Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most special food/drinks you have had on a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most special food/drinks you have had on a flight?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In terms of the *best* food/drink I've ever had on an airplane, my first LH F trip will probably always be the most memorable. The caviar spread, the Champagne, the JW Blue...that was pretty special.

But for this thread, for something a little different, I'll offer up an interesting meal in a place you would never expect it: on a short domestic flight on an AA Fokker 100.

The year was 2000: I was working in Dallas and flying to Chicago and DC semi-often. When Legend started flying a premium-service offering out of DAL, AA matched them with 56-seat F100's and all-F service. It was a Y price and a Y booking code, so I drove over to DAL to fly them a couple times. The exit row seat had probably 70" pitch.

Anyway, on Friday afternoons, I recall a full plated three-course meal service - a quite tasty lobster quesadilla being the entree. The winelist was on par with a long-haul J service. (e.g., Full bottles, multiple choices, actual glassware.) Certainly no Dom, but quaffable California wines...nicer than you'd get in a standard DFW-IAD F cabin. AA put some real effort into killing off Legend: I was also flying YX a bit at the time, and this was a full notch better than YX.

Alas, Legend did not last long. Once they were gone, so were the pimped-F100's. I flew AA to DAL a few years later when they were competing with WN for MCI business, but there was no 56-seat limit or premium-service expectation, so it was just a standard AA flight. In the end, WN won that battle and AA no longer flies to DAL.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Ice wine on American First Class from DFW to NRT a couple years ago. Best wine I have ever tried. Potent and sweet - a deadly combination.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:46 pm

In 1988, I flew Pan Am Clipper Class(business class) from Frankfurt to JFK.

Right after lunch service, two flight attendants came up to me and presented
me with a bottle of champagne and an 8-inch birthday cake with my name
on it. They started signing "Happy Birthday" and a few other passengers
joined it.

I later learned that Pan Am did that for frequent flyers who flew on the day
of their birthday. Very nice. Too bad Pan Am isn't around anymore.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by MetricFlyer
In 1988, I flew Pan Am Clipper Class(business class) from Frankfurt to JFK.

Right after lunch service, two flight attendants came up to me and presented
me with a bottle of champagne and an 8-inch birthday cake with my name
on it. They started signing "Happy Birthday" and a few other passengers
joined it.

I later learned that Pan Am did that for frequent flyers who flew on the day
of their birthday. Very nice. Too bad Pan Am isn't around anymore.
Actually, the birthday cake could be requested through Reservations. This was one of the examples cited in the bankruptcy case in allegations that the airline engaged in frivolous spending.

I never knew that so never ordered it. Do you have a picture?

I was a PanAm pax who liked to explore the different and sometimes obscure choices they had on the menus. My favorite Y meal LHR-JFK was designated a Hindu meal, actually yoghurt, fruit and nuts.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Actually, the birthday cake could be requested through Reservations. This was one of the examples cited in the bankruptcy case in allegations that the airline engaged in frivolous spending.

I never knew that so never ordered it. Do you have a picture?

I was a PanAm pax who liked to explore the different and sometimes obscure choices they had on the menus. My favorite Y meal LHR-JFK was designated a Hindu meal, actually yoghurt, fruit and nuts.
Oh.. great... are you saying that I was indirectly responsible for Pan Am's demise? (by accepting the birthday cake) Pan Am was and is still is my favorite airline. They had real class. These days, most airlines feel like the Greyhound bus. On second thought, Greyhound bus is sometimes better because at least they have free wifi on all buses. I don't know any airline that offers free wifi yet.

I wish I had my iPhone with me at the time so I could have taken a picture. Oh wait... iPhone had not been invented yet in 1988. Al Gore also had not invented the "internet" yet. Wow... how the heck did I survive those dark ages? : D
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by opusone
BR Y Hello Kitty meals on Hello Kitty flights
This exists?

I will not go to the airport and try to take this flight...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:25 pm

Oh.. great... are you saying that I was indirectly responsible for Pan Am's demise? (by accepting the birthday cake)
Then I have equal blame in ordering meals for religions to which I did not belong.

Pan Am was and is still is my favorite airline. They had real class.
Indeed. ^ As discussed in another thread, some of us watched the ill-fated PanAm ABC show of last year for the nostalgic feelings it brought out.

I wish I had my iPhone with me at the time so I could have taken a picture. Oh wait... iPhone had not been invented yet in 1988. Al Gore also had not invented the "internet" yet. Wow... how the heck did I survive those dark ages? : D
Do these names mean anything to you?
  • Polaroid
  • Instamatic
  • Brownie

Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:30 pm

Do these names mean anything to you?
  • Polaroid
  • Instamatic
  • Brownie

I still have my ancient Polarid. It sits in the basement with my 1981 Sony Beta VCR and Atari console. ....but what's a Brownie?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:21 pm

I still have my ancient Polarid. It sits in the basement with my 1981 Sony Beta VCR and Atari console. ....but what's a Brownie?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(camera) My father had the one on the lower right.

The whole point of all this is that lots of people owned cameras in the Sixties and Seventies. Some of them flew Pan Am.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:38 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(camera) My father had the one on the lower right.

The whole point of all this is that lots of people owned cameras in the Sixties and Seventies. Some of them flew Pan Am.
I still got Pan Am miles in my Delta SkyMiles account!

See here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post21301379
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:40 pm

Japanese mikan orange juice
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by opusone
You get a trayful of hello kitty themed foods and more - kitty shaped cake, kitty shaped fish cake, hello kitty placemats, hello kitty napkins...
Um, why?

and this cat owner can't help mentally adding hello kitty litter to the list
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Fresh strawberry shortcake for dessert on Ozark Airlines, LGA-STL. The rest of the meal was nice, too, but the strawberry shortcake was outstanding - tasted like it had just been whipped up in the galley.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not a foodie or a drinker. I like simple foods so nothing in particular stands out to me.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm not a foodie or a drinker. I like simple foods so nothing in particular stands out to me.
So you are posting in this thread because...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.