Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ethical Question: Amenities kits in F/J left behind by psgrs. fair game?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethical Question: Amenities kits in F/J left behind by psgrs. fair game?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nrr
Does AA reuse leftover amenity kits?
Many -- most? -- amenity kits I've seen are in some way sealed; CX uses a thread through the zipper or tying the button loop on, older AA ones were in plastic wrap. No idea what they do with opened ones, but I'm pretty sure ones that are still sealed end up getting offered again.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've often seen FAs collecting sealed amenity kits that weren't used to I suppose be used on other flights. I wouldn't take an extra kit because I fly often enough that I don't need another one. The kit in my seat often doesn't get used because I prefer my own eye shades, socks and custom-made ear plugs. When I don't use mine it is returned to the FA.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
I think the poster means Acqua di Parma's Colonia line (based on my own Google search).
^

You're right. It is Acqua di Parma. The nearly spanish spelling was a red herring (Aqua de Colonia instead of Agua de Colonia)
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The Hotel President Wilson in Geneva uses Aqua de Colonia toiletries. I did not leave any behind.
Of course, the difference is that you paid for the hotel room in which these toiletries were supplied and have a reasonable expectation that they are meant for you, the room renter.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by etch5895
Of course, the difference is that you paid for the hotel room in which these toiletries were supplied and have a reasonable expectation that they are meant for you, the room renter.
I said earlier that I do this as well when its toiletries I really like, but I'm pretty sure that the expectation is that you use them while you are in your room, not take them back home and use them there
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I usually see FAs collecting amenity kits and other items such as slippers from unoccupied F/J seats well before landing. I would assume that unopened items from occupied seats are similarly used on later flights. I would also assume that opened kits are discarded for hygiene.

I've also seen passengers ask for an additional kit as a souvenir and the FAs graciously providing them. These are garden variety kits; I've never seen a $300 or even $100 version.

Some hotels want you to take the branded toiletries home as they think this will remind you of a nice stay and want to come back.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
I said earlier that I do this as well when its toiletries I really like, but I'm pretty sure that the expectation is that you use them while you are in your room, not take them back home and use them there
What exactly is that expectation? If you paid to stay for a week, are you expected to make sure the initial toiletries last your entire stay? Do the hotels refill the toiletries each morning for the length of the stay as if the room had seven different bookings during the week.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sant
What exactly is that expectation? If you paid to stay for a week, are you expected to make sure the initial toiletries last your entire stay? Do the hotels refill the toiletries each morning for the length of the stay as if the room had seven different bookings during the week.
IME almost all hotels will refill/replace most toiletry items as needed. Exceptions can be bath sponges, sewing kits, etc. You can also request additional toiletry supplies from maids, housekeeping, or guest services. Luxury properties tend to be very generous.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME almost all hotels will refill/replace most toiletry items as needed. Exceptions can be bath sponges, sewing kits, etc. You can also request additional toiletry supplies from maids, housekeeping, or guest services. Luxury properties tend to be very generous.
We've always had a hotel replace the bathroom amenites each morning of our stays, plus the supplies for the inroom coffee maker and a couple of bottles of water. On the very rare times that they've missed an item, a call to housekeeping usually brings up a few extras as an "apology".

bj-21.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
This is a silly argument, as is the one a previous poster made about a laptop. It's fair to assume that the owner of a laptop or handbag did not intend to leave it behind, whereas we can assume that someone who left an amenity kit did. There's a difference between forgotten and abandoned.
I don't stay at true luxury hotels, but I stay at InterContinentals a fair amount of the time. Usually I get two full sets of toiletries; one set is in the shower and when they're empty, I move the extra set into the shower, and that extra set gets replaced. If I want to steal them, I put the second set in my bag and it gets replaced.

Sometimes, like at the London Park Lane, there's always only one set and it gets replaced daily. This seems wasteful to me, and I actually prefer the first approach cause then I can take home unused ones if I wanted to. Of course I could ask housekeeping for more if really necessary.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Oct 6, 2013 at 2:46 am Reason: grammar
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:17 am

As a J pax, I have never taken a kit out of the airplane. I wouldn't mind at all if another pax grabs it. In fact, I'm thinking I'll left them on the armrest to make it more evident it's free to grab in the future.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond

While I'm not sure how I feel about the amenity kits, personally I don't/wouldn't take them, I think hotels and especially luxury properties is a different matter regarding toiletries and amenities It's marketing and branding in many cases. Many items are packaged so that you will remember the hotel in the future and become a returning repeat customer as you use them at home. Some hotels are bucking this trend and becoming more environmentally friendly by having dispensers in the showers for instance.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Picking those amenities up never cross my mind but the debate is more like on simple ethics. It's the same a debate on whether you would pick up a seemly abandoned $20 note on the floor...

I don't stay at true luxury hotels, but I stay at InterContinentals a fair amount of the time. Usually I get two full sets of toiletries; one set is in the shower and when they're empty, I move the extra set into the shower, and that extra set gets replaced. If I want to steal them, I put the second set in my bag and it gets replaced.

Sometimes, like at the London Park Lane, there's always only one set and it gets replaced daily. This seems wasteful to me, and I actually prefer the first approach cause then I can take home unused ones if I wanted to. Of course I could ask housekeeping for more if really necessary.
I would normally ask housekeeping for more and most of the time they are kind enough to bring more amenities up for my use.

Sometimes taking a bottle of shower foam home is just that I like the amenities - true enough sometimes drives me to buy some of the products too.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Quote:

Yes, there is a difference, and that difference is intention. There is no way you can know for certain what the intention of owner of the kit was unless you ask them. You can make assumptions, but they will only be your personal assumptions, unconnected to verifiable fact.
Yes, yes, yes! I find the amenity kits, especially the brown ones DL used to use TPAC, to be very handy for future travel. I use one for carrying power adapters, lightning cables, USB adapters, etc. Another one was used as a perfectly-sized toiletries kit, until...my last flight UA F from PVG, I grabbed the kit. Makes a nice new toiletry bag - can be hung in the hotel!

The last time I flew DL in 2011, I meant to keep them both directions (my intent) but forgot. The last time I flew UA J same thing. I can see where another pax might think I meant to leave them, but I hadn't.

But, since I can't get back on the plane to get it, once I've deplaned, I think it technically becomes lost. When I find lost property, I always work to find the owner. Therefore, I can never know the intent of the original owner. I have to assume that it doesn't belong to me.

So agree your great point- if you don't know, one should not assume that the item is free for the taking. Assuming something is lost, and you have no hope of responsibly returning it, better left to the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.