Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by davidflies
I read online that American Airlines policy is that a passenger must be able to fit in his seat without encroaching on the seat next to him and be able to fit with the arm rest down.

I just did a flight yesterday LAX-PHL on AA. I had the aisle seat and the guy next to me in the middle seat took up approx 25-30% of my seat. He could not put the arm rest down. My arm was smushed in his blubbery stomach and I had to sit crooked with my left foot in the plane aisle. I wake up today and my back is killing me from how I had to sit. And to top it off he shoveled potato chips in his face so fast the crumbs were falling out of his mouth and landing on me. Gross.

I paid for 100% of a seat, not 70% of a seat.

What would the best way to handle this type of situation be? I did not want to seem rude and bring it up and embarass the guy, but I really suffered as a result of AA not enforcing their policy. Has anyone here encountered this and what is the best course of action without humiliating someone or causing a scene?
Speaking as a tall, wide, fat guy who can't fit in one seat (and I buy two seats so I won't inconvenience anyone else), my opinion is that you should never have sat down in the first place - you should have found the FA and reported that there is someone sitting in your seat. No matter how hard they tried to tell you to "try", you should have refused to sit down and simply kept repeating, "I can't sit in my seat, there is already someone sitting in it."

One should always take the high road and never refer to fat people as fat in public, never resort to name-calling or body shaming, and never raise a ruckus that will embarrass the customer of size. However, one should also never accept less than what one has paid for, and never sit down in half an airplane seat.

The COS has a responsibility to purchase two seats if he doesn't fit properly in one. If he fails to do so, then the airline has the responsibility of either finding him two available seats, or off-loading him, to prevent him from taking a seat that someone else has paid for.

A COS infringing upon someone else's seat is simply a form of seat poaching, and should be dealt with in the same manner as any other seat poach - quietly give the poacher an opportunity to vacate without sacrificing dignity, but if they refuse, use any legal means available, including (in the most extreme circumstances) having them removed from the aircraft by the police and charged with trespassing and refusal to obey the lawful instructions of a flight attendant.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pinniped
If you're standing there in the forward galley complaining about the situation, the Captain is likely going to give you two choices: sit back down or deplane, we're closing the door with or without you.

If you start talking about safety or the FAA, one of those choices goes away.
Tin wings on a dress shirt don't impress me all that much. While he can off-load me in favour of a POS the matter most certainly won't end there.

But this thread does give me the thought that should this situation arise a mobile phone snapshot of the POS might be a good idea.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Speaking as a tall, wide, fat guy who can't fit in one seat (and I buy two seats so I won't inconvenience anyone else), my opinion is that you should never have sat down in the first place - you should have found the FA and reported that there is someone sitting in your seat. No matter how hard they tried to tell you to "try", you should have refused to sit down and simply kept repeating, "I can't sit in my seat, there is already someone sitting in it."

One should always take the high road and never refer to fat people as fat in public, never resort to name-calling or body shaming, and never raise a ruckus that will embarrass the customer of size. However, one should also never accept less than what one has paid for, and never sit down in half an airplane seat.

The COS has a responsibility to purchase two seats if he doesn't fit properly in one. If he fails to do so, then the airline has the responsibility of either finding him two available seats, or off-loading him, to prevent him from taking a seat that someone else has paid for.

A COS infringing upon someone else's seat is simply a form of seat poaching, and should be dealt with in the same manner as any other seat poach - quietly give the poacher an opportunity to vacate without sacrificing dignity, but if they refuse, use any legal means available, including (in the most extreme circumstances) having them removed from the aircraft by the police and charged with trespassing and refusal to obey the lawful instructions of a flight attendant.
Well said.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The airlines' policies are clear. It is the COS that should be moved or removed. If the airline employee tries to make you move to another seat ask for the complaint resolution officer (CRO). The CRO will know the proper procedure and will make sure that it is followed. This applies to all US airlines.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by LarryJ
The airlines' policies are clear. It is the COS that should be moved or removed. If the airline employee tries to make you move to another seat ask for the complaint resolution officer (CRO). The CRO will know the proper procedure and will make sure that it is followed. This applies to all US airlines.
is there going to be a CRO at a small outstation that only has three daily flights operated by 50- or 76-seat jets in regional affiliate colors? wouldn't "ask the station manager to contact the CRO at the nearest hub" be a more realistic approach?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
is there going to be a CRO at a small outstation that only has three daily flights operated by 50- or 76-seat jets in regional affiliate colors?
The Air-Carrier Access Act (ACAA) requires the airline to have a CRO "immediately available, even if by telephone".
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
I would certainly object if the pax next to me tried to keep the arm rest raised.

