Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most special food/drinks you have had on a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most special food/drinks you have had on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: USAir, Delta, ChoiceHotels, Marriott
In 2011, a flight in economy near the back (not sure of the class) from HKG to NRT on ANA Airlines.

Warm towels, delicious scallop appetizers, some sort of shrimp plate, flight attendants coming through the cabin every 10 minutes or so with more wine ... etc.

Nicer than any domestic business class flight I have been on in many years.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
smuggled in-n-out on a red eye from LAX-BOS a few years back, made the mistake of actually eating it at mid-flight as one can not resist a double double...and it made the rest of the flight 'memorable'
What happened exactly?!
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:11 pm

Anybody got lobster?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; 2 Million miler
Caviar on board a Malaysian flight from Mumbai to Singapore. There only a few of us in business class and I was the only one having it...as much as I wanted!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
The Trader Vic Mai Tais on United's First Class - accompanied by Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts - were a great start to the service.

Air New Zealand's hors d'oeuvres tray presented in First Class on a flight from LAX to Papeete back in 1981 was a thing of beauty. Same goes for UTA's feathered fois gras presentation on the way back.

Eastern's double baked potatoes were the perfect accompaniments to its sirloin steaks back in the 70s.

National's fabulous Key Lime Pies were sublime!

Texas International's huge drinks, served in 12oz Texas Tumblers were fantastic!

Western's ice cream sundaes, served from the cart and topped with Amaretto were to die for!

The Black Forest cake I was served on a Continental DC-10 flight between Newark and Denver was perhaps the finest BFC I've ever eaten.

QANTAS served me a memorable cioppino between SFO and HNL back in 1976...

The best risotto I have ever eaten was in First Class aboard a British Airways flight between Los Angeles and London.

Overall award for best coach meals goes to just about anything served by TWA's Ambassador Service flights back in the 1970s. Amazing service!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Great reading everyone's posts...thanks for sharing!

Currently, I love the caviar LH serves in F, toast with sour cream and chopped egg whites and yolks. I can eat the entire offering if I could.

Going back in time, two stand out...

Concorde's evening flights on BA to LHR from JFK, up until the last flight, served amazing meals. For many years (10 years?), BA offered, as a choice of appetizer, a huge lobster mango salad where there were so many lobster pieces, it would overflow off the plate. Beluga caviar was served on the side. I would always get the lamb, with a simple red wine sauce, served with potatoes for dinner; it was like eating at a five-star restaurant in New York. Dining was like a celebration - and the scent of 1992 Dom filled the cabin because it was being poured constantly (and the Krug Brut). Just great times.

The return brunch to JFK from LHR wasn't as exciting.

I have to figure out a way to post a picture of a desert served on SQ from FRA-SIN in F class, it was so incredibly presented, and equally delicious, I took a picture (the only food picture I have ever taken on an airplane, in all my years of travel). It was a two scoops of ice cream, one pistachio and one vanilla, served in a waffle cup, with pistachio shavings and caramel lines on top of it, truly incredible presentation.

Thanks for letting me share!

UG
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by MrKendall
In 2011, a flight in economy near the back (not sure of the class) from HKG to NRT on ANA Airlines.

Warm towels, delicious scallop appetizers, some sort of shrimp plate, flight attendants coming through the cabin every 10 minutes or so with more wine ... etc.

Nicer than any domestic business class flight I have been on in many years.
what is amazing about ANA's service is their consistency, especially in premium cabins.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:53 pm

Another simple pleasure: Cheeseburgers.

Pre-Merger Continental Airlines planes were equipped with grills.

Is any other commercial airline equipment equipped to grill a hamburger?

The greatest tragedy may be the merger with UA. The new August 2013 issue of Hemispheres no longer lists cheeseburger as a meal option. Is the cheeseburger now just a thing of the past? Did Jeff Smisek just deprive PMCO customers of their cheeseburgers?

The travesty so far, has been the mixing of PMCO 737-s and PMUA A319/A320/etc between the PMCO and PMUA routes. Where cheeseburgers were an expected option on PMCO routes, they ceased to be an option when PMUA equipment flies the route with no grill capability.

Also on my historical list are the warm chocolate chip cookies served on boarding on Midwest Airlines. That's economy class.
I've seen warm chocolate chip cookies in domestic first class on occasional routes on other airlines, but not in economy.

Thanks to this thread and all its contributors, I am now hungry and have to go eat something. Later.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Another simple pleasure: Cheeseburgers.
UA used to serve cheeseburgers. I remember getting them even on short flights like DEN-DFW in the mid-90's. I always found them heavy and greasy though.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
Not at all ostentatious, but KE's bibimbap in Y is a highlight on ORD-ICN flights. I haven't sat in the front on KE (yet), but I speculate that they get dol-sot bibimbap.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Cherry juice on TK - it's kind of a national obsession anyway, and given my state of hangoverness, tasted like nectar.

Champagne in Y on AF long hauls - not particularly good champagne, but just nice to have it as an option and not feel quite so cattle class.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by opusone
BR Y Hello Kitty meals on Hello Kitty flights
I hesitate to ask, but what is in a Hello Kitty meal and what is a Hello Kitty flight?

Most special thing I remember having is champagne on a Cathay Pacific flight from HK to Singapore. It was Christmas Day, I was 14 (and sitting with my rather liberal aunt, parents in the next row) and there were probably 15 people on the whole wide body. FA's were in a party mood and liberal with both food and beverage.

Least special when something special was expected: F on NW SFO-HNL-SFO. Both ways mediocre meals followed by chocolate "sorbet" which was really quite nasty.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Finite Elephant
Not at all ostentatious, but KE's bibimbap in Y is a highlight on ORD-ICN flights. I haven't sat in the front on KE (yet), but I speculate that they get dol-sot bibimbap.
I was very happy to get this on a KE flight from ICN-JFK several years ago. On the same trip, when I was flying KE from ICN-ULN, I also absconded with several of the little toothpaste-style tubes of hot pepper paste that KE puts on their meal trays. That paste had a wonderful impact on a lot of bland meals in Mongolia!

The food that made the greatest positive impression on me was on a 1988 SU flight from BRU-SVO, the first time I traveled to Russia (the Soviet Union, in those days). I got a miracle upgrade on that flight to F and was served a crabmeat-stuffed avocado as a starter. It just about made up for all the vile crap I was served on many domestic SU flights over the next dozen years
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I hesitate to ask, but what is in a Hello Kitty meal and what is a Hello Kitty flight?

Most special thing I remember having is champagne on a Cathay Pacific flight from HK to Singapore. It was Christmas Day, I was 14 (and sitting with my rather liberal aunt, parents in the next row) and there were probably 15 people on the whole wide body. FA's were in a party mood and liberal with both food and beverage.

Least special when something special was expected: F on NW SFO-HNL-SFO. Both ways mediocre meals followed by chocolate "sorbet" which was really quite nasty.
You get a trayful of hello kitty themed foods and more - kitty shaped cake, kitty shaped fish cake, hello kitty placemats, hello kitty napkins...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
SQ F Lobster thermidor. I also like the spare rib rice pot they served on CX F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.