Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by timfountain
Well made points, thanks for all the feedback. You are of course all totally correct and I will start buying 2 seats, paying for the second one out of my own pocket as I don't think my employer will not pay for it. It may cost, oh I don't know, perhaps another $20k per year out of my pocket, but hey, let's not even think of blaming the airlines for specifying smaller and smaller seat widths, oh no, I'd never to that.
Airlines didn't specify smaller seats. The majority of the passengers did, in order to keep cost down.

Originally Posted by mmff
Passengers have chosen, time after time, to have smaller seats for smaller prices. If you do not fit in one seat, you have to buy two. It's as simple as it gets.
Originally Posted by timfountain
Thank you, thank you. I fully agree. It really is that simple, I wonder why I couldn't see it until your brilliant analysis that totally summarized all the angles. Once again, appreciate the help resolving this complex issue.
The sarcasm in your last couple of posts aside, the issue is not particularly complex. mmff's solution is precisely correct. The airlines have bigger seats available, at a higher price. If you're too big to fit in the standard airline seat, blame your parents.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Airlines didn't specify smaller seats. The majority of the passengers did, in order to keep cost down.
Can you cite your source? Is there a survey anywhere, any time, where travelers were asked, "Do you want smaller seats?" and they said yes?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
That would be great. I know of several large people who would would love the opportunity to sit in coach for an extra supplement but don't want to pay double (i.e. two seats). And it would be especially welcome on the routes where there is nothing but coach seats (or at least coach width seats).
Regular size folks would like that too.

Bugs me when everyone tells a POS to upgrade to 1st. Sometimes First only has an extra inch of room. Hardly the saviour. Also, some people who suggest that assume everyone has tons of money.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting this thread surfaced up. Well, this happened to me when I came home last week (a 1900+ mile flight) and my first reaction was thinking about this thread

I was the last to board. He also initially took my aisle seat because "the flight attendant told me to take this [aisle] seat." I insisted it was my seat so he moved back to the middle seat.

It actually was not too bad. The "overflow" was minor. He is aware he is big and did not move much. So, he bumped into me a lot less than some other much smaller people. I was feeling sorry for him that he had to be stuck in such a restricted space for almost 5 hours.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Well the bottom line is that, as a whole, the population in the western world generally is getting wider." Is it possible to get airlines to acknowledge this fact by providing seats that won't be so uncomfortable, because if it isn't the situation will simply get worse and we can all see the grief it causes at the moment. There are some interesting, practical and relatively cheap ideas here that would alleviate the problem. Don't we all feel like slapping the CEOs until they see sense? I bet the first airline to try something new - and I don't mean reducing the width to 4 inches! - would soon start a trend and make a profit.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Can you cite your source? Is there a survey anywhere, any time, where travelers were asked, "Do you want smaller seats?" and they said yes?
Yes, there is a survey. It's taken every day. It's called "people buying tickets". They are voting with their wallets. E+ seats, with more leg room, usually are only about 10% of economy seating. But they sell last. Economy will sell out but there are still E+ seats available. Clear choice of preference for cost over comfort.

The seats on planes used to be wider with much more legroom. Then came the LCCs who offered smaller seats, less legroom and limited service but with lower cost. The flying public voted with their wallets to accept the LCC deal. Other airline had no choice but to adapt.

Most people vote the same way when they fly. After all they can buy F on domestic or B on international and get a much more comfortable seat. If they don't, then they are voting that cost is more important to them than comfort.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Yes, there is a survey. It's taken every day. It's called "people buying tickets". They are voting with their wallets. E+ seats, with more leg room, usually are only about 10% of economy seating. But they sell last. Economy will sell out but there are still E+ seats available. Clear choice of preference for cost over comfort.
But extra legroom isn't what we're talking about here - we're really talking extra width. "Comfort" doesn't necessarily mean extra legroom.

I wouldn't ever pay for an E+ seat with extra legroom, because I don't have long legs and I don't care about extra legroom. I don't like bulkhead seats or emergency exit rows. However, I would pay the same amount of money for an upgrade to E+ (or whatever you want to call it, depending on the airline) for even an extra 1.5" of width.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
But extra legroom isn't what we're talking about here - we're really talking extra width. "Comfort" doesn't necessarily mean extra legroom.

I wouldn't ever pay for an E+ seat with extra legroom, because I don't have long legs and I don't care about extra legroom. I don't like bulkhead seats or emergency exit rows. However, I would pay the same amount of money for an upgrade to E+ (or whatever you want to call it, depending on the airline) for even an extra 1.5" of width.
The question asked of me was the survey that passengers prefer cost over comfort. I cited it. Legroom is only one example. LCCs came in with narrower seats, less legroom, less recline, poorer food, etc. and we the flying public voted with our wallets that cost was more important. And we continue to vote that way today.