IIRC, the arm rests have to be down for takeoff and landing, anyway.
Delta says "aisle" armrests.

Before we take off, we need to make sure our seat is upright, our aisle armrests are lowered, our tray table is put away, and all carry-on luggage is properly stowed.

The obesity rule that I have read does say that the arm rest has to be able to be lowered, but (on Delta anyway), it's only the aisle armrest that we are instructed to lower for landing.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
But this thread does give me the thought that should this situation arise a mobile phone snapshot of the POS might be a good idea.
Good idea.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Delta says "aisle" armrests.

Before we take off, we need to make sure our seat is upright, our aisle armrests are lowered, our tray table is put away, and all carry-on luggage is properly stowed.

The obesity rule that I have read does say that the arm rest has to be able to be lowered, but (on Delta anyway), it's only the aisle armrest that we are instructed to lower for landing.
For people in an aisle seat, this sounds like a solution. Simply activate the lever to raise the aisle armrest, and sit so that part of your body is in the aisle (not hard when someone is taking up half your seat). When they come around asking you to lower the armrest, you can say, "I cain't" and point to the other armrest.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lloydah
Instead of having to ask to be re seated it is perhaps more pertinent to ask why the GS or CC don't automatically cope with this. The paying customer is again the one to have to initiate proceedings when those who are paid to do the job wait for the sky to fall in before acting.
I think you probably can guess why: while it's their job, they don't want to deal with the uncomfortable situation so they just hope the inconvenienced passenger just deals with it so they can avoid the confrontation and get the flight out on time.

I have a friend who is like 350lbs and I researched this issue but he ultimately didn't follow my advice. As was stated in an earlier post WN has the best policy for this. He remembered the bad press WN has gotten in the past so he didn't listen to me despite me quoting him WN's current policy. (Another factor probably is ORD is like a 15-20 min drive for us, while MDW is way farther, even with no traffic. The WN policy, as stated above let's you reserve two seats, and refunds you the money after the flight as long as you request ir.

He flew AA instead as he said he didn't have a problem with them when he was even larger (he has lost some weight.) He didn't report any issues but I wouldn't want to sit by him.

Just before I was about to post, I realized that my budget flights on Spirit and Frontier could also work for him in that the discounted seats are sometimes cheaper at 2x price vs 1x a WN flight.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I think you probably can guess why: while it's their job, they don't want to deal with the uncomfortable situation so they just hope the inconvenienced passenger just deals with it so they can avoid the confrontation and get the flight out on time.
Yup. You have to make it their problem or nothing will be done.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pittpanther
Seven pages of replies, and not a single instance of a passenger being successful engaging a FA or GA to enforce a POS policy. So that appears to be a failed strategy. Unless someone can provide examples where it has worked...
I had a POS next to me recently. He nonchalantly said to me, "we won't be able to put the arm rest down," like that should be fine. He sat down and we were in contact from shoulder to knee.

I let the FA know. He first seemed not to take it seriously, like it was my problem to solve. I got up and let him know I wasn't going to simply go away. Seeing that helping would be the path of least resistance, he found two seats for my wife and me, presumably sending one PAX to where my wife was (leaving the middle next to the POS empty).

The solution seemed like win-win to me and probably would have happened earlier had the POS let the GA know of the problem rather than simply making it someone else's problem.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Henla
I had a POS next to me recently. He nonchalantly said to me, "we won't be able to put the arm rest down," like that should be fine. He sat down and we were in contact from shoulder to knee.

I let the FA know. He first seemed not to take it seriously, like it was my problem to solve. I got up and let him know I wasn't going to simply go away. Seeing that helping would be the path of least resistance, he found two seats for my wife and me, presumably sending one PAX to where my wife was (leaving the middle next to the POS empty).

The solution seemed like win-win to me and probably would have happened earlier had the POS let the GA know of the problem rather than simply making it someone else's problem.
Why didn't they do that seating arrangement on check in. Annoying.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:33 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Henla
I had a POS next to me recently.
[...]
Seeing that helping would be the path of least resistance, he found two seats for my wife and me, presumably sending one PAX to where my wife was (leaving the middle next to the POS empty).

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Let me guess... the new seats were how many rows behind your original one?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
One possible answer, though not the only one, is that the POS checked in at online or at a kiosk, and either selected a seat without any other person's involvement or was assigned a seat by a computer that didn't know how wide he/she was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.