Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The key here is to be proactive as soon as the situation presents itself. If someone can't fit within the confines of their own seat with the armrest lowered, then they should be the one to be moved or otherwise inconvenienced.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I would have asked to be re-seated and, if the cabin was full and I had no particular need to at destination by a certain time, I would have off-loaded myself and asked to be accommodated on another flight.
Ditto. If the armrest can't be lowered I'm up and speaking with the FA immediately. First preference is to be moved, second is that POS gets off-loaded, third and with some considerable opposition is me taking a later flight.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It is the COS who is moved or off loaded, not the person who was seated next to him.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh good. We haven't done this thread before.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a matter of AA's policy and geometry (how many cubic inches of person can fit into how many cubic inches of seat space).

It is also a safety issue, not simply a matter of comfort.

The policy is clear. It is the COS who is moved or off-loaded. While it may be more convenient to reseat the other passenger and that is fine if the other passenger is OK with the new location, it really needs to be acceptable.

These things are best dealt with before the cabin door closes and they are best dealt with politely but firmly. Go seek out a FA, in the forward galley if need be and make a point of using the words, "unsafe" and ask about AA's policies and how all of this works if there is an emergency.

Again, be firm. Ask if the Captain and GA can do anything. Make it clear that you will report the incident to FAA Flight Safety if it is not properly handled. Remember, no threats. Simply polite statements.

There are some things which you can't know about other passengers until it's too late. But, their size is something you can see.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Before using the word "unsafe" on an airplane, make sure you're prepared to be the one offloaded.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
The key here is to be proactive as soon as the situation presents itself. If someone can't fit within the confines of their own seat with the armrest lowered, then they should be the one to be moved or otherwise inconvenienced.
I agree, but I fear that the reality is that the person who complains (about being seated next to a COS who won't fit in the seat) will be the one who is relocated, often from a nice forward aisle seat to the middle seat in the last row, right next to the lavatories.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree, but I fear that the reality is that the person who complains (about being seated next to a COS who won't fit in the seat) will be the one who is relocated, often from a nice forward aisle seat to the middle seat in the last row, right next to the lavatories.
Unfortunately that's true but what can the FA do short of off-loading the POS? Unless there are two available empty seats he/she would only be visiting the POS on to someone else who is equally likely to complain.

Better a middle seat near the lav as opposed to half your seat being assumed by someone who has logged too much knife and fork time.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Unfortunately that's true but what can the FA do short of off-loading the POS? Unless there are two available empty seats he/she would only be visiting the POS on to someone else who is equally likely to complain.

Better a middle seat near the lav as opposed to half your seat being assumed by someone who has logged too much knife and fork time.
But then the COS "wins" and gets the second nice seat for free at the expense of the rightful occupant of that seat.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But then the COS "wins" and gets the second nice seat for free at the expense of the rightful occupant of that seat.
If they are that big they are probably going to get two seats in any event and I'd rather cede my seat instead of being cramped in beside them.

The FA has to consider the impact on the other passengers of potentially moving the POS. I'm sure both of us would raise high and holy hell if an FA relocated a [POS] into an adjacent seat that was formerly empty just to satisfy someone else.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 2, 2016 at 8:13 pm Reason: No need for insulting terms
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Unfortunately that's true but what can the FA do short of off-loading the POS?
If you're standing there in the forward galley complaining about the situation, the Captain is likely going to give you two choices: sit back down or deplane, we're closing the door with or without you.

If you start talking about safety or the FAA, one of those choices goes away.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DIRECT MERIT
I would have asked to be re-seated and, if the cabin was full and I had no particular need to at destination by a certain time, I would have off-loaded myself and asked to be accommodated on another flight...
... which goes along with "and you'll have to find my bag in the hold, which will take a while so you'll take an on-time departure hit and tie up the gate for the next plane that needs it - but, of course, what to do is entirely in your hands."

Being able to say this might even help justify checking a bag, though the situation doesn't come up enough to justify it for that reason alone.

(That said, the one time I was in this situation was connecting to BOS through ORD during a winter snowstorm. All flights on the day I arrived were canceled. All but one on the next day were canceled. My then Executive Platinum status with AA, helped a bit by the fact that I was dating an EP desk agent at the time, got me the only available seat on the only flight to leave the next day. Yes, it was next to someone who should have had two seats. I sucked it up and survived it for two hours.)

Last edited by Efrem; Dec 2, 2016 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davidflies
I read online that American Airlines policy is that a passenger must be able to fit in his seat without encroaching on the seat next to him and be able to fit with the arm rest down.

I just did a flight yesterday LAX-PHL on AA. I had the aisle seat and the guy next to me in the middle seat took up approx 25-30% of my seat. He could not put the arm rest down. My arm was smushed in his blubbery stomach and I had to sit crooked with my left foot in the plane aisle. I wake up today and my back is killing me from how I had to sit. And to top it off he shoveled potato chips in his face so fast the crumbs were falling out of his mouth and landing on me. Gross.

I paid for 100% of a seat, not 70% of a seat.

What would the best way to handle this type of situation be? I did not want to seem rude and bring it up and embarass the guy, but I really suffered as a result of AA not enforcing their policy. Has anyone here encountered this and what is the best course of action without humiliating someone or causing a scene?
You don't accept the seat that you can't sit in in the first place.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Claim the seat is non-operational (due to 30% of it being "missing" and the armrest being non-functional).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I would certainly object if the pax next to me tried to keep the arm rest raised.

IIRC, the arm rests have to be down for takeoff and landing, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.