There are seats in domestic First that are wider and have more legroom and better cushions and recline more and you get better food. And they cost more.

Cast your vote on your next flight.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
As stated when this thread was first started, telling someone to plunk down $2,000 to sit in first ($6,000 for biz on international) is not a workable solution. Telling someone to buy a second seat at the gate isn't very workable, since the vast majority of passengers won't do it. If the airlines were to try and enforce it more, they bad press and lawsuits would put a stop to it quickly (remember Kevin Smith?).

So, with planes routinely 100% full, you're right back to the fact that you can complain to an FA or GA, but all they're going to tell you is sorry, and to tough it out. Mitigating the problem - such as sitting on the aisle - is about what you're left with. If you keep complaining that the POS needs to get a second seat or he/she must leave, then the POS will get a second seat - yours, as you're the one offloaded for interfering with a flight crew.

Now, one solution could theoretically be to set up, in coach, a system like European domestic biz class. It's just coach, but with the middle seat blocked. The other two seats in that row would be for sale only, and not for a Y or M price. Never cheap, but somewhere like an E fare and up. Less than first or biz, and less than having to buy a second seat at a Y fare at the gate.

As far as making seats wider, on some planes you could, but on 737.757, you can't really put in wider seats. They're narrow planes. But, there's usually not much else on domestic routes these days.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catocony
As stated when this thread was first started, telling someone to plunk down $2,000 to sit in first ($6,000 for biz on international) is not a workable solution.
Why not?

Originally Posted by catocony
Telling someone to buy a second seat at the gate isn't very workable, since the vast majority of passengers won't do it.
And there is your answer. "Won't" do it. But that simply means they are making a choice. It's not worth $2,000 to them so they don't pay it. Doesn't mean they can't. It means that they prefer to spend the $2,000 on something more important to them. (food, clothing)

Life is about choices.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Yes, life is about choices. However, the airlines will not force a passenger to fork over thousands of dollars just to placate another passenger. Most men would fall into the category of "crowders" due to shoulder width. Very tall people too. Pregnant women might very well fall into it. It would become very subjective and is thus completely unworkable.

On your average 737, with say 130 people or so in coach, probably 30%-50% would be consider a crowder if you go by who can completely fit every body part - shoulders, elbows, hips, knees - into a 17" wide box. Yes, there are examples where people weighing 400 pounds or are over 6'10" are in coach and clearly can't fit in a single seat. But those examples are very rare. I've flown over 1.8 million bis miles and have seen maybe a half dozen examples of that.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Just wait till your health care bills escalate from the POS Factor.

This is all about responsible decisions, but then we had a Credit Crisis, they did not want to pay their loans back...few Riots from people stealing and trying to shoot a few cops..a few years ago it was they were taking over empty homes, and private property.,

But they they did not build that....Have another bit...
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
All people are overweight for the same reason: their body creates hormones that make them hungry and likely to eat more calories than they burn. It takes a tremendous amount of effort and vigilance for a very obese person to lose and maintain weight loss.
Not all people are overweight, and not all overweight people are overweight for the same reason.

It would certainly be helpful if the airlines sold at an upgraded price seats next to a "blocked" seat. Thus two people needing more room could each pay a bit extra and both parties would have the extra space they need at half the cost of paying for a full extra seat.
Yes, that would help. But it would require competence on the part of the airlines, which isn't all that likely.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WillCAD
"Do you want smaller seats at a lower price or more space for a higher price?" American Airlines found that people won't pay $10 extra for more space (at least, not enough would to make it a profitable tradeoff for them).

I trust reality, and people acting as they choose, over surveys.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lloydah
Well the bottom line is that, as a whole, the population in the western world generally is getting wider." Is it possible to get airlines to acknowledge this fact by providing seats that won't be so uncomfortable, because if it isn't the situation will simply get worse and we can all see the grief it causes at the moment. There are some interesting, practical and relatively cheap ideas here that would alleviate the problem. Don't we all feel like slapping the CEOs until they see sense? I bet the first airline to try something new - and I don't mean reducing the width to 4 inches! - would soon start a trend and make a profit.
You can bet that all you want; reality has shown otherwise. Airlines tried giving more space for more money, and passengers balked and went to the cheaper airlines. They're selling almost all their seats now; what sort of "sense" do you want them to see? That they're making you unhappy by making money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.