Search

Airports not accommodating passengers.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
ERrrr, isn't KC in Missouri
There are two towns named Kansas City: One is in Missouri, one is in Kansas. They are directly across the Missouri River from one another.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:57 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stut
[A] hellish Ikeaesque duty free maze
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
DC probably falls into the category of places that shut down easily with small snowfall totals (I remember days when everybody worked from home because of 3-4 inches), but the hysterics and proclamations that the storms were "historic" and of such an epic proportion that we'll talk about them a century from now were not there.
Most US cities rely on tax money for snow removal. Given the usual weather in DC or Atlanta, the taxpayers should spend their money on other issues (homelessness maybe) rather than preparing for rare storms. Yes, northern cities are used to snow and spend millions a year preparing and responding to storms. But I am pretty happy to need to wait for my side street to be plowed once every few years and see my money spent on schools.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
Most US cities rely on tax money for snow removal. Given the usual weather in DC or Atlanta, the taxpayers should spend their money on other issues (homelessness maybe) rather than preparing for rare storms. Yes, northern cities are used to snow and spend millions a year preparing and responding to storms. But I am pretty happy to need to wait for my side street to be plowed once every few years and see my money spent on schools.
I'm assuming you have a job that pays you the same when there's a snow day or not and gives you the luxury of staying home with a nice hot cup of cocoa, staring at the pretty landscape.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm assuming you have a job that pays you the same when there's a snow day or not and gives you the luxury of staying home with a nice hot cup of cocoa, staring at the pretty landscape.
Your assumption is correct. Of course businesses do not like that case. And you give me an idea of an alternative approach to the snow removal preparation calculations.

The incremental salary+profit of a gained day of work due to faster snow removal needs to be less than or equal to the cost of maintaining snow removal equipment and staff.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:21 pm

I have seen the council's snow removal/de-icing equipment here (snow is less common than in D.C. here) and I'm pretty sure it's equipment that normally is used for other tasks which they simply modify to work for these wintry purposes. I'm sure most people would agree that clean streets in general represent one of the more useful purposes of local government spending.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Are all stop signs in Kansas City written in French?
Looks an aweful lot like Montreal.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Your assumption is correct. Of course businesses do not like that case. And you give me an idea of an alternative approach to the snow removal preparation calculations.

The incremental salary+profit of a gained day of work due to faster snow removal needs to be less than or equal to the cost of maintaining snow removal equipment and staff.

That's a regressive calculation as it penalizes poorer workers.
Thankfully most governments recognize that public services shouldn't be provided only when they help high wage earners.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by valdor
Looks an aweful lot like Montreal.
The picture was in an article with a headline about the 2015 Boston blizzard. I didn't look at the picture very closely but I remember wondering whether it really applied to the topic at hand ... and evidently, it didn't.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ajGoes

"Three inches of snow" as viewed from Kansas City
Looks like YUL in that photo, given the "ARRĘT" sign.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Palal
Looks like YUL in that photo, given the "ARRĘT" sign.
I was aiming for Boston, but really the locale doesn't matter much. I just wanted to point out to our MCI friend that a nor'easter blizzard actually is a rather significant event.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:48 pm

And lets not forget that it is not only the inconvenience - we have had three fatalities in my area (I live in a small rural community) due to weather conditions.

Getting the info out there - even if they THINK it may impact an area - is paramount to trying to keep people as safe as possible.

Yes, if the event doesn't pan out the way it was reported, everyone can sit back and criticize - but I think it is important to understand that when these areas are looking at a massive amount of snow, ice, winds, etc it is important to let people know.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Well, we are supposed to have 8"-12" in Chicagoland imminently. We'll see.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Snow removal isn't just a convenience, it's also a public safety issue. Streets need to be cleared so that ambulances and firetrucks can get access if needed.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And as for the comment about ATL: they go nuts over 1/8".
True. However, to be fair, they get snow so infrequently that it simply isn't cost-effective to purchase, store, maintain--and employ people to maintain and use--a fleet of snow plows, salt, etc.

However, if a municipality and/or airport in Chicago decided to do away with these things, the public outcry would be swift, loud, vicious, and deserved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.