Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Places You Loved That No Longer Exist

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I second the Stage Deli. Loved that place.
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Luchow's in New York City; Berghoff Cafe in Chicago's loop
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
I visited in 1975 and Intourist ran the entire show then for tours, hotels in Moscow and Leningrad, etc.
I traveled independently to Russia in '89 - no Intourist involvement...other than staying in one of their hotels.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by transportprof
Luchow's in New York City; Berghoff Cafe in Chicago's loop
There were a few great Chinese restaurants in NY's Chinatown that are no more. They come and go so frequently I try not to get attached to them.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Kai tek. The landings were awesome. Right on the water.

And I also miss TWA and in my hometown. River view amusement park. Site of many happy childhood memories.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. It was the most relaxing and most authentically Hawaiian resort in the islands. We used to fly in there in the 1970's on a Cessna from HNL and land on the resort's landing strip. So great getting out of the plane right in front of the "lobby" and being practically on the beach. On our last visit, a few years ago, the service had drastically declined and we moved to the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. Kona Village ultimately was destroyed by natural forces.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 3:47 pm

WTC-NY, Disney Quest-Chicago, Circus World-Florida (I like theme parks, etc, Hotels that have changed brand and I don't stay at the new brand. There had been places that I have recommended to people and they have not been there anymore when they go. Now I tell them to verify information and/or check the website first.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Jano's Pizza in Cerritos, CA.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Meigs Field in Chicago. Pretty cool airport, that place was.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I traveled independently to Russia in '89 - no Intourist involvement...other than staying in one of their hotels.
Yes, but it was a little different in 1975.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Borders in Europe. May sound strange, but they made my childhood travels exciting. Names like Kiefersfelden, Waidhaus, Passau-Suben Autobahn, Brenner, Drewitz-Dreilinden, etc weren't just associated with long waits and encounters with old-fashioned bureaucracy, but also stood for the beginnings (or ends) of exciting adventures. (While we're at it, I miss individual currencies, too ... the simultaneously outdated and futuristic-looking Schilling notes, zero-tastic Lira, Francs printed on that flimsy yet oddly pleasant paper, the comfort emanated by a 1000 Mark note). Sweet memories!
Agree with the "borders" and "currencies" point! Indeed I still keep a lot of old currencies.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Didn't even know it was gone. That was the starting point for the first MS flight simulator games. I remember them fondly but never made it to the real airport.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Along with several other coastal towns that I liked a lot and one that I lived in, places like Rikuzentakata in Iwate, Japan.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
^

A thousand dittos.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by Craig6z
West Berlin before the wall came down. The city was electric, and the residents seemed to be living life to the fullest, on the presumption the WWIII could begin any day.

Visited again, 30 months after the border opened up, and the city had lost all of its appeal, and long time West residents had a clear antipathy toward those who used to live in the East.

This is just an observation about the old West Berlin city that no longer exists. The ability of those under communist control to take control of their life decisions, trumps IMO the loss of sense of community that used to exist in the Western zones.
I agree completely. Was there in 1983 for 3 months. In 1993 had started to get boring. In 2010, absolutely no 'edge' to the city at all. It was the political geography that made it so interesting before 1989.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.