Wiki Posts
Search

Airports not accommodating passengers.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fwoomp
However, if a municipality and/or airport in Chicago decided to do away with these things, the public outcry would be swift, loud, vicious, and deserved.
Yeah, read about what happened here once to Mayor Michael Bilandic:

"In the winter of 1979, a blizzard struck Chicago and effectively closed down the city. The city's slow response to the debilitating storm was publicly blamed on Bilandic. Additionally, as part of attempts to deal with the storm, Bilandic ordered Chicago 'L' trains to bypass many intermediate stops, particularly affecting African American neighborhoods on the South Side, and angering that large voter base."

And Bilandic lost the primary for re-election that year.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't get it. Why does the self-loading cargo think it is a valued client?

Passengers are a nuisance to the U.S. air travel industry, nothing else. Every possible customer-service touchpoint throughout the system - airlines, airports, TSA, etc. - reaffirms this in the sharpest possible manner.

The airports themselves definitely do not want you there any longer than necessary. Definitely not U.S. airports, which are basically large bus depots.

I'm fairly certain that Comcast and Sprint think of me as a more valued client than any airport does.
Have you ever been to Port Authority in NYC?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:54 am

I'm curious about something and in no way am I being condescending toward anyone. Most people that fly are certainly not homeless types. Why then do most people see fit to spend the night or nights at the airport when there is a storm or major disruption in air travel? Every airport has numerous hotels nearby or attached to the airport. Are they just too cheap to pay for a hotel? Possibly there is a small amount of people who may be strapped for funds. But most, I'm quite sure, can afford a hotel. Also, shouldn't travelers always have the means available for contingencies. Who travels with no credit cards or cash in their pocket?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm
I'm curious about something and in no way am I being condescending toward anyone. Most people that fly are certainly not homeless types. Why then do most people see fit to spend the night or nights at the airport when there is a storm or major disruption in air travel? Every airport has numerous hotels nearby or attached to the airport. Are they just too cheap to pay for a hotel? Possibly there is a small amount of people who may be strapped for funds. But most, I'm quite sure, can afford a hotel. Also, shouldn't travelers always have the means available for contingencies. Who travels with no credit cards or cash in their pocket?
A few things I can think of: hotels may be full, hotels may be full enough that the rate for any remaining rooms is higher than a person is willing to pay, if someone's been rebooked on an early-morning flight it may not make sense to get a hotel room just to get a couple hours of sleep before hading back to the airport.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by floridastorm
There is a large swath of America that isn't "homeless", but doesnt fall into the "not a big deal to pay an unexpected $150+ for an airport hotel room" income bracket. In fact, that's probably the majority of America. You're simply imposing your value judgment on others that it is always worth it to stay in a hotel. I'm fairly financially comfortable and if it's midnight and id have to be back at the airport at 5am, I'd think very carefully about dropping more than $100 to go to a hotel for a few hours.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:52 pm

My vacations are carefully planned and I do not factor in paying for an extra hotel room, especially if it only for a few hours. I do have a credit card for emergencies, but a few hours of sleep are not an emergency.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Originally Posted by Adam1222
There is a large swath of America that isn't "homeless", but doesnt fall into the "not a big deal to pay an unexpected $150+ for an airport hotel room" income bracket. In fact, that's probably the majority of America. You're simply imposing your value judgment on others that it is always worth it to stay in a hotel. I'm fairly financially comfortable and if it's midnight and id have to be back at the airport at 5am, I'd think very carefully about dropping more than $100 to go to a hotel for a few hours.
You said it much more nicely than I could!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I'd disagree with the bolded phrase. Other than that, you're completely right. A lot of budget travelers when presented with the option will choose to sleep on the floor at the airport rather than spend $150 for a room. It depends primarily if the $150 is large enough within your budget that it will make a diference in the quality of life at your destination.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:37 pm

I wouldn't consider myself especially wealthy, but I'd certainly pay 100-150 bucks to avoid the "sleeping on the floor at the airport" scenario.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
A few things I can think of: hotels may be full, hotels may be full enough that the rate for any remaining rooms is higher than a person is willing to pay, if someone's been rebooked on an early-morning flight it may not make sense to get a hotel room just to get a couple hours of sleep before hading back to the airport.
I grew up in a snowy area, and it was common to see "people stranded at the airport!" stories on the news around the holidays. I suspect that for many, that trip to see grandma, along with the buying of presents and whatnot, probably either took their last nickel, or didn't leave very many. (Interviewees were often of the young, fabulous, and broke demographic, too.)

I also have no doubt that the hotels around there simply filled up fast. There weren't that many--still aren't--and fewer still were reasonably priced. The farther out you got, the harder it was to get back to the airport. Not only that, the same hotels were on major highways, so they were probably getting drivers walking in who decided it would be safer to stop for the night, too.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I'd disagree with the bolded phrase. Other than that, you're completely right. A lot of budget travelers when presented with the option will choose to sleep on the floor at the airport rather than spend $150 for a room. It depends primarily if the $150 is large enough within your budget that it will make a diference in the quality of life at your destination.
You may not be familiar with income inequality in America. 60% of American households earn less than $62,000 a year. 40% earn less than $38,000. Most are not homeless. But $150

The Southwestification of travel, along with the proliferation of blogs convincing people with little expendable money to travel by getting credit cards and points means that a larger segment of the American public is traveling via air. The larger point is that just because someone isnt "homeless" doesn't mean its no big deal to drop a couple of hundred dollars.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by pinniped
You guys are missing the point. I'm not saying we don't ever close things for snow: I'm saying we don't proclaim to the world that our snow is history-making and a disaster of epic proportions. We don't flip into wall-to-wall 24 hour weather news mode every time it snows. I don't suddenly feel the need to rush to the store and buy an insane amount of carbohydrates. There's less drama about it, even when it jacks up the normal flow of business/travel for a day or two.

But fine, you guys carry on. I'm wrong about this, and I look forward to visiting the Great January 2015 Snowstorm Museum when it opens next year. I mean, if it's the biggest storm in history, it should get a museum, right? @:-)
Those crazy, pesky facts that others are presenting against your argument....but hey, don't let that get in the way of your good story, bro!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Good find sir!
^
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
You may not be familiar with income inequality in America. 60% of American households earn less than $62,000 a year. 40% earn less than $38,000. Most are not homeless. But $150

The Southwestification of travel, along with the proliferation of blogs convincing people with little expendable money to travel by getting credit cards and points means that a larger segment of the American public is traveling via air. The larger point is that just because someone isnt "homeless" doesn't mean its no big deal to drop a couple of hundred dollars.
That's what I said. Depends on the person and his situation. But I don't see someone making $62k/year sleeping on a floor to save $100. My disagreement was with the term "majority of Americans".
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I wouldn't consider myself especially wealthy, but I'd certainly pay 100-150 bucks to avoid the "sleeping on the floor at the airport" scenario.
I'm with you. I'm certainly not going to allow my wife to sleep on the floor of any airport, regardless. As some people stated they would not mind staying at the airport if it were only for a few hours. Well sure, some flight delays are that much even in the best of weather. What I was referring to is overnight or even two nights due to bad weather. You can also get robbed very easily when you're sleeping at places like airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.