Many hotels (including most major chains in the USA) forbid renting rooms to people under 21 and almost no hotel (other than a youth hostel) will allow under 18s to check in, even with a phone call or fax from a parent giving permission and accepting responsibility.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I had a really bad experience ay a hotel just outside of ATL last year- got into ATL at like 12:30am after our flight had been declared mechanical and ended up smack in the middle of the aftermath of one of those Atlanta spring thunderstorm full ground stop events. Delta screwed up on the hotel vouchers and at that point, anything you would have actually heard of and had an airport shuttle was full up, (seriously, even if you wanted a room at the Ritz, it wasn't going to happen) and the only open room we could find was a a place where there were prostitutes out front at night, and a pimp fight in the parking lot when we were waiting for the shuttle the next morning.

If I ever find myself in similar circumstances again, I've got to say that a quiet, little-used corner of E Terminal would be a whole lot safer and less stress than another night in the Atlanta pimp hotel.
Yikes. I have done that hotel after issues getting in and out of ATL that resulted in an unexpected overnight, too. Never again!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by 84fiero
As for the food vendors, you would think it's a missed opportunity to not sell more food. I mean, if you normally close at 8:00 but people are obviously going to be there for a few more hours, it's a captive audience and a chance to make money.

Once we got stuck in MSP years ago due to weather when my daughter was a baby. I don't remember if it was NW or the airport (I think the former) but they brought out diapers and I think even a bit of formula for people. I wouldn't expect that to happen nowadays.
The employees of the food vendors have lives outside of work. They might need to get home with the car so their spouse can use it to get to his/her job. They might have children they need to pick up from daycare. When the weather is bad enough that airports close, the employees need to get home and off the streets before travel bans go into effect.

Personally when I travel--particularly in the winter--I bring enough snacks to hold me over for a potential 12 hour delay. I can't imagine boarding a plane without enough extra diapers and formula to cover an extra 24 hours of travel.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
You must not realize how little a household income of $62000 is, particularly in some parts of the country. You are projecting your value judgment on others.

The majority of Americans are not homeless, but not as rich as to drop $150+ like it's nothing.
Actually in the majority of the US, $62K is a very manageable income for a family of four and puts them squarely into middle class. The average home cost in the US is $180K and average property taxes are $1400 a year.

Sure, it's not enough to live on in NYC, Washington, DC, San Francisco, etc., but those are the exception to the rule.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Annerk
Actually in the majority of the US, $62K is a very manageable income for a family of four and puts them squarely into middle class. The average home cost in the US is $180K and average property taxes are $1400 a year.

Sure, it's not enough to live on in NYC, Washington, DC, San Francisco, etc., but those are the exception to the rule.
In fact it's significantly above the national average. Around 40% above.

$150 is not "nothing" to most people. But most Americans would choose to spend it on a decent place to sleep over sleeping on the floor. Not all, but most. IMO.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Sometimes it's not a matter of money but time. When it's been so late at night that I would only have a couple of hours of potential sleep once I make it to the hotel before I have to return, I just curl up somewhere at the airport rather than hassle with the hotel. I can sleep about anywhere though.

Now, Mrs 84fiero doesn't see it that way, so it depends whether I'm with her or solo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.